IBM Reviews in Bethesda, MD | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 916 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 436 reviews)

"#PlayToWin"

Current Employee - Learning Leader in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Learning Leader in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leading edge technology with amazing people around

Cons

sometimes global complexity or bureaucracy can test your temper ,,,, just push on

Advice to Management

Full steam to Cloud and Cognitive investments

2. "Review"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

company pays less than other consulting firms

Cons

various opportunities to advance career

Advice to Management

Review

"IBM Review 2017"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM Technology and resources are some of the best in the marketplace. IBM's biggest and greatest assets are its people.

Cons

Timely delivery of innovation. Transformation for the business doesn't always match the innovation available for clients to benefit.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate strategies on workforce management. Remember the past and why IBM has been so successful, but learn from the past as well.

4. "Consultant"

Former Freelancer - Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Freelancer - Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

A workforce comprised of extraordinary thinkers, innovators, and implementers.

Cons

Too may "companies within a company".

Advice to Management

Lean and flatten the organization.

"Average but improving"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM is still a global powerhouse with a lot of opportunities if you can figure out how to navigate the bureaucracy. I’m on the consulting side called Global Business Solutions, rather than the more famous innovation side called Global Technical Solutions. As a consulting firm, they are about average. You tend to work on small teams and get to know people in your cadre. Those people are usually pretty good. They have also figured out how to recruit from colleges and hire a lot of very bright college grads and still train them. Most of the time, you are working with good people. There is also lots of on-line training available. On your own time, you can learn just about anything you want related to technology. They have amazing resources available to all employees, if you can find them.
    Senior management seems to be embracing actual change toward more modern business practices. Performance ratings are a little less arbitrary than they used to be. They are trying really hard to use agile methods in everything they do. They seem to have discovered--and are taking seriously--customer satisfaction.

Cons

It is very difficult to find resources. The benefits are continually reducing. For example, they no long match 401(k) contributions with each paycheck. They wait to see if you're still around at the end of the year and make a lump sum payment so they, not you, get the benefits of dollar-cost averaging. People management is an extra duty assigned to someone who is being rewarded for doing something else. Getting a helpful manager is luck-of the-draw (and the odds are no in your favor). Finding your next assignment or developing your skills is entirely up to you.

Advice to Management

Change the incentive structure for middle-managers; most of the executive sponsored improvements are not getting through that layer. Stop using utilization as a proxy for anything; it doesn't represent either revenue or quality. Remember when IBM used to actually solve business problems customers had instead of just selling boxes and the solutions we want to provide.

6. "A great Tech company"

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very flexible work environment conscious of work family balance
    Great technology company with a lot of innovative ideas

Cons

Sometimes hard to move up the Ladder and get promoted. Easier to leave the company and get rehired at a promoted level

7. "US Federal is a mess"

Former Employee - Business Unit Executive in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Business Unit Executive in Bethesda, MD

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Colleagues were nice.
    Pressure seemed a lot, but in retrospect was simple

Cons

Products, all of them, are clunky and uninspired
    Company doesn't meet any Federal regulations and doesn't seem to care
    Could care less about employees.
    Totally understaffed to sell and support the product lines that they offer
    Too many products, and not enough technical expertise. CTO organization is a disaster
    In summary, unfocused and unsuccessful.

Advice to Management

Pick a few things that you want to do well and be the best at them. Drop everything else.

8. "Dhruba"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home flexibility , good learning , huge knowledge base, diverse areas you can seek work

Cons

Slow growth , not best compensation , politics

Advice to Management

Be transparent to employees , be good to good employees, respect employees

"Company losing direction and out of touch"

Former Employee - Software Sales Representative in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Software Sales Representative in Bethesda, MD

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to telecommute, good mentors if you seek them out, career progression possible. I met some fantastic people and the best part about the job are the coworkers I work with... outside of them honestly it's an old boys club with a bunch of old white men running the show.

Cons

The company is trying to do too much and there is no clear vision. Layoffs are happening all the time because the company is not doing well - letting experienced people go in favor of cheaper younger people. You are (in sales) expected to have no outside life.. Culture is money and revenue over everything including client satisfaction. So much bureaucracy that you're going through at least 16 different people to get anything done. And honestly, there are some questionable business practices going on that in not comfortable with.

Advice to Management

... needs a total reorganization.

"IBM Summit Program Review"

Current Employee - Summit Program in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Summit Program in Bethesda, MD

Pros

The IBM Summit Program hired me (along with several hundred other millennials) for an intensive 6 month sales training course. The program includes guidance and interaction with people from varying branches of the company. Early on, a social culture with an emphasis on networking, teamwork, and problem solving was established. In the first learning lab, we were pushed to make a series of mock sales calls. We received constructive feedback from the sales advisors and our peers and then proceeded to watch and critique our fellow trainees as they made calls. It was one of the most productive learning exercises that I have ever been a part of... and I used to be a teacher. This company offers a wide range of opportunities in a variety of areas. I came in with an open mind and willingness to learn. It is a great place to be if you are open to constantly learning and adapting.

Cons

It is a very self-paced program. Some people choose to sit in the back row in the literal and figurative sense as opportunities pass them by. If you are highly intrinsically motivated and are interested in a culture of constant growth, this may be a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

From what it seems, people on the top end of the company love sharing insight with the new hires. I love this aspect of the company. I would urge management to continue to operate this way to benefit new IBMers.

Showing 41 of 33,154 reviews