IBM Reviews in Greenville, SC | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Great office environment"

Former Intern - Data Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Intern - Data Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, convenient location, very affordable gym on the work campus. I loved it there, and would like to work for IBM again.

Cons

The only downside to my relationship with IBM is that it was a summer job. They will not have any positions open for me when I graduate college in May.

"Consultant_ID"

Current Employee - Consultant_ID in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Consultant_ID in Greenville, SC

Pros

Rich history. IBM has done (and continues to do) many good things for the world. Without IBM, NASA wouldn't have sent a man to the moon. We wouldn't have the personal computer. Women and minorities wouldn't have the types of management opportunities that IBM has afforded them. For a very long time, IBM's heart and soul were aimed in the right direction. And, I am continuing to be impressed by Watson's capabilities. It should prove to be a game changer for millions.

Cons

At some point (actually, during the height of the recession), IBM opted to purchase good companies who were in distress, rather than enhance and reward their existing talent pool. For the three worst years of the recession, IBM did exceedingly well. But, Sam Palmisano saw the tidal wave that was about to hit, and took a HUGE severance package, leaving our current president (Ginni Rommetty) with a mess to clean up. Eight straight quarters of declining revenue, stealth layoffs (some that have impacted entire state economies), morale that is sinking, and a North American workforce that is afraid that they won't have a job after 2015. Many are hoping to get laid off with a severance package. Even more are opting for early retirement. At least then, they can take a break and recover before looking for another job. Work life balance no longer exists. One former employee, a woman who opted for part time status (she had a child) was forced to pay $150,000 in court fees when she claimed that she was asked to work a 60 hour week, even though she was being paid for 20. While I have no court fees yet, I can personally attest that my reduced workload has been a bonanza for IBM. I am always assigned work that is improperly scoped, and when I complain that I am not being paid for a 60 hour work week, the only response that I get (from a well intentioned manager) is to be more efficient in managing my time. Whatever. IBM's forced attrition plan (aka "Roadmap 2015) virtually guarantees that they will continue to shed honest, skilled, hard working folks. Our replacements, while nice folks, will be under paid, over-utilized, and in constant fear of losing their job. Really too bad, because IBM has the potential to turn this sinking ship around. For their sake, I hope that they do.

Advice to Management

I was fully prepared to make this my career until my 50's, and used to have admiration for folks who made it more than 20 years with IBM. I no longer feel that way. Please find a way to boost morale for the poor souls who still believe in you.

3. "Could have been better"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible as fsr as vacation and sick time. Decent pay.

Cons

The division I worked in was more like a sweat shop. Call center..need I say more. If a call center is your cup of tea then you'll do fine if not, its like living in hell! Not representative of the real IBM.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees

4. "Was stressful and difficult to deal with resources oversee."

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is a good company which offer a lot of possibilities to expand your knowledge.

Cons

Difficult to handle oversee resources sometimes.

Advice to Management

none

5. "Was one the the really great American companies - now only cares about wallstreet"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Pros

Stable Company in general with average benefits

Cons

Lay you off in a hearbeat - if it will save the company money in the furture - does not matter what you have done in the past for IBM

Advice to Management

You can handle a lot by attrition - you do not have to take things earned from employees

"Don't it Make my Brown Eyes Blue..."

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Greenville, SC

Pros

Fresh out of school, I think it would be a great place to explore because there are so many different IBMs. There are opportunities to work in almost any part of the globe and in really excellent fields like fractals. IBM also has a lot of presence in Second Life, which is a lot like having the company's blessing to play games!

Cons

If you're acquired later in a career, and there is nothing similar, they don't necessarily know what to do with you, and it's really up to you to try to dig yourself out of miscategorization. Also, since it is so large, if you're used to a small company where it's easy to make sure everyone knows something, the 'pull' culture at IBM is tough to get used to - w3 is a great mass of information that you're expected to navigate for yourself.

Advice to Management

That there are a lot of employees this year who are wondering what happened to their slice of the record results reported last year.

7. "IBM Global Services"

Former Employee - Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Analyst in Greenville, SC

Pros

Telling people that you work for IBM gave me immediate respect for my abilities - regardless of what I said I did. The benefits were greats

Cons

The division I was worked for had very poor communication. The change in the operations from inhouse to the global delivery system was done with seemingly little regard for the inhouse personel. Compensation changes had rules changes every year - regionalizing pay scales, market adjustments for specific job classes and not others - unfortunately, there are people that were not receiving even a cost of living type adjustment thus effectively getting a negative raise. That doesn't do much for morale.

Advice to Management

Start talking to the staff, tell them what is really going on, have the management stop telling people what you think they want to hear.

Showing 7 of 35,663 reviews