IBM Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
1,313 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance especially to new mothers" (in 1085 reviews)

• "Low Salary growth in comparison" (in 528 reviews)

1. "Great Opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Transformation Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Transformation Consultant

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Focus a lot on staffing you on projects that you are interested in from the beginning if you make your interests known; amazing Manager who really cares for career and professional development

Cons

Large company that can be difficult to navigate

2. "GBS Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, competitive compensation, challenging projects and ability to gain new skills

Cons

Long hours and even less recognition.

3. "Constant restructuring"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Charlotte, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant restructuring is very tiring and makes people anxious

Cons

Good salary and the work is good too

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and grow, freedom to make the job what you want

Cons

Co-location, lack of strategic vision

5. "Challenging Projects"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Great Exposure to Technology
    2) Challenging Projects
    3) Ability to rise up the ladder if you network and make connections

Cons

1) Lots of Travel (If you don't like Travel)
    2) Tight Deadlines

"Great brand name, doesn't award good work"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM is a well established company with a great number of benefits to offer: the name recognition alone is a benefit, and IBM by and large pays its employees well.

Cons

IBM doesn't award good work or good employees; IBM as a company reviews success as profit margins alone and doesn't take into account any growth or ramp-up periods for their organization or its employees. High performers are paid the same as low performers, and when an employee goes above and beyond, there isn't any recognition.

Advice to Management

Award your high performers. View success as larger than profits.

7. "Amazing company with an amazing team"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everything was out of the ordinary, and they had a tech team to back it all up as well. Had a great informative time

Cons

None that I can think of

8. "Incredible Place to Start Your Consulting Career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I first joined, I heard conflicting stories of love and hate for the job. Keep in mind, IBM is a massive company with over 400k employees so there will naturally be a mix of those in any big firm.

IBM is undergoing a major transformation right now, and it is an awesome time to be an IBMer. From Watson AI to cutting edge digital transformation project partnerships with Apple, IBM is involved with a lot of cool opportunities. I joined straight from undergrad and can confidently say that I have learned immensely as a consultant and even now senior consultant. Overall, I am extremely happy with my decision to start my career as a consultant at IBM.

- IBM = High Prestige and Brand Name... Great exposure to different industries, especially early on in your career. (been here for almost 3 years and I have worked in Pharmaceuticals, CPG, Electronics and Foods)

- Incredible support and colleagues, some really smart people work here and the educational resources/training can be used to further your skills greatly

- As for work-life balance, it has its ups and down (way more ups for me). I've had a lot of opportunity to work remote, but also times where I'm working through the weekend on 12 hour shifts... (client dependent)

- High percentage increase in pay when promoting ( got around 38% when I went from consultant to senior)

- Flexibility in living location (anywhere as long as you have weekly access to an airport)

- Option to alt travel to another city if it is less than or equal to the cost of flying you back home (huge plus for me)

- Opportunity to earn status and free miles/points on airline/hotel chain and car rentals (I've funded numerous international trips via points I've earned from client travel- for me huge plus)

Cons

- Make it your own culture. Sometimes you have to be a go-getter and network to get the next project. Don't expect to get handed new opportunities, other than your first year in (unless you have a proven track record).

- Consultants here tend to get lumped into a specialized area. For example, I am in SAP and everyone in my group works in SAP. Once you are identified as a skilled and experienced user, there's a high chance of getting pigeonholed into one specific area of consulting making it hard to change down the line.

- High travel requirements. In the client's office by Monday, home by Thursday night on normal weeks (work remote Friday). Every once in awhile expect weekend work that can be very long (although periods of remote work make up for this in my opinion)

- High utilization targets for new/newer inexperienced consultants. Being on the bench is all dependent on what you make of your first opportunities when you start. Sometimes these factors are out of your favor when you start, especially during seasons of minimal client demand. Once you gather the appropriate skills to become client facing, tons of opportunities arise and I have barely been on the bench throughout my 3 years here.

- Small raises and/or bonuses. However, big pay jump when you promote

- Less face to face management (I have never met my IBM manager in person)

Advice to Management

- Focus more on younger and newer talent and don't make utilization so high for these resources. If this means higher less resources year to year, so be it if that means more focus on the young talent. I think this would be my biggest advice in regards to utilization pressure for newer consultants, as project opportunities have slow periods and I've seen some new CbDers on the bench for months at a time.

- Give top performers options to be able to learn new skills and switch to other areas of consulting. It is really hard to move to a different service line and that is understandable, but for both proven top performers and for younger talent that don't know what they want/are good at, this should be easier.

- Better performance rating system to recognize top performers as well as yearly bonuses/raises to retain the best talent. Right now, bonuses and raises are very small (less than 2% sometimes for even the highest year end rating).

9. "Good company"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance and projects are good

Cons

salary hike is less and rest all is good

10. "A great stepping stone for career advancement into next company or stay 20 and become partner"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Legacy Brand Name that still has impact on Resumes, The closest leadership has the most impact and thus if they're amazing your career will be as well. After 100 years the policies have panned out to be stabilized and easily understood.

Cons

A cog in a 300,000 part machine can feel like an unimportant piece in a really big puzzle. Although I listed it as a pro a con is that the policies are also in some parts outdated. Utilization target for GBS Federal was higher than compensation although this might differ annually.

Advice to Management

If IBM hopes to survive and be competitive against the Google/Facebooks of the world, you'll need to equate the benefits (Full Coverage of Health Care Plan, 16 weeks of Maternity/Paternity leave, RSUs, etc.) or else the talent will wane in the coming generation and jeopardize the company as a result.