IBM Reviews in Galway, Ireland | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
  1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Galway

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment to work in

Cons

Could be more social activities to meet new people

Advice to Management

Help create career paths

IBM2017-10-31
  2. "Great for social side of things."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Galway

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, friendly environment on site. Projects are interesting and there is a great social aspect to the company.

Cons

Not many I can think of. The work can sometimes feel dated depending on what you're working on.

IBM2017-09-05

"Pays well but the prospects are poor"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Galway

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays well. IBM seems to pay above average for the market we are in. While this is nice coming in the door it makes it difficult when looking for an exit strategy.

Cons

Little to no support for long term planning. Everything is focused on the stock price, There is no apparent long term planning. IBM buys smaller companies, does minimal effort to merge the newly acquired products with others before selling to their customers and squeezing every last dollar out. With little or no support the flow of dollars is eventually reduced, the product sold to another company and the process... starts again. IBM does not innovate. Has lost mind share as it has no products targeted toward the consumer market and newer purchasing managers have never heard of them. Finally, the skills developed at IBM are IBM centric. While they will sometimes contribute to open source they don't sell it to customers. Learning how to do things the IBM way is not transferable to other companies and in most cases will make you a skills dinosaur in a few years.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to cover all the product bases, pick a few that you are good at and put the effort in to make good products that companies want. Get the IBM name back out in front of the people making the buy decisions.

IBM2017-07-24
  4. "Learned a lot & great people, but felt old fashioned. Needs a modern approach to work."

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Galway

I worked at IBM for less than a year

Pros

Great people, learned a lot over the course of my internship. Had a mentor assigned to me that i could ask all the basic questions to at the beginning, without feeling stupid. After a small amount of time the questions were few and far between. Fun work outings, sports, etc.

Cons

Office was very old fashioned, boring and lacking life. But I believe this was expected to change to a more open plan layout. I worked with teams remotely instead of working with those who were sitting right beside me. Huge workload which left little time to unwind. Not enough opportunity to be creative, perhaps due to working in automated testing.

Advice to Management

Make the office more fun, social and a happier place to be.

IBM2017-03-27
  5. "Technical Team Lead"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Galway

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Flexible, stable environment. Opportunities to move roles internally and look at opportunities internationally.

Cons

To much process, technologies out of date, and now has little investment in development of products.

Advice to Management

Invest in products and your largest asset your employees.

IBM2015-04-19