IBM Reviews in Burnaby, BC | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
  1. "IBM"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM for more than 4 years

Pros

Great people and training and benefits

Cons

Not the highest payers around

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"Senior IT Project Manager"

Former Employee - IT Senior Project Manager in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM

Pros

Good place to learn. Able to work on many different projects and work with many different specialists. Individuals are very fine people and highly skilled engineers at IBM. On projects they bring very valuable skills to the table and are very professional at their jobs.

Cons

The culture at IBM Canada has deteriorated to the point that there is no loyalty left in the company either from the employees to the company or from the company to the employees. Everyone is just looking out for themselves now. Just waiting for a buyout package or retirement. Everyone's position is being earmarked for outsourcing and this is leading to a loss of the best minds in North America and along with some...

Advice to Management

The culture and the mindset of the company needs to change. The emphasis on the bottom line will only sustain the company for so long. At some point the lack of quality service will catch up and bite you in the rear end.

3. "IBM Brazil"

Former Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM for more than 9 years

Pros

Many of IBM's employee's are remote workers. This comes with both pro and con qualities. The pro's are obvious, less gas used, less time spent in travel, flexible work hours, etc. The only real con is isolation. The division I work in has been extremely generous with flex time, allowing me to work when I want.

Cons

BM is such a huge organization that sometimes getting through the red tape to accomplish something is horrible. Most everything in my division is driven by customer dollars, leaving little room for R&D type activities.

Advice to Management

In general IBM's Senior Management is doing an excellent job. Within my division Senior Management needs to delegate responsibility. Our organization is entirely top heavy with Senior Management getting in the way of rapid response to client needs because everything (even down to setting up a billing code) must go through management.

"Lots of pros but compensation is poor"

Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM

Pros

Lots of smart people, good culture and values, provides a variety of challenging work, provides good career opportunities for branching out to different careers

Cons

Lots of red tape and levels of management, performance pay is low/non-existent, does not compensate fairly for good performance

Advice to Management

Invest in research/development and innovation instead of finding areas to continuously cut, treat smart employees well and pay accordingly.

5. "Good company to start your career at"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Smart people work there but if they are there too long, probably not so interesting. Lots of opportunities. Depends on which country and group you work in. Lots of possibilities. However, also you have to make your own path.

Cons

All the jobs are going to Asia. Bloated sales.

6. "Service Delivery Manager"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Flexible hours are possible, ability work from home, lots of smart people. It was a good place for a long time.

Cons

Today, especially in BC, it's a shrinking workforce. There are few bonuses and pay increases. No money for anything.

7. "Project Coordinator"

Former Employee - IT Projects Coordinator in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM for more than 2 years

Pros

I worked there 2 years as a contractor and learned a lot from my managers. Most of the employees can work from home. So the office building is always so quiet and empty.

Cons

No free coffee even..........no company culture, don't care about loyalty. Endless layoffs but always hire them back as contractors. Quarterly mandatory timeoff without pay for contractors.

"Meh"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Burnaby, BC

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Learn about corporate culture Meet some new people Work on some cool projects

Cons

No recognition Bad pay Bad bonuses Bad benefits Bad morale

Advice to Management

Learn to recognize people before they leave

9. "Can be good"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

work is challenging, people are nice to work with, many groups to interact with, salary is good, training can be good at times,

Cons

can be long hours, not much in the way of recognition, no seasonal parties, focus on process sometimes too much

10. "Okay"

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Burnaby, BC

I have been working at IBM

Pros

IBM had sustained me through the down turn of the market. For business' it's a great way to become successful and be out front in terms of the best developers working for you.

Cons

Not much movement for me and not too many jobs within the west of Canada for my job title of IT Infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Increase the ability to actually grow within the company so the we can increase our salaries, so that we don't end up leaving the company for better, more competitive salaries.

Found 10 reviews