IBM Reviews in Raleigh, NC | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

1. "Good Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Individual project, many intern events, and very agile environment

Cons

No relocation assistance, not enough pay for relocating to another state for the role.

2. "IBM's expanded Parental leave program"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBMers hands down. I have always been amazed to find such bright, intelligent and resourceful people to work with.
    There were a lot of eyes on IBM having had a good quarter and the first big news that came out was regarding the expanded parental leave program. In the past I would have expected IBM to reinvest in research or growing a business line; this time however the first move was on how IBM reinvested in the workforce, it's employees.
    IBM recently expanded its parental leave program to 12 weeks, allowing parents (both moms and dads) to care for and share in the joys of the early childhood days.
    IBM also has a lot of diversity in job types that you can choose from and learn about a different part of the business allowing you the career options to innovate and learn; take it where you'd like to.

Cons

Client facing roles involve a lot of travel and sometimes feel isolated from the DNA of IBM, you have to make a conscious choice to stay connected and networked within IBM. I learnt about the expanded parental leave program through a blog post; not top down from management.

Advice to Management

Be better advocates for your employees and build stronger teams.

3. "Great experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

caring management team, friendly co-workers

Cons

you will do well if you ask questions, but you have to be self-motivated enough to ask them

4. "Variety of opportunities & Amazing colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT people who are smart and hardworking but fun and have good values. Interesting work and the opportunity to have a variety of different roles, growing your expertise in different areas, throughout a single career. Lots of opportunity to travel and learn new things. Impressive family policies including a NEW parental leave program that doubles from 6 to 12 weeks and includes fathers, partners, and adoptive parents. (For birth moms, this is in addition to the typical 6-8 weeks of paid maternity leave – so you can take up to 20 weeks paid.)

I started at IBM when I was fresh out of business school and I have been here for almost 17 years. My life has changed drastically from the time I was hired - when I was a single woman with a dog - to now, as a mom with 2 kids. IBM has supported me through all of these transitions, allowing me to go on an international assignment for 2 years to be with my English then finance/ now husband, take leave of absence to stay home with both of my children until they were 1 year old and to work part time when they were small . Throughout these transitions I have been able to grow my skill set and expertise so that now that my children are a bit older I am able to have a high profile leadership role. I could not have asked for a better company to work for or partner with for the past 17 years.

Cons

IBM is big - which is a strength, because of the number of opportunities it offers, but for the wrong kind of person it can be overwhelming. People who need a lot of hand holding have a hard time here. People who can figure things out and get things done thrive and enjoy a lot of challenges, as well as the opportunity to travel and meet some really great people from all over the world.

Senior management is mostly good, but can be somewhat out of touch with what is really happening on the ground. I have been very impressed, though, with most of the new marketing leadership that have come on board in the past 12-18 months. For the most part I have seen good vision and competitive spirit, which is what we need.

Advice to Management

I am lucky to work for a management team who strives to keep things fun while maintaining a laser like focus on the business, and I see other managers who are not able to do this. It can be sad for the teams who work for these managers.

5. "Transformation"

Current Employee - SaaS Leader in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - SaaS Leader in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Iconic organization that has been involved since the dawn of computing. IBM is filled with extremely bright, talented, and diverse teammates who are committed to building the future for the next 100 years.

Cons

Staying relevant with rate and pace of change in technology across the globe...has come with a price. Transformation can bring the baggage of non productive pressures.

Advice to Management

Stay on the strategic course and improve on the speed and execution. AI monetization has not happened yet in any meaningful way...stay the course.

6. "Not accusing, but age discrimination"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are great. Promotion oportunity is thete but rare

Cons

Easy to be laid off. Management does not like older people in junior position.

Advice to Management

Older people are more reliable, more consistent and thorough.

7. "Good company overall, a little traditional but it's trying to change."

Current Employee - Enterprise Services in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Enterprise Services in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility of work hours.
    - IBMers are great people to work with.
    - It's trying to transform the way we work.
    - Career opportunities, you can different roles within the company.

Cons

- Bureaucratic, too many politics. Too many executives and managers.
    - Too many employees with "old" mentality.
    - IBM has a big gap in the employees age, and sometimes is hard to push back from a young employee with new ideas to old employees with "this is how we've been doing it..."

Advice to Management

Please stop playing politics, it's hurting IBM. This is TECHNOLOGY, a very fast-paced industry, we do not have time for playing politics or just pleasing leadership. In other words, please consider with any decision: think first about IBM, then think about your department, then think about you.

8. "Oracle PTP Consultant"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work. Good collaborative team.

Cons

Nothing cons to say about this company

"IBM AS WE KNEW IT IS GONE"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The relationships you build over the years are the biggest take away and often prove helpful once you're laid off.

Cons

There are too many to list but respect the individual is non existent.

10. "Review of IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Programmer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Advisory Programmer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Good Benefits
    - Good Salary
    - Good focus on equal opportunity with no tolerance for any type of harassment against any employee.

Cons

There is little / no predictability when it comes to layoffs (known as "resource actions"), what projects might be affected by the layoffs, or who will be affected.

Showing 289 of 33,950 reviews