IBM Reviews in Kirkland, WA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 778 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 390 reviews)

1. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM is a good company to work at. Work-life balance is good

Cons

Too many lengthy and slow Processes

2. "It has been great so far"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allows career growth, remote work and flexible work promoted. Decent pay. Friendly co-workers.

Cons

Remote work being pulled out. Health benefits below average.

Advice to Management

Continue offering remote and flexible work options.

"Once great; now scrambling to keep up"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Co-workers; well-known brand; good benefits; large company so potential to experience many different kinds of business units.

Cons

Company leaders are wholly focused on shareholder price and looking good on the outside to the exclusion of everything else. Lots of spinning of image to look relevant, but on the inside staff are struggling to complete work with antiquated hardware and inadequate software tools. Many layers of process to complete a request.

Frequent lay-off programs and stacked ranking evaluation systems either frighten employees into working themselves to death or pit them against each other to get a better ranking. Staff are constantly told to 'get exposure' to upper management so when ranking time comes around they will not be just a faceless headcount to cut.

Raises, bonuses are infrequent; pay low to average.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your people. There are amazing, bright, talented, on fire staff willing to work hard for you. Stack ranking is destroying the company morale.

5. "Big Blue was a gerat company to work for"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a great Team experience,- people pitching in and working to get the job done. PTO and good benefits. Some leadership training provided.

Cons

The company stopped nurturing employee growth (e.g. no more leadership training classes) in favor of increasing shareholder dividends- a plan that was eventually scrapped in 2015.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees and work to help them achieve their career goals while still working to achieve company success.

"IBM's going down hill fast, Moral wise and career wise."

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

Pros

Salary and Benifits. Being able to work from home is nice.

Cons

The company lacks leadership, guidance under the current CEO. It's a fend for yourself type environment instead of a team building, help the last man standing type place. Managers only look out for themselves and don't create a cohesive team environment..

Advice to Management

Managers need to start building a team foundation where everyone thrives with new skills and cross training. All the reorganizations of certain groups truly drive a wedge between team growth. The reorgs create uncertainty in the Org. People are scared for their jobs with all the layoffs happening. Bad Moral for the last 10 years has created a horrible work environment.

"Fast-paced and efficient work environment but not exciting."

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employees are all smart and dependable. The company is efficiently run (at least in my department) and I learn a lot about efficiently managing and working in large software projects.

Cons

The workplace is very competitive and not very rewarding. You complete against your peers for paltry raises. The amount of cost cutting is very concerning and many people are worried about layoffs. Everyone I work with has been been working on the same pieces of the same software project for over a decade.

Advice to Management

Need greater flexibility in job roles. Everyone works hard and applies themselves to their job. Raises should be larger and shared throughout the company and not just to the top 15% (this is from someone who regularly achieves top contributor status).

8. "IBM was a great company."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with many decent, hardworking, and intelligent people.
    Remote work.
    Flexible hours.

Cons

Long work hours, decreasing benefits, no outside training opportunities.
    Company put employees at the last order in priority, after Wall Street, customers. It's better be stock holder than an employee.

Advice to Management

Embrace opensource products.

9. "Career push and technical computer skills constant learning opportunity."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strive to climb career ladder
    Self learner
    Constant need to learn and be busy

Cons

Huge corporate structure
    Continual yearly job cuts
    Daily job tools not latest software used outside of IBM

Advice to Management

Cut more of upper high end mgmt positions &/or salaries so you can keep lower positions that actually do all the work.

10. "Contractor at IBM"

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer in Kirkland, WA

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are smart and they know their jobs. Pleasure to work with

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about them

11. "has its pros and cons, but overall worth staying"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in Kirkland, WA

Pros

The people I work with are great - I've made some of my best friends here. The company is also amenable with working remotely, which is great, considering the gas prices. The benfits are pretty good, compared to family/friends working elsewhere. My manager is good with the work/life balance, and he generally fights for his employees (though many other mgrs don't). There are smart people that I work with who are usually available to help out with problems, to get your work done.

Cons

As in other reviews, there is a lot of bureaucracy to get through. Very process oriented, which is both good and bad, but many times hinders your ability to do your work. A lot of times you don't see the reasoning/logic behind executive decisions. Budgets are so tight, it's hard to get things you need to do your job. I spend countless hours trying to fix my laptop, and because it's not my time yet, I can't get a new one that wouldn't crash as often. Morale is pretty low, and has been for a while - you work really hard, but don't really get any recognition. Sadly, it doesn't seem like there's any real effort to help that, and as such, I see a lot of turnover. At the start of my career, I was able to take classes and learn, but now, classes are all but extinct, and the few that are there are only available as online courses. It also seems that lately there's a lot of turf wars - people aren't as willing to help you or let you help with a project for fear of being replaced or something. So the focus on education and knowledge sharing has definitely lessened. The pay raises have also been pretty meager - we're told that the company has done awesome, and yet the raises are less than the year before. It doesn't even cover inflation. It's also not as easy to explore other areas within the company, if you're not sure you're headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people who work for you - there are a lot of smart, talented people whose abilities aren't being utilized, so they leave. Trust that they know what they're doing, and take their advice. Don't always focus on the bottom line. It'll pay off if you treat people right and do the right thing. Get back to innovation and take some risks to be back at the forefront of the industry. It's why I joined the company.

Showing 11 of 27,355 reviews