IBM Reviews in North Carolina | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 936 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 446 reviews)

1. "Executive"

Current Employee - Executive in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Executive in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Global company with growth opportunity

Cons

Multiple business units without a unified client experience

Advice to Management

Increase your pay scale for new employees

"Great people"

Former Employee - Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, plenty of resouces.

Cons

Stuck in a rut with many old bureaucratic overheads that causes delays and impacts costs not budgeted for beforehand.

Advice to Management

Be honest and transparent upfront cause by now everyone's able to see though the dishonesty imposed from the top down.

3. "IBM not what it used to be"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Local to where I live

Cons

.Not what it used to be

Advice to Management

4. "Principles are good to have but hard to do"

Current Employee - Procurement Professional in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Procurement Professional in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is a good company with great history. The culture of being an IBMer is great where people are willing to help you when you need it. The size of the company allows for growth and the ability to move into different fields if that interests you. It is also a global company that allows you to work with people from around the world and learn how to work together despite our differences.

Cons

The challenge of having an amazing history is that you have to push hard to not rely on it. Too many times this company relies on the greatness of its past to make an excuse of not taking action in the present. The market changes and IBM must change with it.

Advice to Management

Execute on the values and strategies of our company. Don't allow anyone at any level continue to do business as usual. We all must be open to adapt and change in order for us to excel in the future.

5. "IBM 2017"

Current Employee - IT Senior Specialist in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - IT Senior Specialist in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are so many different jobs at IBM, if you don't like the one you have, find another. The pay and benefits are generally good.

Cons

The company is in many ways too big and unchangeable though Ginny is trying. You feel like number at times.

6. "Good Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Individual project, many intern events, and very agile environment

Cons

No relocation assistance, not enough pay for relocating to another state for the role.

7. "IBM's expanded Parental leave program"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBMers hands down. I have always been amazed to find such bright, intelligent and resourceful people to work with.
    There were a lot of eyes on IBM having had a good quarter and the first big news that came out was regarding the expanded parental leave program. In the past I would have expected IBM to reinvest in research or growing a business line; this time however the first move was on how IBM reinvested in the workforce, it's employees.
    IBM recently expanded its parental leave program to 12 weeks, allowing parents (both moms and dads) to care for and share in the joys of the early childhood days.
    IBM also has a lot of diversity in job types that you can choose from and learn about a different part of the business allowing you the career options to innovate and learn; take it where you'd like to.

Cons

Client facing roles involve a lot of travel and sometimes feel isolated from the DNA of IBM, you have to make a conscious choice to stay connected and networked within IBM. I learnt about the expanded parental leave program through a blog post; not top down from management.

Advice to Management

Be better advocates for your employees and build stronger teams.

8. "Great experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

caring management team, friendly co-workers

Cons

you will do well if you ask questions, but you have to be self-motivated enough to ask them

9. "Variety of opportunities & Amazing colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT people who are smart and hardworking but fun and have good values. Interesting work and the opportunity to have a variety of different roles, growing your expertise in different areas, throughout a single career. Lots of opportunity to travel and learn new things. Impressive family policies including a NEW parental leave program that doubles from 6 to 12 weeks and includes fathers, partners, and adoptive parents. (For birth moms, this is in addition to the typical 6-8 weeks of paid maternity leave – so you can take up to 20 weeks paid.)

I started at IBM when I was fresh out of business school and I have been here for almost 17 years. My life has changed drastically from the time I was hired - when I was a single woman with a dog - to now, as a mom with 2 kids. IBM has supported me through all of these transitions, allowing me to go on an international assignment for 2 years to be with my English then finance/ now husband, take leave of absence to stay home with both of my children until they were 1 year old and to work part time when they were small . Throughout these transitions I have been able to grow my skill set and expertise so that now that my children are a bit older I am able to have a high profile leadership role. I could not have asked for a better company to work for or partner with for the past 17 years.

Cons

IBM is big - which is a strength, because of the number of opportunities it offers, but for the wrong kind of person it can be overwhelming. People who need a lot of hand holding have a hard time here. People who can figure things out and get things done thrive and enjoy a lot of challenges, as well as the opportunity to travel and meet some really great people from all over the world.

Senior management is mostly good, but can be somewhat out of touch with what is really happening on the ground. I have been very impressed, though, with most of the new marketing leadership that have come on board in the past 12-18 months. For the most part I have seen good vision and competitive spirit, which is what we need.

Advice to Management

I am lucky to work for a management team who strives to keep things fun while maintaining a laser like focus on the business, and I see other managers who are not able to do this. It can be sad for the teams who work for these managers.

10. "Senior HR Partner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility, great benefits (including new expanded parental leave), incredible opportunity to learn and grow, including changing careers, and outstanding and committed colleagues

Cons

very high workload and expectations

Showing 823 of 34,466 reviews