IBM Reviews in Lexington, KY | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Scrum Master"

Current Contractor - Product Owner, Scrum Master, PM in Lexington, KY
    Current Contractor - Product Owner, Scrum Master, PM in Lexington, KY

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home, professional peers

Cons

salary and no benefits as a contractor, but otherwise it's the same as being reg IBMer

Advice to Management

none, they are pretty darn good

2. "Use it to boost your resume"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Lexington, KY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Legacy of industry leadership, access to peers with fantastic skills and work ethic, work at an enterprise level with a focus on best practices.

Cons

Massive shift to offshore resources and Delivery Centers. New hires coming out of high school with limited background. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

You are squandering the value of the brand by chasing talented people away.

"Depressing"

Former Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in Lexington, KY

Pros

Good salaries, flexible schedules, good exposure to experienced professionals

Cons

16 hour days, jobs going to asia, training decline, no profit sharing, threat of layoffs

Advice to Management

Go back to ethical principles

"IBM Lexington. Kind of like a soggy bowl of cereal, cold and limp."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Lexington, KY

Pros

To get IBM onto your resume. Hope to work on cutting edge systems. Hope to advance your career. Lexington is a great town in which to live.

Cons

Moral in Lexington is pretty bad and that is a shame because the people still working for IBM are really good but they have been abandoned by IBM. Complete lack of over sight and lack of recognition.

Advice to Management

Take care of all of your people. Not just the ones working on Watson.

"IBM is just a shell of what a great company it used to be."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

Pros

IBM allows a somewhat flexible work schedule for some jobs.

Cons

No Job Security. Tremendous effort to offshore all jobs to lower cost countries. Pension reduced and frozen from active employees. Medical benefits taken away for retirees. Employee performance ratings decreased for no apparent reason.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and transparent about plans to move jobs overseas. Also, publicly announce layoffs including numbers and locations.

6. "Be loyal to thy self!!"

Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Oracle Database Administrator in Lexington, KY

Pros

Job experience, and great on your resume.

Cons

You are constantly worried about loosing your job due to yearly resource actions. Not having access to the pay band puts you at a disadvantage during salary negotiations. GET WHAT YOU CAN BEFORE YOU START WORKING FOR THE COMPANY.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees the true "Market Value".

7. "Good place to work if you can stand the billable hour stupidity and the outsourcing stupidity."

Current Employee - Advisory I/T Architect in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Advisory I/T Architect in Lexington, KY

Pros

The flexible work schedule, the good pay, and the people I work with are the primary things that keep me here. I could never go back to having set start and stop times for work; I have a child now and it's wonderful to be able to take time during the day to attend something at preschool or just not try to yank her out of bed before she's ready.

The pay is good, and I enjoy the work I'm doing for the most part. I think I'm one of the lucky ones in both regards. The people are nice overall, and I really enjoy working with the people on my team.

Cons

The only metric that management has is a billable hour. That leads to a lot of really stupid decisions, and they're losing good people left and right because of this. Another primary strategy is to get rid of as many US employees as possible (due to cost), so these people are not being replaced.

Nobody seems to care if an employee in a different country can do the job at all. They're cheaper, so they're hired. Just like in the US, some of these folks are bright and motivated -- we don't pay competitively in those countries, so you can bet you're training them up for some other company. Others are worthless, and they'll stay around for a long time, accomplishing nothing -- but management doesn't care, because they're not in the US.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting things done, not billing hours. Realize that people truly are your most valuable asset, and not a liability. Stop promoting people just because they've stuck it out long enough.

8. "Excellent work-life balance; low job stability."

Current Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Lexington, KY

Pros

Excellent work-life balance; many employees are able to work from home.

Cons

Global resourcing is leading to feelings of low job security for US employees.

Advice to Management

The trend toward global resourcing, combined with the lack of pay increases for most IGS employees this year, is beginning to cause valuable US employees to feel that their value to the company is not being recognized and that their jobs may not be secure. Recently, some of the best employees in my area have left IGS for positions that have greater potential for growth and recognition.

"It's not your father's IBM"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Lexington, KY

Pros

Decent and comprehensive set of benefits. Ability to interact and network with bright people. A robust infrastructure for access to employee benefit and technical information.

Cons

Annual resource actions by stealth that lop off 10% - even solid and above average performers - is demoralizing. Minuscule or no salary increases. Far too much political correctness required for advancement. I have over 20 years with IBM and moral is the lowest I have ever seen it. People are in fear of keeping their job and therefore reluctant to stretch into a new assignments for fear of being the low person on the totem pole when the next RA hits.

Advice to Management

Need to be more open and candid about changes in the business, including resource actions.

"Work-life balance can't be beat, but don't expect to be working on "cool" projects."

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Lexington, KY

Pros

Stability, work-life balance, prestige, breadth of opportunities. IBM is a well-respected company and offers excellent understanding and support of a healthy work-life balance. Working from home is rarely a problem and is popular among myself and my coworkers. As long as the work gets done, management seems to care little whether you are in the office or working from home.

Cons

Easy to get pigeon-holed and thus dissatisfied with job and unable to move on to something else. Incompetence and seeming obliviousness of upper management. "Cutting edge" Web-2.0ish projects are few and far between and are generally lacking in features and sophistication.

Advice to Management

Take more input from engineers. Make more of an effort to appeal to consumers and small businesses. Catch up with the times. I will say, however, that things seem to be improving.

Showing 10 of 39,576 reviews