IBM Reviews in Raleigh, NC | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Bad work life balance in the company (in 993 reviews)

• In this competitive atmosphere, you must often work long hours (in 467 reviews)

1. "Experience at IBM"

Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Applications Programmer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great People
    - Pathway to change your career if you network and help people
    - I've had great managers
    - Opportunity to learn and develop skills outside of your job title
    - Love the Agile Floor!
    - My managers have kept me very informed on the politics of the business

Cons

- Not many perks (free coffee would be an instant moral booster)
    - Moving away from Remote Work (depends on perspective)

Advice to Management

After all the RA's focus on keeping your best people by investing in there education and something as small as free coffee.

2. "Good Place to Work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome work quality.
    Lots to learn.
    Lots of teams in the campus so easy to move around.
    Overall really good.

Cons

Multiple teams in the campus. So, when the need arises to collaborate with other teams, integration is a mess.
    Employee retention is really low.
    Perks offered to interns are not equivalent to university new hires.

3. "Great place for young people"

Former Employee - Soft Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Soft Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined IBM as a intern, within 6 month internship, I learned more than I did in college 3 years. It is definitely a great place to start your career as a college graduate. People are nice, helpful and smart. The work hours are very flexible, alot good opportunity to advance your career inside the company.

Cons

Big organization, its hard to get your voice heard. The company had some of the most advanced ideas and opportunities in many high tech field in early years: cloud, Big Data, AI, LOT. However, with all the other big competitor, IBM is falling behind in all of those fields. Many of my fellow co-workers went to Google, Amazon, Facebook, not only because of the pay check, but the career opportunities.

4. "It’s not what you know, it’s who you know"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Sales Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Sales Specialist in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent bonus structure if they give it to you. If you’re in good with upper management the sky is the limit. If they are gone or move on you have to start again. Be aware of this and know your second and third plus line bosses and your journey is fulfilling.

Cons

There’s no rhyme or reason to the layoffs. In February of my last year as a technical person I made a 90k bonus responsible for large sales. One month later told my position no longer needed. The funny thing is they would keep continue to hire people for the same role that was going away.

Everything about IBM is now a who you know up top to shield you. You lose your safety shield and you’re exposed. It’s dumb when you see worldwide experts let go, but those who are just buddy buddy with upper management are kept around when others do their role for them.

Advice to Management

My last day my boss did not talk to me on close out. It was really awkward. Some managers are great. Some are terrible. Communication is key and not all do it.

"Do not accept a job here unless you want to play russian roulette with the constant layoffs"

Former Employee - Software Development and Test Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Development and Test Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any reason why people would choose to work here. If I had known about the poor financial performance, lack of focus/strategy and layoffs I never would have joined the company.

Cons

Layoffs every quarter. Lack of direction/focus on the new initiatives. Lack of budgeting and planning results in being told to hire as many people as you can only to have to lay them off a year or more later. Managers are not authorized to do anything but write reviews, performance improvement plans and hire. Complete lack of autonomy.

Advice to Management

If you hire people with proven successful track records, let them lead. Before hiring people, make sure the budget for the projects they'll be working on have approval and support of the executives. Don't advertise that Watson, Watson Health, Cloud or AI is a strategic initiative and then make massive cuts to these organizations. Stop off-shoring all of the jobs.

"if you like uncertainty, this is the place for you"

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits for parents
    flex working options for some teams

Cons

RAs on a whim, constant reorgs, no consistency at all across business units, organizations, and overall

Advice to Management

why bother they won't listen anyway

7. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Architect in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you work hard, they reward you. The people on my team and within my organization are top notch and I always trust the decisions being made from my executives. The flexibility of the job cannot be beat.

Cons

Long hours. Since I have a global team I can find myself taking late meetings and the Slack messages are non-stop. With frequent acquisitions, it can be hard to bring on a new team without some culture conflict.

Advice to Management

Do not stop investing in top talent and continue to fill in business gaps with proper acquisitions. Trying to catch up with home grown built solutions will not cut it.

8. "Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There really aren't any pros anymore. I wouldn't recommend anyone go there.

Cons

Investment in software development is gone.

9. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM provides many resources available to you regardless what job you may have. IBM has global locations, wherever you travel to, you can find colleagues there who can lend a helping hand. IBM has good managers who normally are eager to help to make you successful. IBM has increasingly become Open Source software driving development company, its services and technical skills have been up to date in every area. IBM provides relatively flexible working hours so that employees can have their own working habbit to be very productive.

Cons

Since the company is very big, in some cases the communications between leaders and workers may not be as good as it can be.

Advice to Management

Have great sense of the market and take us to the most desirable/hottest industries and make developers learn the most advanced technologies so that people become very confident in their skills and company become so wanted due to its people

10. "The manager ranted at us on day 1"

Former Contractor - Contract Data Entry in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Contract Data Entry in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were as stunned as I was and were very supportive.

Cons

Day 1 of a contract position. We were supposed to be doing some basic data input tasks, nothing too hard. If you can type, you can do it. Two managers greet us, and one of them spends two hours berating us about how he knows we're screwups and terrible people. I wish I could remember more of what he said. I was so stunned, shocked even.

At lunch, my coworkers made plans for things like bringing in coffee and making the breakroom friendly, very casual. They seemed to be ok with the treatment, or at least ignoring it. Here's the reason I wasn't.... I was the only white person in a room full of 30 people. After I couldn't handle it anymore and he said something like "I'm from the Midwest and we know how to deal with you people" (what does that mean? what you people are you talking about?), I said that I normally have an excellent experience working a contract for IBM and have done so many times in other places. This is true, I went to Marist College, I temped at IBM in several places in the northeast. I also had had a few contract jobs with Spherion, the company that got me THIS contract, and each contract had been a positive experience. I said I was surprised to hear that he'd had a bad experience before.

I felt like I had to stand up for both IBM and Spherion, which are usually such great companies. It broke my heart to see everyone just tolerate that in stiff silence. Everyone in that room was dressed more formally than me. But what finally made me decide not to go back? At the end of the day, the managers chose me to be the team leader! Not the coworkers, but the managers who'd just berated all these people! He chose the only white woman in the room to be the team lead. I bet there were at least 5 people there with better credentials than me for that role. They just didn't want to have to deal with anyone with dark skin. Ugh it's disgusting to think such people are managers.

Advice to Management

Someone's skin color doesn't determine their ability or trustworthiness. The women and men I met that day were very kind and had every bit as much skill as I did. They could see how upset I was. I still maintain that there is no such thing as race, only excuses for bullying behavior.

I don't know if the CEO even knows what happened there, so I can't downvote her for it. I wrote this a long time after the fact, it was actually 2010. The experience has left me traumatized. I wouldn't have believed such things could happen if I didn't see it myself.

I went back to Spherion and told them I couldn't accept the contract after all and I was sorry. I said I thought they needed to ask their workers if they are ok because something upsetting happened, but I wasn't sure they were as upset by it as I was. I didn't go around screaming "racist" but the experience soured me on seeking contract work in the South and I have never stopped thinking about it. Those people deserved better, and so did I.

Showing 297 of 37,821 reviews