IBM Reviews in Minnesota | Glassdoor

IBM Minnesota Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Minnesota

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 778 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 390 reviews)

1. "Financial analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Pros

Good benefits and friendly environment

Cons

Low raises after starting ,

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to Travel, Flexible Work Hours

Cons

Shrinking US work force, I plan to leave this year

Advice to Management

I think Management is going to hold on as long as they can for the compensation, but clearly not concerned about long time success of IBM

3. "Financial Analyst (Expense)"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job to gain valuable experience and the agile principles that corporate has implemented show promise for better management in the future. Also, great place for young professionals as there are many recent college graduates at the office. One of the best work-life balances I've seen for an entry level position as there are ample opportunities to work from home/remotely and paid time off is good for entry level.

Cons

High turnover for employees (leaving for better opportunities, not fired) and even small changes can take months to become implemented. Even in Rochester, cost of living is essentially the same as MSP but employees are not compensated as such. Not the only option but the best option to make a salary that is comparable to an FA in the MSP area is to move to New York where cost of living is much higher as well.

Advice to Management

Work on new hire training as the current training is too broad and much of it did not apply to my role.

5. "Great Experience for First Internship"

Current Intern - Cloud Managed Services in Rochester, MN
    Current Intern - Cloud Managed Services in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

-Laid Back
    -Friendly Work Environment
    -Mentor to guide you in your work
    -Great Management
    -Accepts first and second years
    -Understand you may not know everything and give you time to learn

Cons

-Work is not impactful
    -Needs more team work
    -Not too many intern social programs
    -Too little pressure

"Financial Analyst"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

Pros

Terrific resume builder, Flex Fridays, very casual dress code, nice and friendly co-workers. You will have the opportunity to learn a lot and say you did a lot because you are working with large dollar amounts with big clients/ expense depts within IBM.

Cons

Everything is gray, dark, and blue in building. Day 1 will be very important for you, as you could get placed in a good or not so good department. Roles open up all the time because the turnover is very high. You will probably get a second role around your one year mark (probably no pay increase). Work life balance varies from role to role greatly. If you are unlucky you will get one of the roles that require 65+ hours/ week, and can easily get paid the same as a person who works 30. You could get a few days of relevant role training, or a month depending on if the person training you is still there. Higher up people in COE will tell you their success stories from being in the COE. I have only heard success stories from people who left IBM, or are way older and were there before COE started, so they were already at the top.

Advice to Management

I still think IBM is a great company outside of COE, and I wish I were able to experience that. Take time to evaluate employees, give a career path and better pay.

7. "Good start to career"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM offers many resources to further career and help be successful in your role. Additionally the culture is helpful in answering questions or working through challenges.

Cons

The company is big and requires an individual to network and discover additional opportunities to further career internally

Advice to Management

I would focus more on improving and updating the building, many of the offices are out-dated

8. "Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

Pros

Flexible hours, variety of tasks and ability to frequently change job responsibilities to gain experience

Cons

Low pay, unbalanced work environment where workload is not evenly distributed across equally paid employees

"The experience outweighs the negatives."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Work life balance is great. Hardly any trouble to your own hours, as long as you get your job done.
    - Great program to train in corporate finance.
    - Great coworkers and an awesome culture.
    - Heterogeneous tasks, if you don't like what you do after 6 months you will be given new completely different tasks. The world is your oyster.
    - Executives will notice you for everything you do in certain divisions. This can be your best friend but also your worst enemy. The decision is completely yours.
    - Work hard and complain close to nothing and you will be rewarded. People notice. Don't complain about the things we already know/are aware of. Be a great team player and work hard. This will get you the reward/-s you seek.

Cons

I can list several hunders of items that are wrong with working at IBM. You can tell that the company is not flourishing any more because the spending per employee is horrendous.

- Office equipment is amongst the worst I have heard of in corporate finance. You will not get a monitor. You will not get a KEYBOARD AND HAVE TO WORK WITHOUT THE 10-key, no joke. You will not even get a mouse or a mousepad! I am appalled that they expect you to be an efficient Financial Analyst on a 14 inch laptop without a 10-key. The fact of the matter is that employees at other companies in the region laughs out loud when they hear it. That is how bad it it.
    - Old filthy offices. There are no words to describe the feeling you will have the first time you see your own office, chances are that it will be dirty and have a funky smell. However, you get used to it after a week or two.
    - The company decides to spend $350 on a health incentive to give you an Apple Watch but doe not fun proper office equipment? That itself is ridiculous.
    - Remember the old school CRT/backlight fat TVs? Not? Well at IBM you will get to know these old artifacts of the 20th century again.
    - Phones from the 1980s.
    - Office chairs from the 1990s.
    - Dirty work environment in general.
    - NO filtered water on site in Rochester, which also is ridiculous since the quality of water in the city of Rochester is bad (almost as bad as Flint, MI - if you read this later than 2016, google it.)
    - One microwave in break room/cafeteria? There are thousands of people working at the site!
    - Low pay! Just as many before me has pointed out, you will be paid significantly less than same job at a major company anywhere else in the state of Minnesota. Get your experience in and switch to a major company in Minneapolis or St. Paul and receive 20% to 50% higher salary for the same assignments.

It's Rochester, MN. You will be bored out of your mind sometimes.

Advice to Management

Provide your employees with proper office equipment and productivity will increase significantly. IBM is definitely the elephant in the world and they know it. The struggle is real and we notice.

10. "Great people, no raise, increasing workload"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM has a great people and I really enjoy the IBM learning and sharing culture.

Cons

Pretty high turnaround, more work landing at your desk not reflected om the paycheck. Very minimal to none salary increase just for top performers. I think morale of all employees is going significantly down the hill.

Advice to Management

Try to retent the more experienced employees by evaluating their work other than verbally also financially.

11. "Internal Consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant - Strategy in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant - Strategy in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- great team
    - engaging and impactful work

Cons

- see "the sausage" being made at the corporate level

Showing 238 of 27,308 reviews