IBM Reviews in California | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty

1,121 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance especially to new mothers" (in 1085 reviews)

• "Low Salary growth in comparison" (in 528 reviews)

1. "IBM Information Security"

Current Employee - Information Security Architect in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Information Security Architect in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Leading provider of cutting edge technology

Cons

Extremely large corporation and must be comfortable with rapid change.

2. "Great company for self-motivated, self-starters and go-getters!"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer - Level II in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer - Level II in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My immediate Engineering and Development team were great to work with. Work-life-balance is great as well as the ability to work-from-home. Performance is rewarded generously with great Benefits. The opportunity for growth is tremendous, but you have to keep up with technology trends and the vision of the company in order to be part of the leading edge.

Cons

Executive Management can be cut-throat with eliminating teams and positions. Make sure the project you are working on is in line with the company's future vision in order to maintain your employment.

3. "Aging company with some spotty great team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Great company with history and a challenging future

Cons

Very bureaucratic with many levels of middle management

4. "Good company to work and grow."

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lot of learning opportunity also many new technologies to pickup.

Cons

travel , bit work pressure based on clients.

5. "Incredible Place to Start Your Consulting Career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first joined, I heard conflicting stories of love and hate for the job. Keep in mind, IBM is a massive company with over 400k employees so there will naturally be a mix of those in any big firm.

IBM is undergoing a major transformation right now, and it is an awesome time to be an IBMer. From Watson AI to cutting edge digital transformation project partnerships with Apple, IBM is involved with a lot of cool opportunities. I joined straight from undergrad and can confidently say that I have learned immensely as a consultant and even now senior consultant. Overall, I am extremely happy with my decision to start my career as a consultant at IBM.

- IBM = High Prestige and Brand Name... Great exposure to different industries, especially early on in your career. (been here for almost 3 years and I have worked in Pharmaceuticals, CPG, Electronics and Foods)

- Incredible support and colleagues, some really smart people work here and the educational resources/training can be used to further your skills greatly

- As for work-life balance, it has its ups and down (way more ups for me). I've had a lot of opportunity to work remote, but also times where I'm working through the weekend on 12 hour shifts... (client dependent)

- High percentage increase in pay when promoting ( got around 38% when I went from consultant to senior)

- Flexibility in living location (anywhere as long as you have weekly access to an airport)

- Option to alt travel to another city if it is less than or equal to the cost of flying you back home (huge plus for me)

- Opportunity to earn status and free miles/points on airline/hotel chain and car rentals (I've funded numerous international trips via points I've earned from client travel- for me huge plus)

Cons

- Make it your own culture. Sometimes you have to be a go-getter and network to get the next project. Don't expect to get handed new opportunities, other than your first year in (unless you have a proven track record).

- Consultants here tend to get lumped into a specialized area. For example, I am in SAP and everyone in my group works in SAP. Once you are identified as a skilled and experienced user, there's a high chance of getting pigeonholed into one specific area of consulting making it hard to change down the line.

- High travel requirements. In the client's office by Monday, home by Thursday night on normal weeks (work remote Friday). Every once in awhile expect weekend work that can be very long (although periods of remote work make up for this in my opinion)

- High utilization targets for new/newer inexperienced consultants. Being on the bench is all dependent on what you make of your first opportunities when you start. Sometimes these factors are out of your favor when you start, especially during seasons of minimal client demand. Once you gather the appropriate skills to become client facing, tons of opportunities arise and I have barely been on the bench throughout my 3 years here.

- Small raises and/or bonuses. However, big pay jump when you promote

- Less face to face management (I have never met my IBM manager in person)

Advice to Management

- Focus more on younger and newer talent and don't make utilization so high for these resources. If this means higher less resources year to year, so be it if that means more focus on the young talent. I think this would be my biggest advice in regards to utilization pressure for newer consultants, as project opportunities have slow periods and I've seen some new CbDers on the bench for months at a time.

- Give top performers options to be able to learn new skills and switch to other areas of consulting. It is really hard to move to a different service line and that is understandable, but for both proven top performers and for younger talent that don't know what they want/are good at, this should be easier.

- Better performance rating system to recognize top performers as well as yearly bonuses/raises to retain the best talent. Right now, bonuses and raises are very small (less than 2% sometimes for even the highest year end rating).

6. "Great for the start of a sales career and then find a company that values there employees better."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home and sales training

Cons

Lack of work life balance, high stress environment to constantly be increasing your sales.

7. "Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Smart teammates
    -Good work life balance

Cons

-Wages/raises lower than other major tech companies
    -Company wide hiring freeze left our team in a bad position

"A facade of design thinking."

Former Intern - User Experience Design Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - User Experience Design Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation. Great team. Location.

Cons

Poor management.
    Poor leadership.
    Culture doesn't empower design at a systemic level.
    Endless meetings and wasted collective time.
    The teams employee researchers yet don't let their work inform decisions... in the end the decisions are made from someone that has no understanding of the product..

Advice to Management

Create frameworks that allow your associate designers to be productive. It is your job to lead. Spend time setting specific goals rather than complaining about results later.

"Data Center Technician"

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small team you get to know well
    Training from ground up to get you up to par
    Coworkers are really helpful
    Good benefits and time off

Cons

Low pay compared to others

10. "Dicotomy of the Advancement Process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good ideas and growth, within multiple industries.
    Great insight into future movements within AI and other human enhancement systems (I.E. Oncology, Radiology, and Health Sciences), for all mankind.

Cons

Difficulty getting HR to open up and explain why a posting "disappears", without notification to the applying candidate.
    Silos within the departments need to be broken for the ideas to cross over to other areas.

Advice to Management

Needs to get more assistant in vital areas, sometimes meaning filling a position whether or not the budget has it in. Revenue and profit will increase and cover that person's compensation. Gone too long without vital personnel.

Showing 1,121 of 43,608 reviews