IBM Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 838 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 414 reviews)

1. "IBM Summit Program 2016 Client Representative"

Former Intern - Client Representative in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Client Representative in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

As a Summit Intern, you get to meet people that are very high up in IBM, and build a solid network of both interns and executives.

Cons

There was a little too much paperwork, which is understandable because it is a huge company.

2. "Good Company if you can navigate"

Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Named Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM is a wonderful company, they have generous salaries, good self-directed training, and a good corporate culture. Their Summit Program is quite nice and I graduated from it with a good sense of sales.

Cons

Company is too big to get out of it's own way sometimes. I was disappointed in the lack of support I got in sales from senior members of my team when I asked for help, even though I offered to assist them with their grunt work. They move their sales force around too frequently for them to get traction with their accounts. After the initial training reps need to self-direct their training and it can be monotonous.

Advice to Management

Stop shifting sales accounts every half. Enable your new sales reps with better mentorship.

3. "Not your grandfather's IBM!"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible innovation, smart and passionate people, enormous breadth of resources. IBM is truly reinventing itself from the inside out and there was never a more exciting time to be here than right now! IBM's advancements in cognitive computing is head spinning and valuable solutions are being packaged together to solve problems in new ways. No matter what your interest, you are sure find a good fit in one of the greatest market leaders.

Cons

This is a big organization so you need patience to navigate internal policies, procedures, and sometimes, red tape.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in seller development and comp plans that drive over-achievement.

"Summit Program"

Current Employee - Summit Client Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summit Client Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and mentorship program. Ability to work from home.

Cons

None that I can think of.

6. "An Iconic Company Still"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great technology, great impact

Cons

Still a lot of work to do to simplify internal decision making and processes

Advice to Management

Be even bolder in driving change

IBM Response

May 12, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for writing a review. We agree that IBMers, and our technology, are great. Currently, we're working on simplifying our processes through an initiative called the GetSimple Exchange.

7. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, work-life balance is really important. The company really cares about your professional development plan

Cons

I cannot think about any relevant cons

IBM Response

May 16, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's great to see that you mention we have a great work environment. We're committed to helping our employees develop and grow their professional ... More

"Clueless Layoffs cut the core from the company"

Current Employee - Cloud in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cloud in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very sharp people all around. Many long term employees love the place. That speaks volumes. But the downside is that there is little outside or real world experience

Cons

Heavily weighted toward a sales culture with emphasis on selling SKU's over a single IBM product mix. Constant pressure on sales pipeline creates an environment of near hysteria from senior leadership on down. Since every quarterly budget is unrealistic, goals are not met and slash and burn RA (aka Layoff) cuts often key people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Many key people - often with unique skills developed at great expense or hired at even greater expense are let go even as IBM constantly lists offers for new employees. There is an overall sense that they are getting rid of older, more expensive employees. The RA cuts are removing key skills. IBM ability to deliver services is impacted because of this. At the same time, the crown jewels of Research at IBM has been decimated. The result is a muddled mix of product offerings (blame product management) and presentation (blame marketing) with often woefully subpar product. IBM Cloud is close to embarrassing. A shame since everything in the company really should make it a world leader.

Advice to Management

Fire the marketing people. Fire product managers. Stop managing the company on a quarter by quarter sales pipeline. develop products based on an understanding of what the market really wants and not based on the enterprise experience and knowledge of (very smart IBM'ers) who have no idea how the real world really works or even why key IBM clients are running to Amazon. Its a crying shame to see so much greatness wasted.

9. "Great people and great place to develop skills but too large and disorganized"

Current Employee - Digital Transformation Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Transformation Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Center of top technology projects, great supportive workforce, senior leadership is very accessible to younger consultants, great hours (never worked past 7PM, usually 9-5), great worklife balance

Cons

too large and take too long to make change. New leadership constantly comes and and changes everything with new acronyms. Few quality projects for young consultants.

"IBM is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Global Program Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Program Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Empowerment, flexibility, value driven, great colleagues, challenging roles

Cons

in non-sales roles, compensation is ok

Advice to Management

Stop cutting experienced people

"Difficult Company"

Current Employee - Global Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Global Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary options, ability to travel, very flexible in terms of working from home / being mobile

Cons

Difficult culture, continual cutbacks and people being fired, everyone is looking out for himself, no work/life balance, incredibly negative company

Advice to Management

No longer feels like IBM cares or invests in its employees anymore - at some point a good salary is no longer enough. I'd rather be paid less but work somewhere with a better more positive culture.

Showing 780 of 29,695 reviews