IBM Quality Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "At times work life balance gets challenging" (in 1112 reviews)

• "Low Salary growth in comparison" (in 537 reviews)

1. "Great friendly environment"

Former Intern - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dubuque, IA
    Former Intern - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The freedom to work how you want on projects

Cons

none it was a great experience

2. "n/a"

Current Contractor - Systems Administrator/Customer Support/Quality Assurance Analyst in Yorktown Heights, NY

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some workers have flexibility with the ability to work in an office and/or offsite. If it wasn't for personally valuing more flexibility than many other companies, I probably would have looked elsewhere for a job closer to home with better pay that may be less flexible.

Cons

-May be tough to get raises as a contractor. No annual raises, but contractor must be willing to request it.

-I probably could have made at least another 10-30k if I worked for a company that didn't offer flexibility, but I value it. I'm sure IBM sees it as a way to save money on office space and pay too. However, flexibility can be a con instead of a pro for some workers, so management must be trained to notice it. Management needs to evaluate who is still doing their work with the flexibility, and who isn't. As I do my work, flexibility allows me to be more efficient and do even more work. I do wonder about few coworkers/managers though.

-Not receiving bonuses. Strong believer in all employees having the ability to achieve bonuses if they meet certain criteria, as well as incentive for stock involvement by employees. When employees have a stake in how well a company does, their work is better. Everybody wins.

Advice to Management

-Working with many different people from different countries, some who are on site and others remote, I think it would help improve teamwork to lightly push workers to use their webcam during webex meetings. I'd hate for webcam to be required, but an optional light push for workers to use it occasionally so it doesn't feel like it's just a voice we're talking to from another country.

-Also, our management does team lunches 1x a yr, sometimes 2. While lunches show appreciation, it doesn't build teamwork. I'm aware of other coworkers who actually go to team-building fun events like "escape the room" puzzles. Perhaps occasionally switch out a lunch for a voluntary team-building event.

-Sometimes involved in meetings I have no business being in, which lowers my focus in getting work done. Evaluate if managers are being efficient and aren't simply taking an easy one-size-all approach of just delegating work and having entire team on call unnecessarily.

-As I work with many people from different countries, onsite, remote, etc... it may help to have informal meeting 1-4x a month. Where whoever can join the informal meetings does so. The meeting doesn't need to have any purpose, except for easy access to a team for collaboration/questions as needed.

3. "Data Quality Analyst"

Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance is good

Cons

management people are very approachable

Advice to Management

need to be a people manger

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with IBM right out of college. It is a very rewarding experience.

Cons

Management needed to work out some issues in order to make the rest of the Delivery Center more successful.

5. "The early years were great, the last several years were stressful"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working from home has been the biggest benefit lately.

Cons

Always seem to be worried about next RA and how to stay off the list, raises few and far between, little or no bonuses, working to all hours.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on stock price, build a business that provides value to the customer. Put the customer and employees first, the stock price will follow. I was once told by an ex-IBMer Good Business is good for everybody. Go back to that belief and IBM can once again be a great company both to work for and to do business with.

"Sweat shop."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dubuque, IA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Dubuque, IA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a large company and if you are lucky or rub elbows with the right people you can get out of IBM Dubuque and possibly into the real IBM.

Cons

IBM Dubuque is a very undesirable location for more than one reason. It's easy to get in but very difficult to get out of IBM Dubuque and remain in IBM.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to work, work, work and then go to work.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Dubuque, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Quality Analyst in Dubuque, IA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of good experience and resume building.

I have some faith that I will grow in this career.

Cons

I should have negotiated my starting salary. At the time was very excited to start there, however I should have been more aggressive stating my base salary. However since this is my first real professional job I look at it as a lesson learned.

Advice to Management

Stop being so focused on the bottom line and EPS.

"There's always a fear you will be in the next set of layoffs."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Waltham, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and outstanding benefits.

Cons

Some groups are protective of sharing information within their team in order to help secure their jobs. There is much overhead when it comes to being 'IBM compliant' as an employee. Don't expect to get even the simplest things done quickly. Also hard to find good managers that back up and advance their people.

Advice to Management

Not enough contact with lower management to identify the impacts that certain decisions have on the business and their people. Too much is done from the '30,000 foot' level.

9. "Delivery Analyst"

Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

good Company to work with, work life balance, job security, Goog Ca-rear growth

Cons

Compensation, Hike , Bonus, over all compensation

10. "Quality Assurance"

Former Intern - Quality Assurance Analyst in Damansara (Malaysia)
    Former Intern - Quality Assurance Analyst in Damansara (Malaysia)

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning work envirnoment, Professional atmosphere, Helpful Co-Workers

Cons

Can be a little closed off at times.