IBM Reviews in Clifton, VA | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 896 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 432 reviews)

1. "Horrible Morale"

Former Employee - Director in Clifton, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Clifton, VA

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Salary, autonomy, people, territory and customers

Cons

Morale, strategic direction, management morals, head count redution

Advice to Management

Stop reducing headcount

2. "IBM Global Systems - Senior Mobile Developers (2015)"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Clifton, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compamny history
    I previous work at IBM 15 years ago and loved it but IBM today is 100% different and is just a consulting company.
    Good pay
    Good technologysuch as Watson

Cons

No job oppportunities for developers unless IBM wins contracts
    Too many layers and too much management
    My manager was spread way too thin and did not listen as probably did not have the time to listen as always had to rush through conversations. Horrible situation.

Advice to Management

The management I had was too busy with too many eggs in their basket to listen. I am a very Senior developer and was constants interrupted and barreled over when providing input and feedback on development that I was expert in. I chalk this up to manager having very little time to talk with each employee or team as person was spread too thinly. Also never once won a contract bid on when I was there and very few members on team knew much about mobile. Also was slated to start out on one large contract which was given the impression IBM alreayd had but IBM had just bid on it. So waited first month to find out IBM lost it. The rest of my tennure (9 months 2015) was spent trying to find other jobs many that had nothing to do with iOS mobile development. Through my own initiative created an iOS AR app prototype for FEMA customer but FEMA turned out to have no money. And also manager indicated "we don't normally do these types of iOS prototypes efforts" so I damned from both sides as can't find jobas IBM has none and is winning none. I take initiative to create prototype to try and create some work and customer has no money and manager says we don't normally do this. Just an awkward horrible experience and I had previously work at IBM 15 years ago and loved it. IBM has changed to nothing more that a consulting company and developers should stay away. There are too many managers and layers getting in the way and even average developers would get frustated. Also was told my manager of IBM and Appe initiative which our IX iOS mobile group should be very active in but turns out only IBM developers in CA work with Apple. Another lie and stretch of the truth. Alot of buzzwords and talk and no action.

Showing 2 of 32,453 reviews