IBM Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

2,049 Employee Reviews

Cons

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

"Good News / Bad News"

Current Employee - Manager in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1) Scope of company means you can do many things - lots of opportunity to learn new skills, if you're willing to relocate and learn.
    2) Interesting work and a variety of people and cultures
    3) Good benefits
    4) Cutting-edge technology

Cons

1) Direction at the top of the company is poor. Not much confidence in the top execs.
    2) Too much focus on cost-side of the equation, a result of poor revenues for many quarters.
    3) Shoemakers children with technology for employees - i.e., 4-year cycle for laptop replacement, not a lot of internal Mac support, poor local support for IT issues.
    4) Push for 'co-location' after years of allowing work-at-home means many people are commuting long distances to a few sites to keep their jobs.

Advice to Management

1) Apply reasonable rules for co-location - if you support a global team, does it matter where you work?
    2) Minimize the cost-cutting, especially of good people. At some point it has to stop. It's a terrible morale hit.

3. "IBM Summit Program 2016 Client Representative"

Former Intern - Client Representative in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Client Representative in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

As a Summit Intern, you get to meet people that are very high up in IBM, and build a solid network of both interns and executives.

Cons

There was a little too much paperwork, which is understandable because it is a huge company.

5. "Aem Developer"

Current Employee - AEM Developer in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - AEM Developer in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

• Made me Proficient in CQ5 template development, Component Development, Architecture, Administration and installation of Author and Publish instances, Workflow components in CQ5. X.

Cons

So far nothing everything went well till this day
    thank you my employer for making everything flexible for me

Advice to Management

everything is perfect and there is not even a black spot to mention about anything as perfect always

6. "Good Company if you can navigate"

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM is a wonderful company, they have generous salaries, good self-directed training, and a good corporate culture. Their Summit Program is quite nice and I graduated from it with a good sense of sales.

Cons

Company is too big to get out of it's own way sometimes. I was disappointed in the lack of support I got in sales from senior members of my team when I asked for help, even though I offered to assist them with their grunt work. They move their sales force around too frequently for them to get traction with their accounts. After the initial training reps need to self-direct their training and it can be monotonous.

Advice to Management

Stop shifting sales accounts every half. Enable your new sales reps with better mentorship.

7. "Not your grandfather's IBM!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible innovation, smart and passionate people, enormous breadth of resources. IBM is truly reinventing itself from the inside out and there was never a more exciting time to be here than right now! IBM's advancements in cognitive computing is head spinning and valuable solutions are being packaged together to solve problems in new ways. No matter what your interest, you are sure find a good fit in one of the greatest market leaders.

Cons

This is a big organization so you need patience to navigate internal policies, procedures, and sometimes, red tape.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in seller development and comp plans that drive over-achievement.

"Summit Program"

Current Employee - Summit Client Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summit Client Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and mentorship program. Ability to work from home.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by brilliant IBMers
    You get to contribute to the work IBM does to solve the biggest problems for business and society
    Lots of opportunity to learn new skills
    Lots of opportunities to move across functions and business units
    Co-location has brought people together again under one roof and the new atmosphere is fun (I worked at home for 10+ years before coming back to the office)

Cons

The matrix that is IBM, it is a big place and takes some getting used to
    Too many old burdensome processes remain, mostly coming out of HR
    If you don't like to continuously network and learn/take on new things you could get left behind

Advice to Management

Focus on IBMers more, and not by pushing more information at us. We have more than enough learning available, come up with something else. Rethink how we are rewarded. Rethink the little things that could make a big difference in how we feel about our work and Company.

10. "Data Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good work & life balance .

Cons

I did not find any cons.

11. "Great company to grow professional skills"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Offering Learning in a plethora of topics
    Fosters mentoring
    Diversity

Cons

Road blocks to transition between job functions
    Evaluation process is bias and debilitating
    Promotion of unprepared people managers

Advice to Management

Promote people managers that have unequivocally demonstrated the required skills and cultural & organizational readiness.

Showing 2,049 of 29,678 reviews