IBM Reviews in Dublin, OH | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 896 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 432 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Release Manager-Project Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Release Manager-Project Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovation, good work/life balance, good benefits, great, wonderful teammates. Watson has the potential to change the world.

Cons

IBM hasn't met their market targets for 20 quarters. Unfortunately, this results in IBM's continued need to lay off workers.

Career opportunities used to be endless with IBM's remote work policy. However, IBM is moving to a collocation philosophy, which makes career moves within the company much more difficult.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a lot of things right. IBM is investing in innovative and world-altering technology development. There seems to be a lot of churn in the sales team. If you can stabilize that work force, you might be able to turn around those quarterly results and get back on track with revenue goals.

"IT Engineer"

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to learn. Great people around. Many technical gurus available.

Cons

Think of yourself as the leaf on a tree in a windy day during winter. You never know when you will fall off. No one knows what a pay raise means. There's no such thing. It exists only in the imaginary minds. Upper executives are greedy and have no clues to where the company should be heading to.

Advice to Management

There's no such thing as 'management' in the company. I am still working here but so sad to see how the company is poorly performing and competing with major companies out there.

3. "IBM a great place to work and balance family life"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist in Dublin, OH

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When IBM bought Sterling Commerce they allowed their employees to all work from home 5 days a week. The benefits are good. The technology you get exposed to is awesome and the people are the brightest super stars you will ever find anywhere.

Cons

On March 6, 2017 IBM announced that they were restructuring our division and we had to relocate to a new city. The dental and eye coverage is not very good. I would have stayed with company if I was able to continue to work from Columbus Ohio

"Good at first, but wears on you"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and resources, many long-term employees with high expertise that you can learn from, usually a decent mix of casual culture and business culture (ie not a startup but not business professional - you can have fun)

Cons

Tons of bureaucracy, management makes mistakes and blames problems on those below them, focus on sales over actually creating the project

5. "It was nice working with IBM"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home option improved productivity as it provides flexibility to work with globally located team. Supportive teams to help you board on to the project

Cons

All the processes are slow including the hiring process. The reason for it I believe is being a huge company.

6. "Good place to get on resume, not as good for experience"

Current Intern - IT Specialist in Dublin, OH
    Current Intern - IT Specialist in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Big name
    -Good people and coworkers
    -As an internship, having this name on resume got me about 7 times the amount of call backs for first interviews
    -Have never had a negative experience with coworkers

Cons

-Poor organization
    -Constant Reorganizations
    -Extremely bureaucratic
    -Frequent layoffs (interns and new-hires are usually excluded)
    -Have "hiring freezes" where all interviews are terminated. This can be annoying while in the process of looking for a full-time position

Advice to Management

Understand what products you're making. Many organizations do not know how to organize themselves and upper management seem to just ignore the dysfunctional on lower levels. I have heard developers trash talking their own products they happen to be working on.

7. "Avoid the Dublin/Columbus, Ohio office if you value your sanity!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Dublin, OH

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific benefits. Keep your eyes and ears open for good projects and teams. They are rare and will ultimately define your experience at IBM.

Cons

I worked at the Dublin/Columbus, Ohio office close to two years in software group (SWG), before calling it quits, and this is what I observed. My "manager" tried everything in his hands to see you squirm and needed any excuse to criticize you. He was not at all interested in your professional growth and very interested in running a sweatshop. I told him I was going to apply internally for jobs (which more closely aligned with my interests and experiences), and he told me that that would negatively impact my performance review and asked that I not return in the new year (2015), hence why I quit. Under my manager he had a few senior leads. My senior lead was equally unhelpful, and had absolutely no professional etiquette (back talk, backroom plotting, etc...). The Dublin, Ohio office is more like a clique, where one is rewarded more by how well one can play the games thrown at them from management, and not by the quality of your work.

The way, both, the manager and senior lead conducted themselves in and around the office created an extremely toxic environment.

My manager did not have the courtesy to conduct my exit interview or give me the results of it. I learned through another manager about a week later of my results.

I am convinced that this is strictly a problem in the Dublin, Ohio (or Columbus, Ohio) office. If you apply to IBM, please, please, please, do your sanity a huge favor and do not apply to Dublin, Ohio or Columbus, Ohio.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management in Dublin/Columbus, Ohio:

Focus on manager training for managers. Value the skills people bring to the table. Respect one another. Listen to one another. Help one another.

8. "Re-building"

Former Employee - Executive, Sales in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Executive, Sales in Dublin, OH

I worked at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with top talent and innovative solutions in a fast paced environment.

Cons

The complexity and size of the company has challenged the growth and success of IBM. The company has faltered in their ability to maintain top talent that have either left or fallen through the cracks.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain a laser focus on the most innovative and differentiating solutions, i.e.Watson, data, mobility, cloud and security and do not let the peripheral issues, bureacracy and complexity get in the way of innovation, flexibility and success. Re-build a culture of trust, collaboration and a model for leadership.

9. "Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dublin, OH

Pros

Lots of smart people that are willing to help you learn.
    Everyone is very helpful.
    Ability to work on big important projects that can have a huge impact on the World.
    The people around you want to see you succeed and want to help.

Cons

You can get lost in such a big company. It's hard to not feel like a small person in a large machine.
    Not much leadership from management, but there are others around that can help teach you the in's and out's on the company.

Advice to Management

Pay special attention to your new-hires.
    Focus on the future, not just making your system work. Think about how can this change the way we do business?

10. "Good Experience"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Dublin, OH
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work experience
    People are helpful and with good knowledge

Cons

No interactions with other interns
    No benefits other than salary

Showing 17 of 32,458 reviews