IBM Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Bad work life balance in the company" (in 1043 reviews)

• "Long Hours suck sometimes but not too bad" (in 481 reviews)

1. "Lived My Dream All Summer Long"

Former Intern - Summit Program Summer in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Summit Program Summer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities, good pay, good people, mentoring

Cons

Difficult to get to know other interns if you weren't a digital intern (though, I've heard from interns from other cities that did not share this experience)

Advice to Management

Help get interns outside of the digital sales internship to get to know each other

2. "good experience"

Former Intern - Senior Client Relations in Dallas, TX
    Former Intern - Senior Client Relations in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, well recognized brand name, multiple office locations, wide network, well-respected company, respectful culture, professional demeanor

Cons

can feel old-school, hard to find the right resources/ information/ people when needed because of how big the organization is without an organized method of finding resources, hard to learn about the many products of IBM because information is scattered across so many places

Advice to Management

Make sure you don't give a manager more reports than they can handle. When they get to the point where their relationships are just transactional with their employees and they aren't answering emails within 1-2 days (or at all) and aren't getting their employees feedback they need in a timely manner for them to progress, that manager is handling too many reports and is no longer effective as a manager

3. "Summit Internship Program"

Former Intern - Summit Digital Sales in Coppell, TX
    Former Intern - Summit Digital Sales in Coppell, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Helpful culture geared towards young people
    -Wide range of career opportunities

Cons

-Hands off management
    -Not practical experience selling

4. "Enterprise Architect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people on my team

Cons

Not sure what's going on with the overall company plans or goals. Feel very unstable

5. "IBM"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good environment to learn and enhance your skills

Cons

but not good salary hike

"IBM use to be a Good Company"

Former Employee - Executive Presales Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Presales Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people with who you get to work. Smart, motivated, caring, and passionate about doing the job right. The term "Respect for the Individual" exists between employees. (see con)

Cons

The motto "Respect for the Employee" WAS a tried and true belief at all levels of the company. Unfortunately, the company no longer treats its employees with respect. Resoure Action after Resoure Action killed morale.

Advice to Management

Quit running the business purely by the financial numbers, you have lost site of the value of a trusted and loyal employee. You have taken the loyalist and hardest working employees and RAed them out the door. Oh yes, some were listed as retirements, now known as RAtired employees.

"The Last Bastion of Corporate Bloat in an Agile World"

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Excellent Paid Time Off policy, particularly for employees in Essential Operations roles.

* Exposure to a very broad array of technologies and systems.

* Progressive values and strong support for equality in and out of the workplace

* Looks good on a resume

Cons

* Massive corporate bloat. The company has been around for well over 100 years, and it still runs like an old company, with numerous levels of management slowly drip-feeding decisions through a painfully dense bureaucratic process. IBM is slow to react, and when your primary competition are billion-dollar newcomers with better brand recognition, that's not a sustainable position.

* Over-reliance on archaic first-party software and systems. I get it, it looks bad if you sell your own email client but use someone else's, but maybe that's just a sign that Notes is a failed product and we should cut our losses and let Microsoft take the .01% market share we're occupying, because Outlook/Exchange is better at everything we set out to do. This applies to a number of areas of concern.

* Inadequate compensation. There's no getting around it: IBM pays below industry average in any given area, for any given skill level in any given field. Other benefits are pretty average for the industry, so the argument that they're making up for the low dollar figure in other ways doesn't hold up anymore. Career advancement within the technical side caps out really quickly, and the only way to continue your development is by going into management, which is far more stress than it's worth.

* Cultural dissonance. As IBM has made a number of acquisitions in recent years, it's failed to integrate the company cultures of those acquisitions into itself, particularly taking the good from them. Instead, it pushes a preexisting central IBM culture that isn't compatible with the way many of these smaller companies' employees are used to operating. As a result, these employees continue to see themselves as employees of other companies and not as part of IBM, and it creates an us-vs-them mentality in the organization as a whole.

* No clear plan. While we hear all the time about "strategic imperatives" and other buzzwords, the fact is, no plan seems to stay in place longer than a couple of quarters, and we're not gaining any ground against our ever-stronger competition. In fact, IBM is still on a negative growth trend. Everyone knows about Watson, but it's still not making us any money, so what's the plan?

* Self-congratulatory management. Various managers and executives are constantly sending out emails and lectures about how IBM is doing so great innovating in x field over y period of time, which while dubious is understandable. However, every other manager uses the opportunity to suck up to the exec in question. Call it corporate politics, but no manager is willing to tell his boss when they're wrong. It rolls downhill in a way I've never seen elsewhere.

* Ginni Rometty. I always say, anything that happens at a company can be blamed on the CEO. In IBM's case, we've had Ginni for the last 12 years, and of that time, just about half of it has been spent on a constant decline. All the while, Ginni waxes on about her strategic imperatives and how they're going to Make IBM Great Again. Prior to being the CEO, she worked in strategic outsourcing, and everyone who could tell her things she doesn't want to hear, which could help make decisions that would improve our standing, is well aware of that history. There are worse CEOs to work under, but don't expect Jeff Bezos or Satya Nadela.

Advice to Management

Take the time to really understand why you've made the acquisitions you have, and internalize the philosophies they've used to become the industry disruptors they were, rather than pushing IBM philosophies onto them. It isn't the 1970s anymore, we can't afford to be a corporate behemoth in 2018. We need to adopt more agile ways of making business decisions, and rely less on sending stuff up and down through the management chain. Take a page out of Alan Mulally's book and encourage cooperation between different parts of the business without waiting on managers to squabble over who gets what piece of the pie.

Finally, understand that we can't coast on our name alone, expecting to attract customers- and moreover quality employees- just because we're Big Blue. Make changes to attract the best employees and replace some of our sales staff with marketing experts- it's no good having a bunch of salespeople waiting by the phone if no one knows who we are.

8. "Principal Technical Architect"

Former Employee - Principal Technical Architect in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Principal Technical Architect in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big company. Has buying power.

Cons

IBM bought our Skype for Business hosted division from AT&T. Never meant to promote a Microsoft solution just wanted the infrastructure. Got out as soon as the time limit for bonus from AT&T was up. In the on-boarding lead by an employee from another acquisition, they played movie clips to evidence their dominance philosophy. Think Apocalypse Now. They even included the line from 300 "THIS IS SPARTA!"

Advice to Management

wake up this is no way to win.

9. "Frustrated - IBM Cloud"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, tons of holidays, overall good benefits and pays competitively

Cons

A lot of stress, no life/work balance, no clear direction from management, no appreciation, no bonus to top performers.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your best employees and have way much better clear direction and goals.

10. "Project Executive"

Current Employee - Project Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities. Large company. Cognitive cloud industry

Cons

Small raises. Small bonuses. Expensive health care

Advice to Management

Pay more to retain good talent.

Showing 352 of 40,354 reviews