IBM Reviews in Canada | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty

1,200 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 936 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 446 reviews)

1. "Great environement, good work ethics"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good management, Culture is great

Cons

job being outsourced, no visibility

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

2. "Spacemakers Project for Americas at 14th Ave Markham"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our team used the Design Thinking methodology -we collaborated in an agile environment to develop a unique design for our current space. Everyone expressed an opinion and shared ideas - we worked extremely well and had fun while doing so. It was nice to see our hard earned results come to fruition - made us feel proud to be a part of IBM!

Cons

Timeframes are tight so we needed to work around our current schedules to get this project completed on time. Thankfully we were granted a 2 week extension to complete implementation.

Advice to Management

Supporting projects like these boost morale in a team - thankfully our management team fully supported our efforts and let us do what we needed to do without interfering.

3. "Variety of career opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a global commitment to ensuring employees can achieve their full potential. I have been given the opportunity to move into different roles during my career and feel supported to move into areas of the business that interest me. I value IBM's technology leadership and its commitment to equality around the world.

Cons

A large organization can be overwhelming for some, but working in small teams ensures that you can make an impact and connect with others.

4. "Delivery Project Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent support from IBM technical and management personnel in achieving personal work requirements, goals & objectives, and adhering to Corporate processes.

Cons

Complex matrix personnel support organization, and complex processes to learn and adhere to.

5. "IBM Corporate Service Corps (CSC) experience in Senegal (2017)"

Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Operations Specialist in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The CSC (pro bono consulting) program is a life-enriching experience. It is a unique and an incredible opportunity to learn from others (fellow IBMers, host country, clients, NGOs, culture and the local people) as well as share our experiences/knowledge/skills to empower clients in emerging markets. Through CSC, clients in various emerging markets can benefit from the innovative ideas, skills and knowledge that IBMers help them discover/explore. Clients are able to tap into their own knowledge base, explore possibilities and brainstorm on innovative ideas to address their business challenges.

Cons

You can only participate in the program once in your IBM life.

6. "ITIL Service Availability Manager"

Former Employee - ITIL Service Availability Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - ITIL Service Availability Manager in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and lots of self- training

Cons

Management could be better and crowded environment

7. "IT specialist"

Current Intern - IT Specialist in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Current Intern - IT Specialist in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

short term projects and that too on different skills

Cons

Good research projects , oppourtunitoes to work upon new technologies

Advice to Management

try to get more work from vendors

8. "Senior Sales Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Intelligent colleagues. Stimulating and challenging work. Continuous technology education for everyone. Useful wide and deep scale of the organization to leverage when working on complex deals. Reasonably flat organization where most upper management or above region (global) executives remain accessible to those in the field. That is admirable given the natural political dynamics that exists in any large organization.
    Enjoy your work and you can ignore the discordance that accompanies a large public company. One that is beholden to shareholders every quarter.
    Company has made genuine efforts at transformation through a combination of product development, acquisitions and strong messaging to the marketplace. Resulting in some areas of significant technology strength capable of protecting market share or holding a relevant offensive position against the competition.

Cons

Perpetual sense of panic and desperation in the tone from management. Many micro managers. Lacks a genuine sales culture that supports fundamental sales behaviours. Persistent battle to find time communicating or meeting clients, instead of attending internal meetings.

Failure of middle managers and up-line management to uniformly recognize that selling at IBM is similar to playing in a team sport. Over-weighted attention to individual contribution has led to practices that encourage individual sports habits. This generates unwarranted, conflicting attitudes that fail to deliver the results required of a sports team.

No work-life balance unless you draw that line in the sand yourself. Urgency is over played regardless of the time of the year - at the start of the fiscal year, in the middle and at the end. It reduces the value of when a sincere urgent activity requires execution. Up-line management are tone deaf when delivering demands that only fulfill internal, administrative reporting versus authentic field sales efforts.

Management fails to recognize the need to build relationships with clients. Incessant territory and account coverage change - every 6 months, produces a culture of vulnerability and uncertainty. Often veiled with the term agile.

Advice to Management

Create more realistic timelines. Be sincere in treasuring the contribution of those in the field. Respect the time field sales require to be with clients. Halt the demands to respond on internal reporting requirements within hours.

Stop the culture of fear. That management style was acceptable in the 60s, to the 80s but has no place today. Be truthful in your desire to hear dissenting opinions with an open culture. Do not penalize or stifle honest feedback if it is constructive.

Keep up the great work in staying relevant in the market. Continue to foster the culture of 'THINK'. It is a welcoming element of this great company.

9. "Overall positive."

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in London, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Freedom and access to resources and technology. It's great to have support when dealing with new terrain and new skill sets. Career development is limited only by initiative.

Cons

Can feel very underwhelming when positions become removed. Coworkers are not always held to enough responsibility for their own performance.

Advice to Management

Know your products.

10. "Company Benefits"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent Health Benefits and long Term Disability

Cons

Regular Layoffs so lack of security

Showing 1,200 of 34,419 reviews