IBM Reviews in Durham, NC | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Bad work life balance in the company" (in 1049 reviews)

• "Low salary increments since last 2 years" (in 488 reviews)

1. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Early Stage Specialist in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Early Stage Specialist in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decdicated at expanding their employees knowledge

Cons

Resources can a little better

2. "Technical Project Manager"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a lot of the pros of a big company. Good benefits, flexible working times and lots of great employees to work with. There are lots of opportunities to move around and grow your career in IBM as well!

Cons

The primary con was the long working hours. It was up to you how to manage them, but be aware of that going in. Also, now at IBM is their relatively new policy on layoffs, where all employees regardless of seniority get only one month's severance when the benefit for severance used to be much better for experienced employees.

3. "I would describe my experience with IBM so far as interesting, but precarious."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Great people. I enjoy talking to my coworkers and all IBMers. I have been able to get guidance and help from anyone I ask and it’s great.

2. The benefits are decent as well, it depends on what you’re looking for, they could be better on the health insurance side and the profit sharing bonus side.

3. Flexibility. You can move to a new team, organization, or role if you don’t feel like a fit in your current place, but find a new place that is better.

4. Most teams seem to allow for a good work/life balance (although it is variable by team, my first team was pretty bad in this regard).

Cons

1. Management is hit or miss. I have had 3 managers so far, the first one was a nice guy, but I didn’t feel like he was interested in managing (he was more technical and only met with us once per the quarter, the minimum times, sometimes even missing that deadline). The other 2 managers have been great and really seem interested in me as a person as well as an employee making me feel like I have a chance to grow in the company.

2. There aren’t many day-to-day soft benefits at our location. What I mean is there aren’t typical tech company comforts like free coffee or snacks and such. This isn’t a huge problem, but other companies in the industry do more in this space.

3. Variability in how things are run from team to team and organization to organization. If you’re not on a great team or in the wrong organization at the wrong time, that might be the reason why you have stress in your job like, bad work/life balance, bad management, constant fear of layoffs, etc.

4. "great work culture"

Current Contractor - QA Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Contractor - QA Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

great company to work for..

Cons

nothing major. salary can be given more

"Software Developer Intern"

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, knowledgeable managers, environment that encouraged learning

Cons

HR was disorganized at times

Advice to Management

Better help with finding housing

6. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some brilliant people work here

Cons

Salaries not competitive
    Little respect for employees
    Policies, red tape, lack of funding make it difficult to engage and satisfy clients

7. "Staff Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

competitive pay, decent work environment, opportunities to learn new skills are plentiful.

Cons

benefits are lackluster, with expensive health insurance. Most buildings on campus are outdated and offer few amenities, though some spaces have been renovated.

"Co-workers were awesome but the place tried to take my soul"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were high caliber, got to learn a lot

Cons

Management is out of touch, they lead you on, if you are not sales then you are unimportant. R&D not respected. Especially if you are QA. Every release they play the blame game. If a bug gets out then they flay QA, even though team leads reiterate that the product is not ready and needs more time. They do not listen. Everyone they hire into Watson Health is led to believe they will work with Watson but the closest they get is using Watson's search algorithm. Bonuses are nonexistent. Good people leave and are not replaced which facilitates other attrition, stress, and teams that are too lean. The first few months I was there no one knew what to do with me and I'd sit idle too much, which I hate. There is no spare computer. If your hard drive goes, too bad, you have to send it somewhere and wait. Yeah. Also, sometimes your IP gets locked out for the day if you're on campus at RTP so you have to go home to work. I could go on but I think this is enough, when coupled to the fact that I went on a week's vacation, got back to discover that the whole wing of seats behind me (big open agile space) was empty when I returned. Yep, let go...

Advice to Management

Stop with the all hands meetings that are all sales goals oriented. I was in R&D and could do very little about the bottom line other than deliver awesome tech. It gets very hard to clap for the fiftieth time over some dude I don't know who sold a lot of what I MADE. Give the devs and QA a bone

"Big Blue"

Current Employee - Resource Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Resource Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots on internal opportunity, good people throughout the company

Cons

It's a big company that's been around a long time... many, many processes that at times contradict themselves.

10. "Overall, IBM tries to be a design-friendly company"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Durham, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive pay. Design-centric culture with brand new design studios.

Cons

Slow product development process and layers of upper management that never stay aligned. High turnover makes you an little uneasy.

Advice to Management

Allow designers to spend more time getting work done, rather than advocating for work that needs to be done.

Showing 118 of 40,777 reviews