IBM Reviews in Perth, Australia | Glassdoor

IBM Perth Reviews

Perth, Australia Area (Australia)

2.6
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 896 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 432 reviews)

1. "It's a good place to learn, but is big and unweildy"

Current Employee - Graduate Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Graduate Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get exposed to big business very early, and I am asked to take on tasks as a graduate that higher level employees would usually take on

Cons

The work is quite boring unless you can get into the cool parts of the company, and there isn't much interesting work in Perth.

Advice to Management

When there is interesting work in Perth, tap the local talent first before flying people in from the Eastern States

2. "unfair manager"

Former Freelancer - Contractor in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Freelancer - Contractor in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

some good people i've worked with.

Cons

a couple of bad project managers who sit on high horses

Advice to Management

managers need to get off their high horses and understand tech competencies by knowing the people better and understanding their tech-ie language. the propensity of using undergrads more than the competent experts makes for unmaintanable code that cost more for both the client and ibm in the longer term.

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Good ... well that's what the IBM company use to be and for those of us who have been here a while (10 years plus), it's that memory of a once great company that helped put man on the moon is why we stay. Work/life balance is excellent, however with co-location coming down the pipe this may change soon.

Cons

The Bad and Ugly is not knowing when you will be RA'd. It may not happen today but it will happen. Staff morale is plunging and in free fall now and most FLM have little interest in being transparent and motivation their teams. Everything is manageable within IBM if it wasn't for the constant threat of being RA's. It's everyone for themselves as people scramble to try and find new roles externally. Come here at your own risk.

Advice to Management

Management don't listen to their teams any longer so sadly it's a mute point to provide any advice to the management team.

4. "Ibm pros n cons"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work culture and provide work life balance

Cons

Too much process oriented

Advice to Management

Try to retain good people

5. "IBM"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are some genuinely nice people working here who are trying very hard to be agile, innovative and provide customers with the best products and services possible.

Cons

As part of a very large corporation, you may have very little control over the larger departmental and business unit decisions.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Listen what to what they think would be best. Invite feedback from the lowest levels.

"IBM are interested in the bottom line"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM have lots of interesting technologies. They have a global intranet and social network, and plenty of online training.

Cons

It seems like, at least on the account I'm working for, the pressure for the bottom line is overwhelming. This is to the point that even fully utilised employees have been made redundant. I worry that the client will suffer because of this. Long term future with IBM is uncertain.

We are being asked to sell IBM offerings without any training. I don't see how this can work.

Advice to Management

Management are a mixed bag. Some managers are professional and respectful. Some are rude and arrogant to the point that it made me start searching for another position.

My advice to management is respect your line staff.

7. "Senior Managing Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Provides great opportunities to learn and develop your capabilities.

Cons

Very complex organisation with too much bureaucracy. Struggling to adapt to market changes

Advice to Management

Management need to focus on delivery and client focus.

8. "First Professional Role"

Current Employee - Intern in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Current Employee - Intern in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros

Able to work from home. Friendly staff. Role is what you make of it can get good experience etc. Heard IBM is good on the resume.

Cons

Not any that I could say at the moment. IBM is undergoing change and hopefully that change is successful so it can continue to be a good employer.

Advice to Management

Nothing in particular.

"Promise Globally , Fail to deliver Locally"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was a big name once , no real product anymore , used to be good for the CV

Cons

Sell well at Global Level - can't deliver locally especially in Australia !
    No different to an Indian outsourcer in reality but higher prices
    Reputation going down the drain " I've Been Mugged " is how their known in many areas

Advice to Management

Rip it up & start again

"Lead account manager for IBM consulting services"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation, clever people, global talent pool, range of services

Cons

bureaucracy, slow to change, poor internal systems, sometimes individuals stretched too far

Showing 13 of 32,359 reviews