IBM Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty

2,221 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

2. "Summer internship at Poughkeepsie"

Former Intern - Hardware Development Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Intern - Hardware Development Engineer in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work culture and relative ease in finding extra projects to work on. There are also some nice events for employees.

Cons

The buildings are a little old but that isn't really a problem. There was some difficulty in getting pay set up.

3. "Financial Analyst Co-op"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst Co-Op in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst Co-Op in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Felt fully immersed in the IBM culture and day-to-day activities even though it was only a Co-op and not a full-time position

Cons

Armonk is not the ideal place to work

4. "Great people, but lots of bureaucracy"

Former Intern - Digital and Performance Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Digital and Performance Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, you are surrounded by some of the most genuinely kind, caring people, that make you want to get to know them outside of work. They provide decent work/life balance, and the onboarding/orientation process was good. Generally, the internship program was organized.

Cons

One full-time employee was harassing and flirting with female interns, which made the experience uncomfortable for some. The intern work that we were doing felt like meaningless work, and the senior management kept trying to explain what they did, but none of us really understood. The management felt directionless.

Advice to Management

More meaningful internship projects. Have a clearer focus for the marketing department.

"Great people and great company"

Current Employee - Internal Consultant in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Internal Consultant in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are overall talented, my work is extremely challenging and the work life balance is terrific. In addition to the actual work, I really appreciate limited travel, work from home opportunities and 6+ weeks of paternity leave. The opportunity to change jobs within IBM is also something that excites me. The diversity in the products and services IBM brings to market provides numerous opportunities to change roles, learn new skills and grow my career.

Cons

Size and complexity of organization can sometimes slow things down.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in employee skills and training, increase performance bonuses to increase retention of top talent.

6. "Great job except for pay"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home + Travel.
    Relaxed work lifestyle.

Cons

Low Pay.
    Career is dependent on sales doing their job.

7. "Associate Partner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Exciting to be part of 105 old company that is once again transforming to "Be Essential" to our clients and delivering new innovations (e.g. Watson, Blockchain) to the market. Our challenges remaining at the top of a fast-paced industry ensure there are multiple opportunities to contribute and grow.
    * IBM invests heavily in professional development
    * IBM is a 'top 5' management company (as recognized by the Drucker Institute) and is a place for leaders
    * IBM has some of the best talent I have worked with in my 20+ year career
    * IBM's breadth and global reach provide unique career opportunities across Consulting, Offering Management, internal Operations- whatever passion you want to pursue
    * IBM has a commitment to service and giving back to its communities in a meaningful way
    * IBM values diversity
    * One of the best 401(k) programs and good benefits package

Cons

* Like any organization of IBM's scope and size, you will run into fiefdoms and/or people that are slower to change

8. "Cloud Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Principal Cloud Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Cloud Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products, training, some of the people

Cons

Process, and various sales teams for specific products do not work together

Advice to Management

They would not listen

9. "Once a giant"

Former Contractor - Deployment Engineer in Paterson, NJ
    Former Contractor - Deployment Engineer in Paterson, NJ

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM can offer you tons of experience and knowledge

Cons

Long hours, little gratitude, management with little experience aside from being a paper pusher. No testing of products before

Advice to Management

Start showing that you care, employees are treated more like cattle, then human beings!

10. "maintaining the accounts and doing the entries"

Former Intern - Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

respectable stipend is given and the atmosphere is eccentric to work.

Cons

you are not sure about increment time periods.

Advice to Management

cooperate with employees in a good manner.

Showing 2,221 of 34,985 reviews