IBM Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

IBM New York Reviews

Updated March 29, 2017

New York, NY

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 799 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 398 reviews)

1. "Great start to a career, but impersonal"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant, Global Business Services, IX Digital in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great start to a career, but impersonal
    Great compensation and benefits
    Opportunities to explore different career paths and industries if you're not sure exactly what you want to do
    Work with really smart, interesting people
    Constantly changing clients/projects/locations
    Challenging roles you would not get hired for specifically- plenty of room to grow
    To me there doesn't seem to be a glass ceiling at IBM. I worked hard, was often recognized for my work, and found really interesting and challenging roles. The better you do, the more responsibility you are given.
    As a first job out of college, if you're not sure exactly what you want to do and don't mind traveling 4 days/week, this is the perfect job.

Cons

If you are a consultant, you do not have control over where you are working geographically- at any time you could be placed on a project anywhere for any period of time. This is probably true of any consulting company.

Also if you are a consultant, you likely will not have control over the roles you take in the organization. If a team needs a gap to be filled, you will have to step in even if it's not in the industry you would like or where you want to be.

One of my largest qualms with working at IBM was that there is no emphasis on manager relationships. You will more than likely not know and not often interact with your manager. This is no fault of theirs-- they have full time jobs, are most often not on the same project or client as you, and are not based in your city. I have not met any of the (many) managers I've had through re-orgs, and infrequently interacted with them. Managers are not rewarded for working with their managees and not motivated to do so.

The culture is fast-paced and demanding. I realized quickly that I did not want to become senior at IBM, as the expectation is that you will always be available and ready to work (weekends, late nights, etc.) This is how people earn respect at IBM.

I've had several instances in which older men have made unwanted advances toward me. With a company as large as IBM, I can see how this could happen. I was able to quickly deal with these scenarios.

Advice to Management

Place emphasis on manager relationships, fostering career growth for individual employees, etc.
    Place emphasis on culture and work life balance.

2. "Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent work/life balance, pretty good vacation time if you can take it

Cons

The management staff are not engaged with employees, they only get engaged when something is wrong.

3. "Anonymous"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Had an overall good experience consulting there.

Cons

Too much politics and the management needs to be more transparent.

5. "Lots of very smart people!"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary and benefits. If you are in an innovative group it really matters and can change your experience. Lots of really smart people

Cons

We get in our own way with extra processes and bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Make doing things easier!

IBM Response

Mar 3, 2017 – Program Consultant - IBMer Engagement

Thank you for writing a review. We agree that IBM is a great company with smart people and innovative teams. We are working to simplify our processes through an initiative called the GetSimple ... More

"unsatisfying culture"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

large company involved with many aspects of the IT industry. Can find something that interests you. 401k match and medical benefits.

Cons

No interest in the well being of employees nor in providing basic support to ensure their success and efficiency. Layoffs every year and recently more often with seemingly no management planning beyond the current quarter. Purchases innovative new products and companies instead of investing internally. Strategy constantly shifting and a moving target.

Advice to Management

Stop the layoffs and movement of jobs from one city and country to another. Employees feel no sense of ownership as a result. Mostly unmotivated employees with quality of work suffering.

7. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM offers clients depth of industry expertise, technical resources and a very broad set of product and service offerings.

Cons

Too many software acquisitions causing integration issues and blurred the lines of existing solutions. Too many lay-offs (RA's).

Advice to Management

Too many good people get RA'ed for no good reason. Rethink how you conduct lay-offs.

8. "Summer Research Intern"

Former Intern - Research Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Research Intern in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun team. Worked on an interesting problem. Submitted a paper after summer. They take care of accommodation and commute to and fro from Yorktown Heights. There are periodic networking events. You are encouraged to network and have lunch with potential teams to explore opportunities.

Cons

My experience was positive. I did not have any challenges.

"Working at IBM in turbulent times"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great technology and a world class brand name make selling at IBM easier as far as clients at least being able to talk to you. Innovative technologies like Watson, Quantum computing and BlockChain keep clients interested in talking with you

Cons

IBM feels like an organization that tries to compete with start-ups, but with the administrative and middle management overhead of working for a government agency. Changes at a macro scale, affecting where people work, what territory they support and who their manager is, seem to change at least every 6 months, making it difficult to get settled with clients and make good commissions.

Advice to Management

Pare down the middle management bloat and concentrate far more on the people who touch the clients

"senior It specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

decent pick of projects, no micro management, emphasis on education and keeping up with technology, good benefits but have declined in recent years

Cons

lousy bonuses, even with top performers its around 2% bonus, overall compensation package(salary, bonus, 401k match) has declined in recent years. missing wall streets expectations for several years now

11. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can be fun work with a smart and motivated team. IBM can pay well, has a strong brand name, and is finding success in its transition to cloud, cognitive, etc.

Cons

There are a lot of company restructures, your jobs never safe, and it's possible to get put in a place that you're not as interested in.

Advice to Management

too much bureaucracy, but honestly you'll find that at a lot of big and small companies. Try to keep an entrepreneurial spirit in your workplace.

IBM Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Program Consultant - IBMer Engagement

Thank you for writing a review. It's great that you've had the chance to work with fun, smart, and motivated IBMers. We're focused on creating an environment where IBMers can work on projects they're ... More

Showing 745 of 28,201 reviews