IBM Reviews in Concord, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Events Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work at home, Brand awareness, people

Cons

Isolated at times, lower level titles

Advice to Management

Nothing at this time.

"God help IBM GBS"

Former Employee - Vice President in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Concord, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working with clients. - though it took 80 hour weeks and WW travel requiring me to be away from my family weeks at a time) I usually got a decent PBC rating so I generally felt my compensation was fair.

Cons

Where do I begin? I've been in this business a long time. There were many years ago when IBM GBS revenue was growing, customer sat was high, we were serially rated the #1 consulting firm, and most importantly, employee morale was high. If you were a Consultant at IBM in the mid aughts there was not a better job in the Industry.

And then... IBM decided to buy PWCC. I remember sitting in a consultant roundtable with a very high level GBS exec (not to be named for very good reasons) right after we bought PWCC and in the room were a mixture of legacy IBM consultants and newly integrated PWCC consultants. Of course "suggestions for improvement" came up and several PWCC consultants started griping about how their Partners used to have strong relations with the C-suite leading to multi-year contracts and that those contracts hadnt existed for years. This high level exec (not to be named for very good reasons) literally said "You realize that's why we bought PWCC, access to the c-suite right?"

Fast forward 12-15 years, each of our GBS businesses were taken over by ex PWCC partners. They weren't any good at selling but those PWCC guys sure were world-class in screwing over their competition for promotion. These are folks who made Partner at PWCC selling $100K contracts, but when you spend most of your time scheming instead of with your teams at client sites, it made sense that they would eventually be running things.

Is it any wonder IBM consulting revenue is in the tank? Before I left I couldn't remember the last time our consulting business had made target. With all the turnover and churn and change in management direction our customers had become increasingly dissatisfied. It became very rare proposing new work to a new customer who was not angry with IBM due to past experiences with another part of the IBM consulting business.

But saddest of all our consultants were / probably still are miserable Outrageous utilization targets, angry clients, shrinking skill sets due to lack of training opportunity, relentless travel, unbillable overtime, terrible management practices due to a failing busines, constant fear of layoff, laughable bonuses - It was impossible to keep a critical mass of good ones.

Why it took as long as it did to sack the leader of GBS is further evidence of the poor decision making at the top and having to admit that the PWCC purchase was IBMs worst acquisition in the history of the company.

I got a better offer with another firm and finally left. I feel so sorry for the good people left behind.

Advice to Management

Cross your fingers that the new GBS management has the leeway to clean house.

3. "SAP Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - SAP MM and MDG Consultant in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - SAP MM and MDG Consultant in Concord, CA

I have been working at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

it offers flexibility , you can act in different roles

Cons

slow career growth , average remuneration , too hierarchical

Showing 3 of 35,666 reviews