IBM Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty

2,199 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

2. "Incredible company incredible people"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a strong career path for technical people. You can get a mentor who really cares about you and help you to plan your career over the next 10 years.
    IBM really cares about Making it easy for people with diverse backgrounds to work together without discrimination. I’m not going to say that women have it perfect out here, but management makes an active effort to promote women and this creates an atmosphere which is more conducive to collaboration than any I have seen elsewhere. Discrimination against Asians is nonexistent, or at least not significant enough for me to detect.
    People will go out of their way to help you.
    There is a wealth of opportunities to progress at any time. You need to ensure that you are aligned with the company goals rather than just what your manager is asking you to do.

Cons

The biggest problem at working at IBM is to take an idea and to have world-class impact. It’s relatively easy to have any impact at the scale off one customer or even one line of business but to create a product that’s going to revolutionize the world is difficult.

Advice to Management

There is a reservoir of goodwill towards IBM in the world. Use it.

3. "Culture that aims to continually improve, but values work-life balance."

Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constantly transforming, the company culture inspires in its individuals the desire to transform and improve. Also, work-life balance is great, especially for senior managing consultant level and below. 40-45 hour work weeks common. People care about people. Latest extension from 6 to 12 weeks for paternity leave demonstrates a continued recognition of the balance that people crave.

Cons

typical downsides of transformation. There is a serious undercurrent of tried and true employees who are not embracing a new way, but upper management is on the side of pushing the boundaries - and that side will win out eventually.

Advice to Management

Push even more swiftly to change this company to meet what the market wants.

4. "Great Flexibility"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Armonk, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours and options

Cons

Long hours expected, bonus is not competitive

Advice to Management

Reward and retain employees

5. "Prof. gui"

Current Employee - Researcher in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Researcher in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

processing bioinformation, frmi image processing

Cons

New York, signal processing, IT, data analsys.

Advice to Management

professor or research

6. "Marketing Intern"

Former Employee - Intern Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

IBM in New York is perhaps one of the best internship experiences you want. It's pretty interesting to witness a company as it transforms.

Cons

HQ is in Armonk, especially for millennials.

7. "Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Promotion ongoing with stock options

Cons

N/A as of time of writing

Advice to Management

None

"It depends."

Current Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM has some smart people and good opportunities that will bolster your resume. Good projects are extremely interesting and will have you at the forefront of innovation.

Cons

Life is extremely variable. It is tough to schedule things, know what your hours will be like, or even know what projects will be available and what skills you will build down the road. Oftentimes, your experience depends on luck. Unfortunately, many people are caught in bad situations and find it very difficult to get out.

Advice to Management

Management needs to nurture talent better

"What used to be can be again"

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager, Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Access to the most incredible minds. Resources that are built in to the giant machine. Being a part of something great. Flexibility in finding lateral move jobs.

Cons

You can get lost in the sauce. Employee upward growth potential is limited once you get 'up there' at least in marketing. They've been hiring a lot of external agency experienced resources but they don't know anything about how to be and embrace being an IBMer. The 'new' blood is taking the life out of the passionate IBMers who would give their left leg for the success of the company. Instead marketers are being shelved or over looked. Raises are infinitesimal.

Advice to Management

A company rises based on the performance and commitment to its people. Empower, support and reward them and stockholders will be rewarded. You can't make billions of dollars and reward people 1% raises and expect a significant return on that investment. You can't outsource institutional intelligence, savor it, nurture it, reward it.

10. "The best socially-responsible tech enterprise"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great parental leave program: IBM helps new moms and dads take time off to take care of their extended family in addition to extra benefits/services for working moms.
    Professional growth: tons of opportunity to interact w/ smart people, work on the latest technology trends, and grow into different roles within the organization

Cons

I am sure there are some areas for improvements as with any large organization; but overall great.

Showing 2,199 of 33,898 reviews