IBM HR Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

IBM HR Reviews

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.5
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

IBM hires the best and the brightest. Teams are packed with talent and expertise. Their in-house curriculum is robust and easily accessible. They're constantly reinventing themselves and capitalizing on their technology strengths (Watson, Cloud, AI, Blockchain, etc..). Highly engaged individuals, who establish strong relationships, thrive in the culture.

Cons

Leadership is extremely weak and dysfunctional. Internal processes are mismanaged, disconnected, and inefficient. It's an extremely political environment that rewards cut throat mentality and minimizes collaboration. Transparency is virtually non-existent. They're under constant forecast / revenue /utilization duress which cascades into every aspect of company operations. The compensation is not competitive, and their bonus pay out is highly convoluted with no clear performance ties. Work-Life Balance is non-existant. After many years of top performance, accolades, Blue Point Awards, I opted to resign, for quality of life, and I have discovered there are many healthy, thriving cultures, with exciting opportunities, that not only engage and reward their employees but also collaborate with and empower their teams. Their current state is apparent based on not making any "top employer" lists (Forbes, Fortune, Working Mother, Glassdoor, etc...).

Advice to Management

Being "IBM" is not enough. Its culture and leadership practices need to be revamped. Innovation needs to be complimented by engaged, happy, passionate teams who are thriving professionally and personally. Human Resource processes, such as Performance Reviews/Checkpoints, need to be clearly defined, executed, and a priority, with progressive feedback, and not be tabled due to competing priorities. Talent attraction is surviving due to the IBM name, but retention and full performance potential are severely crippled due to the culture.

IBM2017-12-20

"IBM Armonk"

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Manager in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

IBM has incredible internal marketing. When working within IBM, you actually start to believe that you are fortunate to work at IBM and that the company is on the brink of a brilliant transformation. The town halls and internal events feel celebratory even when the earnings calls are anything but positive. And even when you're working 16+ hours per day and under pressure to perform miracles.

Cons

The stress level at IBM creates a toxic and unhealthy environment. So many colleagues endured stress related health issues and medical leaves that I lost count. It wasn't until I left IBM that I realized that "work life balance" still means something outside of IBM.

IBM2017-10-30
  3. "Vice President, Human Resources"

Current Employee - Vice President, Human Resources

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Deep thinking, All-inclusive, Diverse, Caring, Non-invasive, Understanding, Friendly

Cons

Cannot think of many, seriously, but with scale one can feel to be on an island someties

IBM2017-08-29

"HR"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People work very hard - give up their lives!

Cons

Company is failing and not rethinking approaches

Advice to Management

Get it together

IBM2017-09-06
  5. "Great company to grow professional skills"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Offering Learning in a plethora of topics Fosters mentoring Diversity

Cons

Road blocks to transition between job functions Evaluation process is bias and debilitating Promotion of unprepared people managers

Advice to Management

Promote people managers that have unequivocally demonstrated the required skills and cultural & organizational readiness.

IBM2017-05-12

"Amazing Career Opportunities as You Progress in Life"

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

As I progressed through life and my 30 years at IBM, my job interests changed. IBM has so many career opportunities and remains so current, that I was able to move from engineering to project management to consulting to sales and to human resources, each job building on the skills I developed from the previous role. And, I was able to do this within the same IBM family. Leadership development is also a great advantage, allowing me to take on exciting and challenging assignments to prepare for the next phase of my career. I made the right choice.

Cons

There is too little time in life to be able to experience all the career opportunities that IBM has to offer.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on staying relevant and providing opportunities to those with the ambition to move the company in the right direction.

IBM2017-04-20
  7. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything is great, even the ability to work from home

Cons

There are no cons that I can think of

IBM2017-04-27
  8. "One of THE Top 5 brands to work for...............globally"

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Continually re-invents itself to stay relevant to changing times. IBM is 'World Issue' relevant, not just a technology services company - focusing on solving issues such as curing diseases, ensuring that expertise in areas such as healthcare, law, finance is available to ALL, no matter where you live or your socio-economic limitations, etc. IBM has had a focus on equal pay and diversity since long before it became a focus for other organizations. Career development opportunities are second to none, the internal movement of staff to new roles is a constant focus

Cons

Sometimes it can be a little bureaucratic and overly 'matrixed' - but with 400,000+ staff its difficult not to have some of that..........pay/benefits are good but not industry leading - real motivation to join comes from the career opportunity presented, the chance for personal and professional growth once in IBM and the thrill of working for an industry leading brand which is taking Watson to the world.

Advice to Management

Be a little more willing to take risks and empower your good people - don't get bogged down in process

IBM2017-04-25
  9. "HR"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work / life flexibility, career paths/opportunities/progression, diversity and inclusion, IBM values, company that continues to transform and make a real difference and impact in the world.

Cons

Constant focus on budgets and financials, long hours

IBM2017-04-19

"Leaders are not role models"

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great values and great vision. The strategy designed for IBM's business growth and culture change is right on point with the needs of the new and changing environment. The management tend not to evaluate you based on hours, but impact and results - and they are advised to also evaluate how you achieve these results (you must live the values).

Cons

Our leaders do not do what they preach! IBM lives a constant dichotomy between what we know we need to do and what we're used to do and know the results that come from it. It's natural for any company going through such a big change, but most of the leaders are the ones not acting as the IBMers of the future and still pressuring their team to do the same so they can stay in their comfort zone - this is making a lot of good talent leave IBM.

Advice to Management

There's a lot of talk about people refreshment, but are we targeting all the population needed? I feel that we're not being hard enough on our leaders when it comes to behavior - we talk about it, but at the end, we're really just measuring them based on numbers. If they don't change, we won't move forward

IBM2017-03-28