IBM Reviews in Boca Raton, FL | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "At times work life balance gets challenging" (in 1112 reviews)

• "Low Salary growth in comparison" (in 537 reviews)

1. "IBM Work Experience"

Former Employee - IT Specialist - Applications Developer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - IT Specialist - Applications Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has great respect for their employees and takes good care of them. The work is very interesting, challenging, and involves a wide range of clients. The work is never boring.

Cons

Schedules are very demanding, generally requiring quite a bit of overtime. Lots of pressure to complete projects on short schedules.

2. "Not the company it used to be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex time
    Immediate management and co-workers
    decent benefits, at least for now
    sometimes jobs can be exciting / interesting - but this can vary with little notice

Cons

Mid/Upper management struggling
    can have cut-throat politics at mid-management levels
    reducing US headcount for over a decade
    starting to view - and treat - workers as replacable/exchangable cogs, rather than as individuals

"Caution: Instability & Layoffs"

Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Contracts Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Internal education is frequent & diverse. Coworkers are some of the brightest & hardest working people in the industry. Great 401k 100% match to 6%

Cons

Constant & massive resource actions. Very low morale, everybody is nervous, unattainable sales quotas. Legacy top performing employees with 20+ years of valuable knowledge & experience are being let go with a mere 30 day severance for their decades of loyalty in favor of less skilled & lower salaried young college grads. Too many underwhelming middle & senior managers who should be let go instead. No accountability at the top line for 20 straight quarters of declining revenue.

"Sad state of affairs"

Current Employee - IT Senior Specialist in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - IT Senior Specialist in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Long time, hard working co-workers

Cons

Reduction in benefits
    No raises
    Expected to be on call 27x7x365 with no compensation
    Resource Actions are constant. Demoralizing
    Directionless management
    Our group has been re-organized so many times we don't know what to call ourselves
    One month severance, even after 25+ yrs service

Advice to Management

Financial engineering will only get you so far. Mistreatment of employees will last forever.

5. "Software Account Representative"

Former Employee - Software Sales Executive Small Business in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Software Sales Executive Small Business in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay & great benefits.

Cons

Always fearful that Big Blue will change direction. Numerous layoffs through the years I worked there.

Advice to Management

Consider top down layoffs when IBM doesn't quarterly revenue expectations for many quarters straight.

6. "Get used to change"

Current Employee - Brand Specialist in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Brand Specialist in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited support system. Great products and services. Name recognition.

Cons

Territories and managers change constantly.

7. "Senior Software Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, diverse employee population, ample travel opportunities, people are all great to work with, safe and non-discriminatory workplace

Cons

Moving as many programming jobs as possible to India, limited opportunity to hire into IBM in other countries for programming

Advice to Management

Stop moving all our jobs to India

8. "Summary"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Great benefits ; diversity of projects; opportunity to travel globally

Cons

Bureaucratic ; too big to fail

Advice to Management

Embrace cultural diversity but don't forget company origin or roots

"I wish management would have been honest about discrimination policies against women software engineers' ceiling."

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer - 27 Years in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer - 27 Years in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

I started the team who developed the first speech recognition software on PC's and embedded products in 1993 in Boca. The extended team included executives, Yortown research scientists with PhD's, and direct report employees. We worked on great technology, implementing the first speech enabled Netscape browser in 1995. The rappor and support from executives in Watson was exciting as wer the great PRODUCTS we created.

Cons

1) Being a woman Software Engineer, I was denied promotions beyond "Advisory" level, even with 27 years of successful projects, products and manager ratings. Many people thought I was Senior level because of my work and responsibilities. Several Senior level men held the same job I had after I did it.
    2) The current CEO got her props for bringing the Price Waterhouse people into IBM and spent HUGE $$$ doing it. At the same time, executive management didn't have the cahoonas to fight the battles necessary to WIN at the Personal Computer business, in spite of having invented it and Microsoft's ANTI-TRUST Judgement And they decimated the skilled developers from Boca into NC and TX in 1996. OS/2 Warp 4.0 was shipped in 1996, AT THE SAME TIME, moving 400 developers to Austin. The day after we shipped the product, IBM announced there would be the last release of OS/2. So, all the talented operating system developers were told their new assignments were device drivers for AIX. My job was to be the Planner for OS/2 - which is the place for requirements from the field for service releases to land. But, there was NO money in the budget for any service release of OS/2, even though it would have been very easy to accomplish a small service release, while the skills were in place AND there was great customer acceptance of Warp 4.0, due to it's inclusion of VoiceType Dictation, thanks to MY TEAM.
    3) We developed a lot of software that is still shipped in Windows, yet we were PROHIBITED from investing in Microsoft, as indiviuals because MS was a "competitor". IBM receives license income from this code, but there is no benefit to the IBM employees to be compensated appropriately. Our peers - those who worked jontly with us on the "New Technology" in the 1980's and 1990's at MS are many times over, multi-millionaires because of the tactics of Bill Gates and IBM's neglect of its own skilled developers.

Advice to Management

1) Stop discriminating and deceiving women about opportunity to be promoted.
    2) Pay overtime retroactively to compensate for the many hours away from families and the damage done to health of the individual software engineers
    3) Don't allow Hardware Engineering managers - especially SENIOR level MEN, into Software Engineer career responsibilities - as I had for the last 4 years of employment. This should be a huge red flag to HR. I was forcibly moved into a "Project Mgmt" job code, against my wishes. I was never considered for Software Management opportunities, because of this ceiling problem i had, being a woman. There were Senior Level men needing jobs - I had done 10 years earlier. Take a look at Joseph Walsh, who was my manager until 2004, as an example.

10. "Technical Lead for more than 8 years"

Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Lead in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stimulating work environment. Strong work culture. Great people to work with. Remuneration in line with the job responsibilities. Doing a great job on foresting innovation.

Cons

Although they're trying to reduce the red tape, there're plenty of bureaucratic hurdles. Career advancements it's a battle of the "fittest", not the brightest. Overtime not being paid, seen as normal.

Showing 16 of 44,219 reviews