IBM Patent Attorney Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "At times work life balance gets challenging" (in 1112 reviews)

• "Low Salary growth in comparison" (in 537 reviews)

1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Patent Attorney
    Current Employee - Patent Attorney

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Very relaxed -- low stress

Cons

Pay is below market level

2. "Bring my whole self to work and be respected"

Current Employee - Patent Attorney in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Patent Attorney in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM is my current employer and probably will be the last one. Being a member of LGBT+ community in China, one has to face in everyday life struggles both in workplace and in personal life. However, the inclusive environment in IBM ease my pain in workplace as in IBM, I can bring my whole self to workplace as IBM acknowledges and respects differences. One is only evaluated for his/her abilities, not his/her race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. I am based in Beijing, China which LGBT+ culture is OK, however back in 2011, IBM China has already provided exactly the same benefits to LGBT+ employees which was the first. Furthermore, IBM also provides targeted LGBT+ leadership development opportunities which not only you can be yourself, but advance your career. The well-established Business Resource Groups (BRGs) also provide employees network where one could reach others easily and grow together. IBM's strong position in LGBT+ diversity and inclusion is always an inspiration for those who wants to have a career rather than a job, even in the rather conservative oriental cultures.

Cons

The first few years before I could be myself and hid in the closet, after I came out as an openly gay, I could bring my whole self to workplace, I am now in a better place that I could fully contribute myself.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the great D&I, as always been there.