IBM Reviews in New Brunswick, NJ | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

1. "SAP CONSULTANT"

Former Employee - PROJECT DETAILS in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - PROJECT DETAILS in New Brunswick, NJ

Pros

very good company to work. work from home option available for most of the employees.

Cons

nothing to say bad about this company

"Good News / Bad News"

Current Employee - Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Scope of company means you can do many things - lots of opportunity to learn new skills, if you're willing to relocate and learn.
    2) Interesting work and a variety of people and cultures
    3) Good benefits
    4) Cutting-edge technology

Cons

1) Direction at the top of the company is poor. Not much confidence in the top execs.
    2) Too much focus on cost-side of the equation, a result of poor revenues for many quarters.
    3) Shoemakers children with technology for employees - i.e., 4-year cycle for laptop replacement, not a lot of internal Mac support, poor local support for IT issues.
    4) Push for 'co-location' after years of allowing work-at-home means many people are commuting long distances to a few sites to keep their jobs.

Advice to Management

1) Apply reasonable rules for co-location - if you support a global team, does it matter where you work?
    2) Minimize the cost-cutting, especially of good people. At some point it has to stop. It's a terrible morale hit.

IBM Response

Jun 19, 2017 – VP, Communications

IBM has been a pioneer in new approaches to work as our business model changes. For a number of job roles (like developers, marketing, designers), working at home is balanced against the need for... More

"Great Company, Fast Changing,"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is a great company to work for if you are are a self starter, go getter and self motivated. There are doing some great work around cutting edge technology such as Cloud, Watson, Analytics, Big Data. It's a great place to work if you need work-life balance. W3 site is getting better, the new cloud platform for saving big files has become much easier.

Cons

IBM has this concept of Blue pages Manager who are like functional managers. I have had 4-5 Managers in the course of 5 years. Most of them were okay, and have been with the company for a long time but still didn't know the inner workings of IBM, therefore couldn't really help me with career advancement.. My feeling is that they didn't want to make an effort to understand the plumbing inside IBM. My current Manager is pretty good and makes an extra effort to get me all the info re: things I can do to advance my career within IBM,

Medical Insurance sucks. If you want a fully covered plan, it can cost you $1350 per month out of pocket. If you take the high deductible plan, and if you or your family member has to go to hospital or for procedures/Xrays/ MRIs etc. you will get numerous Medical Bills in the mail.

Advice to Management

1. Simplify the inner workings (Plumbing) of IBM
    2. It's time to make W3 search more meaningful and helpful for employees to search plethora of information inside IBM.
    3. Create additional career paths besides Technology & Management. Such as Techno Functional, Tech Management, Tech Architect Management, Tech Big Data Management etc.

4. "Senior Strategy Consultant"

Former Contractor - Chief Executive Officer in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Contractor - Chief Executive Officer in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

I understand culture , organization solutions and their strategic direction. A former CTO I know many of the senior executuves

Cons

IBM is very bureaucratic. It takes a long time to make any decisions and sometime gets caught up in not invented here syndrome. Difficult for samll companies to do business with

Advice to Management

Look for strategic partners. Make it easy for them to do business with you. Speed to market is critical as it flexibility

5. "MS"

Former Employee - Student in New Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Student in New Brunswick, NJ

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

Good environment, I left to go pursue a Masters but I plan on coming back.
    I worked with semiconductors in New Jersey.

Cons

The work can be very unexiciting. I hope to one day come back but work with a different team on a different project

Advice to Management

organize more things outside of the office to encourage team bonding and group bonding. It will increase productivity.

6. "SAP Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior SAP Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and outstanding medical benefits. Lots of projects and learning opportunities.

Cons

Deployment of resource takes lot of time and difficult to get off-boarded from the project until backup is found.

Advice to Management

Appraisal system is to be improved and there should be more opportunities for people to get promoted and have leadership roles.

7. "Work with the smartest company with the smartest people."

Current Employee - Associate Partner in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM is not an easy place to work but Im not looking for that and if you are then its not for you. Its hard work, everyday. Challenging. Big company clients with big real world problems. If you want a challenge, want to work with some of the brightest minds, and shape the future of business then IBM is right for you.

Cons

Its not easy to get promoted from within. Having done it myself though I can say its at least possible.

Advice to Management

Change the balance towards promoting from within those with the skills clients need most. Accelerate promotions as needed to retain the best talent.

8. "Excellent Organization to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Partner in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Opportunity to advance your career

Cons

Too big; It may take time to get noticed...

9. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexiblity - Balance work life - Chance of growth

Cons

Salary not compitible - Burocracy

Showing 9 of 33,906 reviews