IBM Reviews in Dallas, TX | Glassdoor

Updated September 11, 2017

Dallas, TX

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 896 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 432 reviews)

1. "Review"

Current Employee - Software Applications Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Applications Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Good company to work for. Good work life balance.

Cons

Opportunities are shrinking not getting new businesses..

"Oasis of Sanity"

Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Linux Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you find the right team, there's fantastic management, wonderful working conditions, great pay and cool problems to work on. I love my job.

Cons

The direction from the company's executives ranges from nonsensical to flat-out counterproductive.

Advice to Management

Focus less on achieving your vision or competing with Amazon. Focus on the customers. Look at your most effective business units and try to emulate their practices in the rest of the company.

3. "Customer Support Analyst"

Former Contractor - Customer Support Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Contractor - Customer Support Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people still employed here are good people working here who team well.

Cons

No job security, no job advancement.

4. "Nineteen years and counting with a great company"

Current Employee - Talent Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Makes a real difference in the world. Very friendly to the LGBT community.

Cons

Can be a little difficult to navigate the organization due to size.

5. "IT Speciaslist"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best places to work for

Cons

The Pay package was average

"Complex Bid Manager"

Former Employee - Bid Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bid Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth
    Considerable work flexibility

Cons

The current movement of many jobs and responsibilities offshore
    A culture where 60+ hour work weeks is standard
    A running joke is vacation means you stay off the internal messaging so you can actually get work done

Advice to Management

With regard to support personnel, letting many experienced US employees go may save considerable money now, but will ultimately result in a decline in overall productivity globally.

"Not the Company It Used to Be"

Former Employee - Pre-Sales Software Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Pre-Sales Software Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Steady job with Salary and Good Benefits. When you have a good year, the bonuses can be very nice, especially working in Sales. You co-workers are really nice people, and pretty smart, too! They have built some great technology over the years, and some of it is still very valuable to customers.

Cons

I survived almost a constant threat of layoffs in 2016. I decided that I would not do that again in 2017. IBM is a financial company, it is only in business to make money. If you can improve revenues, cut costs, or innovate with very few resources, you are valuable. If you are here for any other reason, then you will not last long.

Advice to Management

Right now, you are a financial company. Your shareholders will not let you be anything else. But the problem is that you have to sell something to customers and make them happy. Right now customers aren't happy, employees aren't happy. For a technology and services company to thrive, you need happy customers and happy employees who buy from you and innovate and transform their businesses through your products. Good technology and services are like drugs. You give a little away, get them addicted, and then they are hooked for a very long time and willing to pay. The world is increasingly run on innovation. You competition is doing it, making less profit per unit, and getting much higher valuations. Here comes the advice: First, simplify. Your processes are too heavy and killing you. Second, sell business units that are not "strategic" to you. Right now, you're just running them into the ground. Third, you need to listen to your customers and make the changes they recommend. Fourth, make the big round of layoffs that you need to really make the numbers, then let your employees recover. Cut 3/4's of the company if you have to, but do it once. Don't have another layoff for another year or two. Support and help the employees you plan to keep, nurture them.

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competent smart employees. Flexible work life balance in offering remote office work opportunities unless recent changes impact this.

Cons

Internal processes sometimes are never reevaluated and changed or eliminated.

Advice to Management

Reduce executive ranks and overlap.

"Self Sufficiency is key"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. Really smart co-workers. Good Work/Life balance by way of Remote Work option. Opportunity to move around within the company and experience different positions.

Cons

IBM stands for I've Been Moved or I'm By Myself. Manager changes every 12 months. Sales coverage (territory) changes every 12 months. People come and go in your ecosystem rapidly so it is hard to develop long term working relationships. Mentor(s) will change as people leave. A lot of layoffs have affected morale. Sometimes you get a manager or find a mentor that will help you think through how to grow your career. Sometimes it seems like no one cares about you and your growth. I felt like every time I got a new manager or territory, I would have to start over again to develop my reputation as a high performer. Most of the time, I suffered from new guy syndrome. A tenured rep was laid off for a low performing territory and IBM would give me the crap territory and 12 months to turn it around. Hard to make a lot happen in a short amount of time. My colleagues told me not to be so hard on myself. If a tenured rep couldn't make the territory perform, there was not a lot more that I, the new guy, could do. But I tried my damnest, and after 4 or 5 restarts with new territories, IBM finally gave up on me.

Advice to Management

Reorganizing / Restructuring the sales team every 6 to 12 months is not going to stop the 20 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Customers are tired of IBMers showing up saying "I'm your new sales guy, let's met" Because they know that 12 months later, someone new will be saying the same thing. Pick a strategy and stick to it. You have fallen so far behind in cloud, mobile that I think y'all should just move on. If analytics (Watson) is the next big bet, then drop the price and start getting some wins. Work harder on what happens after the sale. Getting kicked out of MD Anderson and State of Texas are a major embarrassment.

10. "Technical Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Co-Worker Friendly Environment
    Salary

Cons

Kept in the dark with management long term goals
    Education is lacking, depending on what division you work with
    Lab budget is lacking, depending on what division you work with
    Equipment upgrade is slow