IBM College Clerical Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
17,329 Ratings
  1. Featured Review

"Be a part of something great!"

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work arrangements. Autonomy. Growth potential. Love the culture and the people I work with. Management support. Engaging projects.

Cons

No cons at this time

IBM2018-11-14

""It's not always about the money Spider-Man""

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Opportunity - So much opportunity to do more than just your job, passion projects, giveback to community, working with schools, internal groups, external groups. My development job at IBM is a very small amount of the work I do, I do more for IBM outside of my lab/office just in the external giveback and working with outside organizations and groups. -Work Life Balance - I think it's termed "integration" now,... which i prefer, I've raised three kids here, it's never a perfect balance but that's ideal, because I get time to work when I need it but also time to drop kids off at school, go to kids sports/games, and help with homework. I do work a lot, but it's driven by me. There's tons of projects and things I do when the kids go to sleep or on a quiet evening because I love to do this stuff, and that's just me. -Community outreach- there's a huge sense of giveback at IBM. IBM has a portal for registering volunteering and giveback and gives grants to organizations you work with. IBM encourages and gives us a lot of autonomy on this so there's no real limit to how much you can work outside of IBM giving back to community as long as it doesn't interfere with your business commitments, and they will provide computing/tech resources/educational kits to help support it. -Mentoring/networking-the most underated feature of IBM is mentoring, as a senior engineer we're encouraged to be mentors to junior engineers, and while it's not required, it's extremely helpful to have a mentor, it's allowed me to navigate and plan my career progression based on their advice and experience. Because you're in charge of your career the mentoring is the perfect amount of coaching and self-accountability that I need to stay motivated and on track in my career goals. -People- People are awesome, I've worked with many people who work tirelessly with time they don't have to help me, or other people, to work with high school groups, to help people they don't even know within IBM who need help. The part that makes IBM culture and values amazing is every single person you meet who is a living embodiment to them. -Overall - The thing I love about IBM is that there's so much to do, I'm never bored, and always feel like I have an impact, but most importantly I feel like my impact is greater outside the company, and helping make the world better by being me and defining how I can give back to my community and help others. Is the pay comparable to the other big companies trying to recruit me? No, but like Kingpin said "It's not always about the money Spider-Man"

Cons

-Big-, IBM is B-I-G, so there's no list of steps for things like career progression, establishing internal support groups (like a gaming group for example), how to establish a community outreach event, etc. and that's mostly because no one defines what/how you do any of that, and really the way it's done is different for everyone so it's really up to you to figure out how to do all that. -Money - They pay well, is... it great? Not compared to the giants like Facebook, netflix, or Google, I've talked to those companies just to know what a move would look like and the money difference can be quite big if that's your motivation. -Getting things done- I'm not sure I would do anything different for this given IBM's size, but IBM has a much more organic approach to starting things, getting things done, innovating side projects and community outreach etc, where you can start groups and projects you're passionate about, but you have to gather the support for it, you can get support and funding, but you have to originate the idea and figure out how to make it work and do the leg work for it, which is great if you're a type A personality and passionate about something. But also means you become the project manager, recruiter, and communications person for your particular cause so its easy to take on too much at times.

Advice to Management

It seems like there could be better engagement with employees to make them aware of the services/groups in IBM, some sites are much better equipped to do that, but smaller sites might need better tools or things to try to get people more engaged, the smaller sites feel much more "quiet" than the excitement of the larger sites SVL/Austin for example.

IBM2019-06-17
  3. "Good company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in India, TN

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home facility is good

Cons

not that much cons expect low salaries

IBM2019-09-19
  4. "Good place to work at"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

1. Innovation 2. Creativity 3. Good teams 4. Good product 5. Freedom to explore

Cons

Management constantly changing strategies and shifting focuses

5. "Intern experience"

I worked at IBM

Pros

Working there is chill. Co workers are nice.

Cons

Too many old people. Not a lot of fun things to do after work.

Advice to Management

Better recruiting system.

IBM2019-09-18
  6. "A Good First Job for a Young Person"

Current Employee - Business Transformation Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, travel perks, learning a lot

Cons

Travel can get tiring, bureaucratic, tough to find a role you're passionate about

7. "Engaging opportunists"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of cool opportunities if you can get into the right team / group. Fast tracks for promotions if you’re savvy and hardworking. Hours are typically reasonable and lots of flexibility in work life balance.

Cons

Bonus is low. Politics can be a real thing. Depending on your group and interests you could end up doing something you don’t like at all.

IBM2019-09-17
  8. "IBM: a place where you can grow, tends to be hierarchical at higher levels"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very tech oriented - Fast paced environment -Great work-life balance

Cons

- Conservative - Heavily Bureaucratic - Stagnated hierarchical environment

IBM2019-09-17
  9. "IBM Intern Review"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly

I have been working at IBM part-time

Pros

Friendly staff, amazing support system

Cons

Takes a long time to get things done

IBM2019-09-16
  10. "Long time Employee"

Current Employee - Support Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of great people to work with

Cons

Salaries are on low end

IBM2019-09-16