IBM Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 838 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 414 reviews)

1. "Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competent smart employees. Flexible work life balance in offering remote office work opportunities unless recent changes impact this.

Cons

Internal processes sometimes are never reevaluated and changed or eliminated.

Advice to Management

Reduce executive ranks and overlap.

"Self Sufficiency is key"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits. Really smart co-workers. Good Work/Life balance by way of Remote Work option. Opportunity to move around within the company and experience different positions.

Cons

IBM stands for I've Been Moved or I'm By Myself. Manager changes every 12 months. Sales coverage (territory) changes every 12 months. People come and go in your ecosystem rapidly so it is hard to develop long term working relationships. Mentor(s) will change as people leave. A lot of layoffs have affected morale. Sometimes you get a manager or find a mentor that will help you think through how to grow your career. Sometimes it seems like no one cares about you and your growth. I felt like every time I got a new manager or territory, I would have to start over again to develop my reputation as a high performer. Most of the time, I suffered from new guy syndrome. A tenured rep was laid off for a low performing territory and IBM would give me the crap territory and 12 months to turn it around. Hard to make a lot happen in a short amount of time. My colleagues told me not to be so hard on myself. If a tenured rep couldn't make the territory perform, there was not a lot more that I, the new guy, could do. But I tried my damnest, and after 4 or 5 restarts with new territories, IBM finally gave up on me.

Advice to Management

Reorganizing / Restructuring the sales team every 6 to 12 months is not going to stop the 20 consecutive quarters of negative growth. Customers are tired of IBMers showing up saying "I'm your new sales guy, let's met" Because they know that 12 months later, someone new will be saying the same thing. Pick a strategy and stick to it. You have fallen so far behind in cloud, mobile that I think y'all should just move on. If analytics (Watson) is the next big bet, then drop the price and start getting some wins. Work harder on what happens after the sale. Getting kicked out of MD Anderson and State of Texas are a major embarrassment.

"Too big and makes you feel small"

Former Employee - Recruiter II in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter II in Frisco, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supposedly wanted to learn our acquired company's way of doing things, but this wasn't what actually happened.

Cons

Acquired our company, added tons of administrative and reporting tasks that interfered with delivering to the client then let all of us go to hire contractors for less pay to do the same job without benefits...

Advice to Management

I was so unhappy with the changes made and knew it wasn't the fault of my direct management that I wasn't taking their actions personally.

"Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible schedule, great training program for university hires. Good managers for the most part so far.

Cons

Totally disorganized. Keep being moved to new roles without a chance to learn job duties and form relationships with clients. I have had 5 managers in 2.5 years. IBM doesn't value it's employees anymore and when cutbacks/layoffs are imminent, IBM will use whatever numbers/figures they need to get rid of people without taking into account client and manager/team feedback.

"IT Engineer"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Irving, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging job. Intelligent people. Flexible hours.

Cons

Always have the threat of a random layoff.

Advice to Management

none

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people and customers to work with

Cons

Offshoring too many support jobs, ie moving US jobs overseas, lack of technical training to properly support customer needs and problems

Advice to Management

Stop offshoring US based jobs just to save money, the support is not as good coming from overseas and there are too many communication barriers for the customers, customers will tell you this. Plus it is causing US people to lose jobs. Provide training to support personnel to properly support the customers.

8. "Be the change you want to see in the world… become an IBMer"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Stream Channel Manager in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Digital Sales Stream Channel Manager in Coppell, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to be successful and change the world you work for a company like IBM. IBM is on the cutting edge of technology and the opportunities are endless to those willing to work for it and earn it. Make no mistake about it… its highly competitive, edgy, stressful and at times it can feel like pure madness. This is what it takes to be a world leader in technology. IBM can help you tap into the greatest version of you and come out on the other side a contributor to the brilliance that is IBM.
    If you are interested in more than just benefits and you want to make a difference in today’s world… IBM is the place for you. (FYI… benefits are great). If you are just looking for a paycheck, “swipe LEFT”. All things being equal IBM has their share of issues just like every other company. No matter what company you work for, when faced with a challenge, you can complain about it or build a business case to fix it. At IBM you can be part of the solution that fixes the problem.
    IBM is a wealth of vision and inspiration and always looking forward to the future. I would challenge anyone reading this to be the change you want to see in the world… become an IBMer.

One piece of advice… It’s called BIG BLUE for a reason… do not get lost in the ocean…NETWORK.

Cons

I prefer to call them challenges... all companies have them. Nothing major you can't overcome.

Advice to Management

Keep the round tables going...

"think40 waste of resources"

Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM has a Think40 for every employee to upgrade their skills.

Cons

none of the courses are helpful for people to transition from their current role to other role. No input or suggestion from HR as to what courses are good for them to move on to avoid layoff or termination.

Advice to Management

help your more precious resources to acquire the skills needed for them to change their roles. Avoid waste of hiring outsiders who just learned these skills on their own.

10. "Business Development Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The level of people you interact with throughout the multiple business lines is top notch.

Cons

No work life balance, no day or hour is sacred.

Advice to Management

Focus on work life balance for employees.

11. "Unappreacated"

Current Contractor - Computer Support Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Contractor - Computer Support Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good

Cons

No benefits, no vacation, no holidays, no raises

Advice to Management

A path to being able to work for IBM would make a huge difference. As it is we know we will never be hired by IBM or ever receive a raise.

Showing 295 of 29,695 reviews