IBM Reviews in Dallas, TX | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "IBM"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good environment to learn and enhance your skills

Cons

but not good salary hike

"IBM use to be a Good Company"

Former Employee - Executive Presales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Presales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people with who you get to work. Smart, motivated, caring, and passionate about doing the job right. The term "Respect for the Individual" exists between employees. (see con)

Cons

The motto "Respect for the Employee" WAS a tried and true belief at all levels of the company. Unfortunately, the company no longer treats its employees with respect. Resoure Action after Resoure Action killed morale.

Advice to Management

Quit running the business purely by the financial numbers, you have lost site of the value of a trusted and loyal employee. You have taken the loyalist and hardest working employees and RAed them out the door. Oh yes, some were listed as retirements, now known as RAtired employees.

"The Last Bastion of Corporate Bloat in an Agile World"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Excellent Paid Time Off policy, particularly for employees in Essential Operations roles.

* Exposure to a very broad array of technologies and systems.

* Progressive values and strong support for equality in and out of the workplace

* Looks good on a resume

Cons

* Massive corporate bloat. The company has been around for well over 100 years, and it still runs like an old company, with numerous levels of management slowly drip-feeding decisions through a painfully dense bureaucratic process. IBM is slow to react, and when your primary competition are billion-dollar newcomers with better brand recognition, that's not a sustainable position.

* Over-reliance on archaic first-party software and systems. I get it, it looks bad if you sell your own email client but use someone else's, but maybe that's just a sign that Notes is a failed product and we should cut our losses and let Microsoft take the .01% market share we're occupying, because Outlook/Exchange is better at everything we set out to do. This applies to a number of areas of concern.

* Inadequate compensation. There's no getting around it: IBM pays below industry average in any given area, for any given skill level in any given field. Other benefits are pretty average for the industry, so the argument that they're making up for the low dollar figure in other ways doesn't hold up anymore. Career advancement within the technical side caps out really quickly, and the only way to continue your development is by going into management, which is far more stress than it's worth.

* Cultural dissonance. As IBM has made a number of acquisitions in recent years, it's failed to integrate the company cultures of those acquisitions into itself, particularly taking the good from them. Instead, it pushes a preexisting central IBM culture that isn't compatible with the way many of these smaller companies' employees are used to operating. As a result, these employees continue to see themselves as employees of other companies and not as part of IBM, and it creates an us-vs-them mentality in the organization as a whole.

* No clear plan. While we hear all the time about "strategic imperatives" and other buzzwords, the fact is, no plan seems to stay in place longer than a couple of quarters, and we're not gaining any ground against our ever-stronger competition. In fact, IBM is still on a negative growth trend. Everyone knows about Watson, but it's still not making us any money, so what's the plan?

* Self-congratulatory management. Various managers and executives are constantly sending out emails and lectures about how IBM is doing so great innovating in x field over y period of time, which while dubious is understandable. However, every other manager uses the opportunity to suck up to the exec in question. Call it corporate politics, but no manager is willing to tell his boss when they're wrong. It rolls downhill in a way I've never seen elsewhere.

* Ginni Rometty. I always say, anything that happens at a company can be blamed on the CEO. In IBM's case, we've had Ginni for the last 12 years, and of that time, just about half of it has been spent on a constant decline. All the while, Ginni waxes on about her strategic imperatives and how they're going to Make IBM Great Again. Prior to being the CEO, she worked in strategic outsourcing, and everyone who could tell her things she doesn't want to hear, which could help make decisions that would improve our standing, is well aware of that history. There are worse CEOs to work under, but don't expect Jeff Bezos or Satya Nadela.

Advice to Management

Take the time to really understand why you've made the acquisitions you have, and internalize the philosophies they've used to become the industry disruptors they were, rather than pushing IBM philosophies onto them. It isn't the 1970s anymore, we can't afford to be a corporate behemoth in 2018. We need to adopt more agile ways of making business decisions, and rely less on sending stuff up and down through the management chain. Take a page out of Alan Mulally's book and encourage cooperation between different parts of the business without waiting on managers to squabble over who gets what piece of the pie.

Finally, understand that we can't coast on our name alone, expecting to attract customers- and moreover quality employees- just because we're Big Blue. Make changes to attract the best employees and replace some of our sales staff with marketing experts- it's no good having a bunch of salespeople waiting by the phone if no one knows who we are.

4. "Frustrated - IBM Cloud"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, tons of holidays, overall good benefits and pays competitively

Cons

A lot of stress, no life/work balance, no clear direction from management, no appreciation, no bonus to top performers.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your best employees and have way much better clear direction and goals.

5. "Project Executive"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities. Large company. Cognitive cloud industry

Cons

Small raises. Small bonuses. Expensive health care

Advice to Management

Pay more to retain good talent.

6. "Great company as long as business is good"

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, plethra of resources at your fingertips, cell phone discount, it's "THE" IBM!

Cons

Never know when the random layoffs will occur.

"Layed Off"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of employee resources. IBM does a good job of getting you the tools you need to do your job. Ok severance package.

Cons

Very difficult to feel good about the company when you can be layed off at anytime. They get rid of a lot of good people and replace them with cheaper offshore workers and wonder why they keep falling further and further behind. Management doesn't get it. They keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. A company cannot be successful if it does not have motivated employees. IBM does not have this. I came on via an acquisition and realized this from the first month. Unfortunately if IBM doesn't change it will not be around in 10 to 15 years.

Advice to Management

Change your way of thinking. Your people are your greatest asset and your failures are the result of not having a motivated work force. You cannot have an entire work force that knows that it is always just an RA away from being jobless. Why would the best and brightest want to work for a company like that. Stop worrying about Warren Buffet and the stock price and focus on making IBM a company that people can respect again and one that employees are proud of.

"A Former great employer...no longer"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great legacy and history. Ability to move around and work in different areas and develop new skills. Still some of the better benefits in industry

Cons

Has become company run by accountants who fire good people indiscriminately. Management scrambles quarter to quarter. Spend most of your time reporting internally instead of doing real work. So focused on getting "younger" they ignore everything else.

Advice to Management

Stop reorganizing the entire company every 2-3 quarters. Let people work and stop trying to write reports to justify their jobs. Fire the management that does nothing but bullwhip instead of firing workers who actually do work.

"Too focused on hiring from the outside and releasing existing employees!"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits.
    My co-workers are great hard working people that do what they are asked and more.

Cons

The current management regime from the Board, CEO, and top 200 executives are too focused on getting rid of pretty much anyone over 50. They keep saying the following over and over again, " We must focus on Millennials and getting new blood into the organization." ....translation, get rid of anyone older than 50. They are losing way too many highly skilled employees in the name of new skills. The very people that they are getting rid of possess those deep technical and highly sought after skills they say that they need to hire from the outside...pure B.S.

Advice to Management

Stop looking for reasons to get rid of people and redeploy them where their skills are effective. The costs associated with onboarding, learning IBM processes, and building trusted relationships with clients and fellow employees is very high. The turn over rate is much too high and the current environment is much too short sighted.

10. "IBM - destroyer of worlds (and employees)"

Current Contractor - Senior Dev Ops and Cloud Leader in Dallas, TX
    Current Contractor - Senior Dev Ops and Cloud Leader in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Some great people
    - Providing nice snacks and coffee for employees

Cons

- Some horrible management and leadership since Sam Palmisano took over in 2002
    - Palmisano started a culture that was unethical, destructive, and desolated much of IBM's excellent employees
    - Pathetic former leadership that believed "line your pockets" and "destroy your people" were the two most important and equally important matters
    - Ginny Rometty is dealing with the aftermath of 9 years of bad leadership under Palmisano

Advice to Management

- Listen to the technical leaders
    - Listen to those who are engaged in other fronts, especially the cloud -- get your team members learning other cloud products
    - Learn the competition well and bring in non-biased, non-political, non-partial people technical employees to start transforming and killing the red tape and slough internally

Showing 269 of 39,657 reviews