IBM Reviews in Cleveland, OH | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 900 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 433 reviews)

1. "Acquired by IBM"

Current Employee - Systems Technician in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Technician in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-the atmosphere
    -the people
    -the professionalism
    -the access to the latest and greatest equipment
    -it's a teaching environment
    -easy access to career planning and support and tools

Cons

-nothing, other than, who wants to work? don't we all wish we could have been born lucky and just volunteer our time and live it up!

Advice to Management

continue with the open door policy which gives open communication a whole new meaning

"Chaotic, well-paying, good benefits, political trap"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work, some brilliant colleagues, Lunch Owl, most people are kind, feels cutting edge.

Cons

Open work areas get very loud, frequent hiring freezes and layoffs in other cities, some managers seem to have risen from start-up legacy days and have few or no leadership skills, terrible performance review process, lots of blaming lower ranks for leader faults, lack of long-term vision at the team building level. Heavy political structure.

Advice to Management

Get some leadership skills, free up managers from frontline work so they can lead.

3. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's nice to have autonomy over my schedule to a certain extent, but overall it's an amazing work-life balance.

Cons

It's the big corporate feel, and anything in your contract can be changed at any time, even after you've come through with a sale (affecting your commission)

4. "Senior Project Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay, work from home, managers are willing to work with you on schedule, great width and depth of skills

Cons

not great pay, moving between groups, sometimes feels like a very hierarchical organization

5. "Great Place"

Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Overnight Flow Team Member in Cleveland, OH

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

has some very positive vibs

Cons

upper management good and found

6. "IBM US"

Current Employee - Transition Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Transition Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Web Based education available
    2. Work from home availability
    3. Opportunity to work in multiple IT fields
    4. Large knowledge base
    5. Global opportunity

Cons

1. If you have been with IBM longer than 10 years and are in the US your days are numbered.
    2. Constant assault on benefits by finance
    3. Very low % raises if any, even for high performers
    4. Finance driven employee evaluation system forces low evaluations in an effort to justify layoffs.

Advice to Management

1. Stop letting finance quarter to quarter thinking drive business decisions. Relentless drive to lower costs adversely impacts delivery quality, resulting in lost business, resulting in more cost cutting, resulting in lower delivery quality, resulting in lost business...
    2. Forcing US employees to train off shore employees to take their jobs demoralizes those that remain
    3. Employees are not "resources", they are people and should be referred to as such.

7. "Unbelievable Talent at Explorys-IBM"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to work with extremely talented engineers using the latest technologies. The company is aiming to make the world better which makes going to work easier.

Cons

Its difficult to understand who does what. It seemed as though clearly defined roles were not present.

Advice to Management

Make a map of the workflow and define roles to allow new workers to understand the company without having to figure it out on their own.

IBM Response

Sep 12, 2016 – VP, Communications

Thanks for your comment - we're glad you had a good experience in working with our talented engineers. We're really proud of our IBM colleagues. Our Think Fridays and other education offerings in... More

"Data MGR"

Former Employee - Data Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

THIS IS FOR THE CLEVELAND IBM EXPLORYS LOCATION ONLY: BEWARE!!!!

It doesn't matter because the Cons are so horrible. I wish I could have stayed because I am fascinated with what the next level of cognitive computing will be in healthcare. But this place is toxic.

Cons

I was hired to help with a newly formed services team. Within 2 days, I realized that the harassing and intimidating work environment by a senior manager was not only IGNORED by senior leadership but by the onsite HR representative, and it is creating an unsustainable working situation where everyone is in fear of this person and their job.

I do not know why IBM is allowing this, but great people are running for the doors. They had an employee survey which identified this person's behavior and how it's affecting the staff, and the SLT chose to ignore it. After the employees put themselves on the line by speaking up, they no longer trust anyone and feel that their voices were ignored. WORST JOB I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all senior leaders including the founders and bring in actual business leaders to righten the ship. If you do that you may keep some of the good talent still there.
    Review the employee survey at the transfer of business - and have someone come in to actually do something about what is going on.

9. "Sales Manager"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An institution with a great reputation

Cons

Company is run by HR and Finance. No trust has turned into very little loyalty.

"Not What It Used To Be"

Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior IT Specialist in Cleveland, OH

Pros

In twenty years at IBM, I have worked with the best and the brightest. The people are hard working and their blood runs blue. My job has included travel all over the US on short and long term projects. My immediate managers have all been remote and only had a chance to meet a few in person. You are given the freedom to do your job. Benefits are not bad but seem to be reduced each year

Cons

Many changes at IBM and not positive ones. The 401K match was reduced to 3% match, no raises and meager annual bonus. CEO and Board seek only to enrich themselves by laying off long time employees (older) employees and replacing with off-shore resources. Limited availability for training and transfer. IBM now stands for India Business Machines

Advice to Management

Do the right thing. What happened to the IBM that used to create technology instead of buy technology. Stop courting Wall Street.

Showing 34 of 32,474 reviews