IBM Reviews in California | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ceo"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Woodside, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Woodside, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great guys to work with very profitable company
    doing a lot of fun projects and love that they are in redwood city area and woodside area

Cons

there are really no negatives other than the lack of health care benefits. but then again a lot of the employees have their own coverage because they really are independent contractors. they just like staying on spectrum projects.

2. "Good Company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/life freedom, pay and benefits, training/education

Cons

Big company, takes time to learn

Advice to Management

Don't fire/layoff/RA so much

3. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, benefits, locations, inclusion, cafeteria food

Cons

I have. Of found any cons

Advice to Management

I believe management is doing a great Job

"Invaluable Work Experience & Looks Great on Your Resume!"

Former Employee - Information Developer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Information Developer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've never been surrounded by so many smart people, who genuinely enjoyed their work, and worked on some rad stuff. IBM is such a massive company, they truly are International. I lived in the US but my teammates were in Canada, China, and Israel. It was awesome to work with so many different people from all kinds of cultures. I got to work from home a lot because of the time zone differences. Also, IBM has some pretty cool research projects. And they really do encourage your personal development-- there are databases of excellent presentations that you can watch to teach yourself new skills.

Cons

Working from home makes it harder to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
    There is a proper procedure that must be followed for every little thing. Everyone gets hung up on bureaucracy to the point where it severely limits your productivity.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the amount of bureaucracy compared to your employees' productivity. Imagine how much more your staff could get done if they weren't stressed out doing soul-crushing busywork that has no financial impact on the bottom line.

5. "Software Advisory"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is changing a lot, employees get new mac books, HR is changing, even the tools are all changing. We have adopted Workday, Travis, GitHub, JFrog, etc.

New employees get decent market salary.

It's flexible and lay back unless you're in a hot project.

If you work in emerging technologies with teams that are using latest tech then IBM is definitely a fun place to work at. Our leader is very flexible and allows us to build things from the ground up and use any technology necessary for our solutions. I often get to develop tools and products from end to end. (Disclaimer: I've only experienced this with my current manager/director and team. Most people in IBM aren't as lucky to have a leader like mine)

The company is trying hard to get new blood who are passionate and talented but it's hard to keep them with the package they offer and specially the salary.

If you are a new parent or are expecting, IBM would be perfect to work at. Like I said, it's very flexible and lay back. Most people work from home on Fridays and leave early when ever they need to.

IBM is also great for new hires! Most new hires last 2 - 3 years.

Cons

• Annual Bonus is nothing ($500 - $600 after tax)
    • No stock options unless you are executive
    • No annual increases even with excellent annual reviews (top performer)
    • Hard to get a promotion unless you have a good manager that is respected and fights for you
    • Some employees are really old school and outdated - they make it hard to innovate and work on new ideas. They are really outdated, some can't even code and aren't technical. It's really surprising that a senior "technical" worker is not technical. Stay away from employees who have been in IBM for more than 6 years. A 10 year IBM employee is a huge red flag.
    • Most employees lack drive and passion. They do the minimum. (hard to innovate)
    • Not enough resources to kick off awesome projects
    • POLITICS (specially from people who aren't technical and are all talk)
    • I often feel like we develop demos and prototypes too often to make our managers, VPs and overall upper management happy and making them feel like we are doing awesome rather than focusing on building really good products. As long as the UI is beautiful, they don't seem to care.
    • Managers and senior people always play the game... it's like if they have a play book. They don't try.

Advice to Management

Cut the politics, more doing, less talking. Focus on making great products, help your people grow, motivate, innovate, reward your employees, change the old culture. If you focus on leading by example with passion, good ethics and drive the rest will follow.

6. "Cutting the workforce"

Former Employee - Tech Sales Consultant in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Tech Sales Consultant in Glendale, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience overall; good territory and comp plan. Co workers are generally knowledgeable and great to work with. Work remotely and light travel.

Cons

Constant threat of layoff. Company is re-structuring. I survived 6 resource actions until finally getting hit. The ax over the head is now the new normal. They are openly getting rid of older employees.

Advice to Management

Find a way to clean up the overall negative mood within the workforce. Constantly worrying about losing your job (without cause) is debilitating and bad for morale.

7. "Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Very good work culture, good work life balance

Cons

work is more related to data engineer than data scientist

"Got Lucky with a Great Team and Non-Legacy Product"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time of my employment, IBM was providing a 3-month bootcamp for new hires, where they essentially walk you through how to design for an enterprise company. I felt extremely fortunate to have started my professional career with this program, as it taught you how to collaborate, organize, present, and execute outside of a college context.

IBM's Design program also cares deeply about company culture, and hire people that I found to be some of the best to work with in my professional career. They understand that the ability to collaborate is far more important than talent alone.

Additionally, I found extensive room to grow during my career at IBM. My boss allowed us to create our own programs, such as "learning sessions" to learn, for example, Github from our front end dev, and attend conferences. Teammates who stayed on after I left were also promoted to leads to reward their growth and contributions. If you find the right team within the company, the opportunities were invaluable.

Cons

Retention. Unfortunately, the structure of this bootcamp led to lofty expectations of work environments outside of the Austin office. I gave such a high rating because I personally was very fortunate to be part of a great product we have a lot of personal control in, and saw through from research to launch. However, it really comes down to the team and the office location. The design program is large, and every experience I've heard has varied greatly, along with how long they stayed on at IBM.

9. "Dynamic first year"

Current Employee - Administrator Cardiology PACS/RIS in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Administrator Cardiology PACS/RIS in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing in the 21st century and working for the beyond.
    Learning from past mistakes and making an effort to not remove personnel but to get them in areas where they can best help IBM.
    AI and cognitive healthcare is the future and a much needed one, IBM has fast tracked that.
    Multiple opportunities at IBM and it is not the same as 5 years ago.

Cons

Some areas is to inform the applicant their short falls, and a note (email or other media), to inform them they are no longer a candidate. This holds true for all companies as it dissuades the individual from pursuing a new position or a transfer within the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the people who work there (new and old alike), as they will ultimately be the future of IBM. Unfortunately, you can see other companies feel they don't need to as "they know best", but, the pulse is in the workers.

10. "Great American company"

Former Employee - Associate Partner, Global Business Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of work, smart dedicated people, travel if you want it, benefits.

Cons

Can be difficult to navigate the company - complex processes.

Showing 1,075 of 39,600 reviews