IBM Reviews in Lincoln, NE | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

"Good people, good company"

Current Employee - Offering Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Offering Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work with some of the best people around. I feel challenged and encouraged on a regular basis.

Cons

The company is huge. This means you can have several divisions essentially doing the same thing without knowing about each other.

Advice to Management

Management in my division is transparent and hard working. I'm really happy to be working for you.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, resources, people before they all started quitting. Independent work. Some benefits are great! Employee portals if you can navigate.

Cons

Constant Management change. Guided employee development-you will not get any. red tape everywhere, good luck getting anything accomplished. Unhappy clients.

Advice to Management

Stick with what works and improve on that, quit changing/releasing software without proper planning and testing. Customers are leaving!

3. "Support Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, people were very supportive and helpful. Good place to start entry level work

Cons

They had really short breaks which could be improved.

4. "Good place to work for"

Former Employee - Hybrid Cloud Sales Leader in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Hybrid Cloud Sales Leader in Lincoln, NE

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a very good experience. Great co-workers and very smart people overall with over 100 years of

Cons

Incentives typically conflict with other groups which causes mixed messages to customers. A very process heavy organization. Slow to make strategic change.

Advice to Management

Don't wait til the market tells you to move into a new direction because if it does you will be too late to change. Embrace creative destruction and simplify your goals and align them directly to everyone's incentives.

5. "Elephant"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Resources, finances, team, ability to change careers

Cons

Elephant, too big, too much desire to combine and change processes

Advice to Management

Took a profitable company with an amazing culture and ruined it.

6. "Implementation Leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, benefits, pay, peers, work from home environment

Cons

poor leadership, lack of strategy

Advice to Management

Listen to your people!

"work at ibm"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Lincoln, NE

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

treat you like adults, don't micromanage

Cons

a very big company, sometimes get too many emails and don't know what is important and not

8. "Product Manager"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Lincoln, NE

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance, able to work from home, ability to work across teams.

Cons

Lotus notes, seemed to be so many hops to jump through to release products.

9. "Project Manager"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great name and history, resources available to really push projects forward if they're made a priority.

Cons

All the red tape, very impersonal, job/career growth is entirely self driven.

10. "A view from the bottom..."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The flexibility to work from wherever you have an Internet connection (and phone, if warranted) is a huge plus. The health package for an individual with no dependents is extremely competitive. IBM matches the first 5% of eligible pay contributed to your 401(k).

Cons

As many people do, I became an IBMer by way of acquisition. Having been part of IBM for nearly three years, the transition has been everything but smooth. My team once used five (5) non-IBM applications to complete the responsibilities of our role. IBM has done away with all of them, and replaced what used to be five (5) applications with eight (8) applications, none of which have been deemed more efficient compared to the former.

Since the acquisition, every C-level incumbent that existed with our legacy company has left. While I realize they likely got paid a handsome amount to leave, the general population has experienced little improvement to the overall job/career experience. IBM forces managers to (subjectively) rank their team, giving each of them a certain amount of superior rankings to assign. Therefore, if you have a small team of high-performers who all work hard to accomplish their given initiatives, the manager will still have to rank some higher than others. This affects the likelihood of any raise or advancement of those ranked lower.

The General Manager of our part of the business is regularly asking us, the general population, to do more, sell more, save nickels and dimes wherever we can. However, from the history of the past two (2) years, I have seen only a select few people improve their situation financially or career-wise, whereas the majority of people are just considered fortunate to not be laid off, or "resourced" as IBM refers to it. I have seen many talented people, who are much more valuable to the business than I am, be laid off after over a decade of dedicated service to our legacy company. The idea of "just keep doing a great job and you'll be fine" doesn't really hold true here. While my manager, my clients and my teammates all have told me that I'm great at my job, I don't feel as though I have any more job security than the next person in line. IBM employees are literally just a six-digit serial number with a salary (cost) behind it. Every year, I wonder if it will be my number that will be called, or perhaps one of my teammates who also gives a great deal of who they are to their clients, projects and team.

Despite multiple years of negative overall results to the Employee Engagement Survey that has been administered to employees by the company, there has been little (if any) change to the things that the employees have cited as areas that could be improved. If any change has been implemented, it has yet to show up in my daily routine.

I have seen IBM lay off people of great talent and influence, while promoting others that have no business being in a leadership position over a given area. They have no ability to actually manage people, but were moved into a position of influence to do so.

My direct team was comprised of six (6) people in January 2015. Today we are down to three 3). All that have departed have left the company voluntarily, some for lower-paying positions, but with better morale and quality of life. Two (2) of the remaining three (3) are also looking for new opportunities.

Though we have seen approximately 10% of our workforce laid off over the past two years, the CEO has still managed to pocket a multi-million dollar bonus each year... and this is what you call "leadership"?

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to your employees. There is more to a successful business than just Excel spreadsheets. While you may be seeming to "hit your numbers", your stock is either dropping or stagnating, only to experience a spike after the annual "resource action" that cuts a large percentage of jobs and salaries. These changes don't just affect the business negatively, but these decisions affect lives of individuals and families.

If you think that you are "leading" your employees, take a moment to stop and turn around. If there is nobody behind you, then you aren't actually leading anyone... you're just out for a walk.

Showing 12 of 33,904 reviews