IBM Reviews in Bethlehem, PA | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty

"Blue is bleeding badly"

Former Employee - Delivery Program Manager in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Throughout my career I experienced incredible teaming and access to cutting edge technology. Plenty of online training in any area of interest.

Cons

Financial realities of the economic climate has long forced the company to "Do more, with less". This has continually added stress and additional workload to those remaining after a resource action.

Advice to Management

Go back to the Watson ethos of company loyalty. Replacing IBMers with contractors has changed the culture to "just a line on the resume" instead of being a career.

IBM2016-04-16
  2. "Great company but very process have, has some drones."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is one of the largest technology companies in the world. If you put your mind to it, you can easily advance anywhere and fit a vast number of positions. The company has many resources and seems to pay well. Many very intelligent people (tech side at least), and you have a wealth of knowledge and potential at your hands. Not to mentioned the message this company's name sends on a resume for then future.

Cons

Some employees, especially sales orientied are very process heavy, seem like drones, mindlessly following the norm. As an Engineer, my work with other technical side people has been great, but the sales side seems solely interest in closing, making money, and moving on to the next. (I know this is what sales is, but some I've noticed will throw their own co-workers under the bus whenever convenient.

Advice to Management

Drop some of the bureaucratic management and re-structure your company culture. IBM seems to want the culture to be boring, dull, and just business. Learn from the startups of the world that you can mix work, fun, creativity, and a cool atmosphere, and your employees will thank you for it.

IBM2014-08-16
  3. "Pretty much been good to me over the years"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Usually work at home on Fridays, I like the travel, and the ability to work with a lot of different companies.

Cons

Cannot get promoted unless you want a pure sales role. No delivery partner track. Some managers do not recognize their resources as much as others.

Advice to Management

Provide utilization hours for training and mandatory meetings. Communicate our strategies more - rely less on self service through w3.

IBM2011-05-11