IBM Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 867 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 425 reviews)

1. "Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The size of the company allows you to network with a lot of extremely intelligent people. There are many interesting people from all walks of life that I worked with around the globe who I'm very glad to have met.

Cons

The size also contributes to IBM's faults. Everything has a process and many small issues can take days or weeks to resolve. There is a very "not my problem" mentality unless someone is going to get paid for doing it.

Personally, when I was hired I signed a document that had an on target earning of a certain amount. Within 2 months my commission was placed out of my control and I was surviving on base pay alone most months. After that my manager quit and I was restructured. This happened three times. The company had a lot of trouble with the acquisition that I was hired on the tail end of.

In the end I found myself in a role I really enjoyed, but the company wasn't ready for me to be a part of it. They laid off several of my coworkers and relayed their work to me without any sort of compensation to match.

The company has no culture. Before the acquisition, the company was a cool start up with team gatherings and friends abound. Afterwards the office was dead silent every day and people left in droves. No holiday party, no happy hours, no drinks after work, no socializing. Not the best environment for anyone looking to be friendly.

Advice to Management

Please remember that there are people working for you... not just numbers on a spreadsheet. We have families and dreams and aspirations. Don't squeeze out the juice for the cheapest price. I look back on my experience with fond memories, but also with having learned to be more careful when dealing with large corporations.

"IBM is big on customer satisfaction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM culture was based on customer satisfaction and customer oriented selling. we were taught that customer needs were always be considered first during interaction.

Cons

Oftentimes bureaucratic when trying to get things done

Advice to Management

Streamline the red tape, especially when an associate is acting on behalf of a customer.

Jul 17, 2017 – VP, Communications

Love the advocacy for the client! Thank you for taking the time to point out that we need to simplify processes even more to do right by our client base. We hear you.This is why we've established... More

"New 2 Blue"

Current Employee - Cognitive Process Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cognitive Process Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM doesn't skimp on investment in its organizational structure and does a great job on boarding new employees. There is plenty of good information online for getting started and IBM.

Cons

None yet so far It's good place to start hopefully I will find that I have a long career ahead

Jul 17, 2017 – VP, Communications

We're so glad that you took the time to write this review and more importantly that you chose to come to IBM! We wish you every success in your IBM career.

"Is big too big?"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, lots of opportunities!

Cons

Hard to navigate in such a big company

Jul 17, 2017 – VP, Communications

Thanks for taking the time to write and provide a positive five star review. Indeed we agree that there are lots of opportunities inside the company. We're hoping that the new Career Conversations... More

5. "Tech Sales"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They invest a lot of resources into you via the Summit program

Cons

There is not as much flexibility switching roles as promised

"Used to be a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people at the company, great brand and rich heritage

Cons

Becoming a very aggressive culture... lots of lay offs, targeting more senior and expensive personnel, lots of people being fired for not achieving outrageous and unrealistic sales targets

Advice to Management

Focus more on the customer and less on internal calls; focus less on financially engineering revenue; start giving sales people targets they can actually achieve.

"P2P Services Delivery Manager"

Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was decent. Ability to move to new positions in company if job ratings were good or above.

Cons

Constant layoffs year around. 5 years of falling revenues.

Advice to Management

Don't throw out your best people!. Oh, wait, you just did that for the last two years.

8. "Hundred Percent Club"

Current Employee - Cloud Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cloud Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM's Hundred Percent Club is truly a first class event. Definitely a very positive intangible perk for all the hard work we put in as sales people. IBM's overall strategy and capabilities drive real business benefits.

Cons

There is lots of change at IBM. Change is inevitable and necessary so you will need to keep a positive attitude about it. If you can't this might not be the best fit for you.

Advice to Management

Minimize the changes that disrupt client continuity.

9. "Couldn't Be a Better Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Client Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM's training program is highly regarded in all industries, not just IT. Spend 2 years here, and you can go nearly anywhere you want.

Cons

Not optimal for those who have worked here for 15+ years. IBM is noticeably working to bring down the age of its workforce.

Advice to Management

Don't manage the attrition by spreadsheets and bean counters. In some cases, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. We still need some of those old timers to show the new kids the ropes.

"Unrealistic sales driven deadlines, ridiculous bureaucracy, and general disinterest from management"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- In the past there has been a liberal work from home policy. I'm not sure how much longer that will last.
    - The company 401k matching contribution is good and is fully vested from the start.

Cons

- Multiple (one or more) layoffs per year every year I was at the company (almost 10 years).
    - Terrible or none existent bonuses.
    - Management mostly concerned with how to preserve and progress their careers and has little interest in progressing staff careers.
    - Software engineering organization driven by rigid sales motivated deadlines with little consideration for sound software development practices. This creates substandard software services that are unmaintainable. But Sales doesn't care and engineering management team is too afraid to push back.
    - Bluemix IS an awful mess and any product or service that has to integrate with it WILL be made worse by having to integrate and adhere to the terrible bureaucracy that exists within it.

Advice to Management

- Reduce the red tape! It is strangling this company.
    - Stop ignoring the careers of your engineers until it's too late. For 10 years I was told that a promotion/raise was just around the corner but the only time I was offered any compensation and banding bump was the day that I gave my 2 week notice. I was told to name my price and I thought that if I was so indispensable then why didn't you care to reward me until I had both feet out the door. TBH I stuck around as long as I did because I worked remotely for almost the entire duration of my stay at IBM which was a tremendous perk but even that perk appears that it might be going away.

Showing 305 of 31,027 reviews