IBM Reviews in Essex Junction, VT | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty

1. "IBM review"

Current Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Essex Junction, VT
    Current Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Essex Junction, VT

Pros

Good work from home policy. Good life work balance. Great benefits package and long term disability policy.

Cons

Slow salary growth. Sometimes very strange policies come down from way up that make no sense.

Advice to Management

Give more control and trust to lower level management to do the right thing.

2. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Fab Process Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Fab Process Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I thought the work life balance was good. You were able to go home at the end of the day and were not called after hours or on weekends very often. Most of the time the job seemed balanced, enough to do but not too over whelmed. I thought management help keep you balanced if you got too much on your plate. Enjoyable people.

Cons

You will find cons any where you work. If I had to pick one sometimes you had to find root cause on things that almost felt impossible, but you can do your best and if you came prepared I thought management was pretty understanding. I can also remember people being unsure if they would have a job from lay offs but this may be over with now.

"Not the best company..."

Former Employee - Operator Technician in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Operator Technician in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's probably somewhat better in the R&D-related departments.

Cons

Terrible management from bottom to top, insistence on outdated managerial styles that reward cronyism and discourage competence, somewhat shady bookeeping practices.

Advice to Management

Seriously reconsider your approach to your employees - they're not 'capital' they're people.

5. "Excellent work culture and work-life balance"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working hours are reasonable. 40hrs a week when things are slow. Maybe 50-55 on hectic weeks.
    Pay is excellent and the people are very smart and friendly

Cons

Not sure where management is trying to take the company. Sense lack of vision.

6. "Great While it Lasted"

Former Employee - Development Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Development Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for promotion and education. You could move up or stay in your position. When I was there from 1995 through 2003 management encouraged upward mobility.

Cons

Very difficult to get a decent pay raise due to pay band compression. New hires frequently were given higher salaries over established more senior workers

Advice to Management

Go back and look at the original list from Mr Watson and reinstate his core values. Those ideas never go out of style

7. "Maintenance Technician"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Essex Junction, VT

Pros

Benefits and the people I work with.

Cons

Pay could be better. No job security these days.

"It's all going downhill"

Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Advisory Hardware Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Although work-life balance continues to suffer with each passing year, you are still flexible to take care of errands and appointments as needed. There is a plethora of talented people in the workplace. And for the most part, there is mutual respect among co-workers.

Cons

Work morale is at an all-time low due to layoffs and feeling underappreciated by upper management. Because of this, most of the employees who would otherwise be motivated and passionate to innovate, just put in their time, and hope they survive the next round. Perks are practically nonexistent. Benefits, if you can even call it that, continue to get worse.

Salary is subpar compared to the competition. And salary increases are a meager 1-3%, if you are even lucky to get one. Promotions are quite difficult to come by, and management does little to nothing to help you grow in your career.

The buildings are old and dilapidated, and many of the offices are vacant. This sets off a depressing mood as you stroll down the hallways. But what I find most amusing are the water fountains that are not chilled. What's up with that?

Advice to Management

If you want to be the best in the business, start by treating the employees the way you would want to be treated. They are the ones who help pave the way to excellence.

"Getting worse all the time"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

Pros

I've always been happy with how flexible the job has been. If you need time for a doctor's appt or something, you just take the time. No one is looking over my shoulder or tracking anything. Working from home is an option, and also flexible. I've also had great teams, and most of my managers have been good. Overall it has been a positive experience.

Cons

Salary - very poor, not competitive with other companies, and getting worse as the Burlington fab has been the anchor on Ginni's plans.
    Morale - yearly layoff's have taken their toll. Nearly everyone I talk to is grumpy and pissed at IBM. It's really made it an unhappy place to work. I used to enjoy my job, now I'm mostly putting in my time.

Advice to Management

My immediate (first level) management has always been good but they are completely limited by the decisions of upper level management. Those decisions have caused our best engineers to leave for other companies and 1st level management has nothing they can do about it. High level management needs to care about their employees more than their shareholders or they will drive the company into the ground.

10. "It WAS a Great Company"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Essex Junction, VT

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Time off; Direct management trust and communication.

Cons

Too many benefits removed or eroded in the last 10 years.

Advice to Management

Try to stabilize the work environment. Too many changes happening too fast.

11. "Supply Chain Analyst"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Essex Junction, VT
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Essex Junction, VT

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) People are great, willing to help
    2) IBM is great name to have on resume
    3) Good way to start career

Cons

1) Lack of formal training, disorganized management strategy
    2) Lack of opportunity to advance due to bad performance in the division, promotions and raise are hard to come by
    3) Managers expect you to work weekends and after hours - although the hours can be flexible
    4) Managers disconnected with what employees actual do - inability to make business decisions, decisions and works progresses very slowly
    5) Culture lacks energy and employees lack work ethnics - most people are ready to retire no incentive to work hard

Advice to Management

Identify high potential employees and understand how they like to advance their career - gain new skills, new job, promotion, good rating, professional training & etc. AND DO SOMETHING TO HELP THEM TO HELP THE COMPANY

Showing 50 of 29,658 reviews