IBM Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

1,953 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 799 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 398 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

"Nobody trusts anyone anymore"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, get to meet some amazing people. There are still a LOT of smart people at IBM

Cons

No trust from management and colleagues.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. Show them that you trust them.

3. "IBM provides amazing opportunities and great teams to work with"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBMers, opportunities to learn, great stuff to work on

Cons

salaries, bonuses need lots of work. Senior management focuses on short term

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on short term only and stop looking for failures and instead celebrate success. There is too much nitpicking and not enough recognition of great work

5. "Product Line Manager"

Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Somers, NY
    Former Employee - Product Line Manager in Somers, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great organizational structure.Great talent.Structured decision making.

Cons

Slow for innovation (understandably).Less face to face interactions.

Advice to Management

Connect with the new younger work force.

6. "Good exp"

Current Employee - MDMUpgrade in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - MDMUpgrade in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is good company that work with many exploration scope in projects

Cons

Salary wise to think ,As it is more process oriented

7. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Has large variety of projects and many different sub cultures within company.

Cons

Their internal tech is outdated, though they're slowly catching back up.

"Embracing change in the enterprise"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Transformation and Operations in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

• IBMers: working with incredibly talented people from all around the world.
    • IBM's Values.
    • Work-life balance - flexibility.
    • Great place to learn and grow – skills, experiences, build relationships.
    • You are a part of something meaningful; being in service of human potential and progress (in tech, business and society).

Cons

Cons:
    • IBM has been built on foundational principle of continuous reinvention, if you are uncomfortable with change, it is probably not be the right place for you.
    • In a company as big as IBM, if you don't invest time in building your own skills and capabilities you may fall behind or get stuck.

Advice to Management

• Engage with middle managers in a personal way, enable them connect with strategy and their teams - remove roadblocks.
    • No matter what band/level you are, always be an aggressive learner and develop new leadership capabilities.
    • Get to know your employees better, spend time with them. "Show personal interest" is one of IBM's nine 'Practices' - seems simple but we need to do it more.
    • Give and ask for feedback at all levels of your organization.

"Constantly Learning and Growing My Skills"

Current Employee - Vice President in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has great, smart people and very meaningful work. IBM as a corporation wants to change the world, and because of that takes on bold challenges. There is an amazing depth of skills across the company, and for self-starters, you can constantly learn about the new technologies and capabilities that IBM has to offer.

Cons

Because the size is big, and it is hard to turn a big ship, it can be a difficult place to Transform quickly. The workload can be significant, so a person needs to manage his or her work/life balance effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating and sharing the 'why' of what we are here to do as a company.
    Take care of our greatest resources - our people.

"IBM CDO Business Integration- Exciting Place to Work"

Current Employee - Vice President, Business Integration; GCDO in North Castle, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Work with some of the smartest, most motivated people in the world
    - Exciting work designing, stress testing and implementing world class, enterprise data platform
    - Learning opportunities are endless, Great place to learn/grow.
    - Truly global company - no better place to learn International business

Cons

- Need to be comfortable with very fast pace of change needed to drive IBM transformation.
    - Transformation also requires a lot of "dot connecting" - need to be able to connect disparate information and see unique patterns/issues to deliver best results - not everyone comfortable with being able to do this.

Advice to Management

- Focus on enabling, coaching, guiding and empowering teams to be successful
    - Instill "Get things done" culture in teams
    - Focus on individuals who work for you and groom them to be future IBM leaders.

"Great company to start a professional career"

Current Employee - Brand Manager Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Brand Manager Consultant in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is a great company where you will work on cool projects and be exposed to great opportunities, like measuring social sentiment on an op-ed and reporting it directly to the CEO, mining data for insights about how we can become a better company, and guiding media around the US Open.

I get to work with amazing colleagues. In a given day I may talk to a data scientist, partner with an executive communications professional, connect with technologists working on Open Source, send a note to newly appointed IBM managers, talk to external engagement experts, and partner with our recruiting team – and that’s just one day.

Internships: they offer real work, not mundane tasks and you can work your way into a paid position

A final pro: High visibility with senior executives.

Cons

Onboarding: It is hard to get noticed by IBM coming from a small school

Size: You will be put into many situations in which you are not comfortable – it can be difficult to embrace those moments because of how big and complex IBM can be

Advice to Management

Give and receive feedback
    Take a risk – on people and with work
    Have fun and be positive

Showing 1,953 of 28,044 reviews