IBM Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated August 22, 2017

New York, NY

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 880 reviews)

• Working long hours is pretty typical (in 429 reviews)

"Old Big Blue She Ain't What She Used To Be"

Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great experience for college or grad school hires; smart, team-oriented colleagues; some really interesting projects at the leading edge of technology; very committed to diversity in the workforce (other than age); excellent benefits although becoming less excellent; committed to highest level of ethical behavior in the market and with customers; good name to have on resume; work at home when not on site helps with balance, but that's changing.

Cons

20 consecutive quarters of revenue decline has caused panic and highly reactive management behaviors; large "job actions" (layoffs) every quarter that used to be solidly about losing low performers but last four events even top tier performers are being let go; so much turnover in customer facing roles that its hard to know who you work with, several SW sales roles on an account have churned twice a year for three years; committed to paying just below average; difficult to get through interview and hiring process; quarterly focus now monthly focus; laid off employees are now declared off limits for re-hiring or contracting in some roles; bringing in lots of outsiders with a very transactional view of the world, bad in a relationship business; gloom and fear have driven morale down.

Advice to Management

Panic is not a strategy, and what you do speaks way louder than what you say. Several major acquisitions (like cloud) only made sense if seen through eyes of big IT outsourcing, so major misses. Strategy is as much about what you don't do as what you do.

"Summit Program"

Current Employee - Summit Client Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summit Client Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training and mentorship program. Ability to work from home.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Great company, until your time comes."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. benefits, technology innovation, free entry to NYC Museums, travel Summit was my entry.

Cons

20 consecutive quarters of revenue declines (April 2017), thus every January expect silent re-organizations , managers just play golf and drink and become victim of these re-organizations as well.

Advice to Management

Reduce headcount, or sell something!

"IBM Review"

Current Employee - Senior Watson Health Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Watson Health Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Many different industries and jobs to get exposed to
    - Many people to network with
    - Growth potential
    - Easy to get by with minimal effort

Cons

- Its a large company and you won't feel appreciated, instead more like a number
    - You might get on a long term project that you are not passionate about and can become stuck
    - Its annoying that you have to quit and come back to make what you want.

Advice to Management

- Don't sell deals that you can't deliver...I've been part of far too many projects that fail because management sold something, or promised something that was unattainable.

"Great if you like structured environments"

Former Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Global breadth.
    Many people who have been there a long time.
    Folks are generally kind and moral.

Cons

Terrible place for a young outperformer... system not made for it
    My boss literally called me a "hero" when I left because he knew I was being treated unfairly.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to incentivize excellence.

"Protect yourself"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers, access to partners, hugeness of company I. E. Industry power

Cons

Management, pressure from sales guys, pay sucks, no bench time, no training, no compassion for employees

Advice to Management

Get rid of GR (CEO), look at the top 10 best places to work list, then look at the top 10 revenue companies... Same companies, treat your employees better and they will make you money, the stats prove it... GR (CEO) can't raise earnings by making products, hell she can't even do it by selling off the company and firing employees. Quit treating employees bad, it doesn't do any good for the company as a whole.

7. "An Iconic Company Still"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great technology, great impact

Cons

Still a lot of work to do to simplify internal decision making and processes

Advice to Management

Be even bolder in driving change

IBM Response

May 12, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for writing a review. We agree that IBMers, and our technology, are great. Currently, we're working on simplifying our processes through an initiative called the GetSimple Exchange.

8. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment, work-life balance is really important. The company really cares about your professional development plan

Cons

I cannot think about any relevant cons

IBM Response

May 16, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It's great to see that you mention we have a great work environment. We're committed to helping our employees develop and grow their professional... More

"Clueless Layoffs cut the core from the company"

Current Employee - Cloud in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Cloud in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very sharp people all around. Many long term employees love the place. That speaks volumes. But the downside is that there is little outside or real world experience

Cons

Heavily weighted toward a sales culture with emphasis on selling SKU's over a single IBM product mix. Constant pressure on sales pipeline creates an environment of near hysteria from senior leadership on down. Since every quarterly budget is unrealistic, goals are not met and slash and burn RA (aka Layoff) cuts often key people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Many key people - often with unique skills developed at great expense or hired at even greater expense are let go even as IBM constantly lists offers for new employees. There is an overall sense that they are getting rid of older, more expensive employees. The RA cuts are removing key skills. IBM ability to deliver services is impacted because of this. At the same time, the crown jewels of Research at IBM has been decimated. The result is a muddled mix of product offerings (blame product management) and presentation (blame marketing) with often woefully subpar product. IBM Cloud is close to embarrassing. A shame since everything in the company really should make it a world leader.

Advice to Management

Fire the marketing people. Fire product managers. Stop managing the company on a quarter by quarter sales pipeline. develop products based on an understanding of what the market really wants and not based on the enterprise experience and knowledge of (very smart IBM'ers) who have no idea how the real world really works or even why key IBM clients are running to Amazon. Its a crying shame to see so much greatness wasted.

10. "Great people and great place to develop skills but too large and disorganized"

Current Employee - Digital Transformation Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Transformation Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Center of top technology projects, great supportive workforce, senior leadership is very accessible to younger consultants, great hours (never worked past 7PM, usually 9-5), great worklife balance

Cons

too large and take too long to make change. New leadership constantly comes and and changes everything with new acronyms. Few quality projects for young consultants.

Showing 822 of 31,727 reviews