IBM Reviews in Raleigh, NC | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM provides many resources available to you regardless what job you may have. IBM has global locations, wherever you travel to, you can find colleagues there who can lend a helping hand. IBM has good managers who normally are eager to help to make you successful. IBM has increasingly become Open Source software driving development company, its services and technical skills have been up to date in every area. IBM provides relatively flexible working hours so that employees can have their own working habbit to be very productive.

Cons

Since the company is very big, in some cases the communications between leaders and workers may not be as good as it can be.

Advice to Management

Have great sense of the market and take us to the most desirable/hottest industries and make developers learn the most advanced technologies so that people become very confident in their skills and company become so wanted due to its people

2. "The manager ranted at us on day 1"

Former Contractor - Contract Data Entry in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Contract Data Entry in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were as stunned as I was and were very supportive.

Cons

Day 1 of a contract position. We were supposed to be doing some basic data input tasks, nothing too hard. If you can type, you can do it. Two managers greet us, and one of them spends two hours berating us about how he knows we're screwups and terrible people. I wish I could remember more of what he said. I was so stunned, shocked even.

At lunch, my coworkers made plans for things like bringing in coffee and making the breakroom friendly, very casual. They seemed to be ok with the treatment, or at least ignoring it. Here's the reason I wasn't.... I was the only white person in a room full of 30 people. After I couldn't handle it anymore and he said something like "I'm from the Midwest and we know how to deal with you people" (what does that mean? what you people are you talking about?), I said that I normally have an excellent experience working a contract for IBM and have done so many times in other places. This is true, I went to Marist College, I temped at IBM in several places in the northeast. I also had had a few contract jobs with Spherion, the company that got me THIS contract, and each contract had been a positive experience. I said I was surprised to hear that he'd had a bad experience before.

I felt like I had to stand up for both IBM and Spherion, which are usually such great companies. It broke my heart to see everyone just tolerate that in stiff silence. Everyone in that room was dressed more formally than me. But what finally made me decide not to go back? At the end of the day, the managers chose me to be the team leader! Not the coworkers, but the managers who'd just berated all these people! He chose the only white woman in the room to be the team lead. I bet there were at least 5 people there with better credentials than me for that role. They just didn't want to have to deal with anyone with dark skin. Ugh it's disgusting to think such people are managers.

Advice to Management

Someone's skin color doesn't determine their ability or trustworthiness. The women and men I met that day were very kind and had every bit as much skill as I did. They could see how upset I was. I still maintain that there is no such thing as race, only excuses for bullying behavior.

I don't know if the CEO even knows what happened there, so I can't downvote her for it. I wrote this a long time after the fact, it was actually 2010. The experience has left me traumatized. I wouldn't have believed such things could happen if I didn't see it myself.

I went back to Spherion and told them I couldn't accept the contract after all and I was sorry. I said I thought they needed to ask their workers if they are ok because something upsetting happened, but I wasn't sure they were as upset by it as I was. I didn't go around screaming "racist" but the experience soured me on seeking contract work in the South and I have never stopped thinking about it. Those people deserved better, and so did I.

"Sad decline of a once great company"

Former Employee - Marketing in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can do anything at IBM - lots of room to move laterally. You are given a lot of room to develop your skills and are mostly autonomous on your projects if you are a senior resource. IBM brand is tarnishing but still impressive in the industry. I loved working here and remember what it used to be.

Cons

One word - "co-location". The death sentence for IBM US marketing and all high performers -- co-location drove out the best performers into the arms of competitors (myself included). I still have contacts within IBM and am told executing any marketing tactic is virtually impossible. Too much IP went out the door w/the best employees and the new collar newbies lack knowledge of the market and products. All of my team left to go to competitors vs. co-locate to Austin, TX . We were a successful remote team who worked with WW resources so moving to 1 location to "be together" is frankly absurd.

Advice to Management

Servers are meant to be colocated -- not people. If you only know 1 way of doing things then you are doing it all wrong or wrong for IBM. IBM was always about the art of the possible, ingenuity, being distinctively different (a la "treasure wild ducks") and having the most customer-focused dedicated teams in the industry. Value people for what they deliver and the skills they have vs. where they sit. Short term gains from these type of cuts will cripple IBM in the long run. Forget the stock price and bonuses and focus on doing what's right for the biz and your people and it will succeed. You are almost out of time.

4. "Good Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Individual project, many intern events, and very agile environment

Cons

No relocation assistance, not enough pay for relocating to another state for the role.

5. "Great experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

caring management team, friendly co-workers

Cons

you will do well if you ask questions, but you have to be self-motivated enough to ask them

6. "IBM's expanded Parental leave program"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBMers hands down. I have always been amazed to find such bright, intelligent and resourceful people to work with.
    There were a lot of eyes on IBM having had a good quarter and the first big news that came out was regarding the expanded parental leave program. In the past I would have expected IBM to reinvest in research or growing a business line; this time however the first move was on how IBM reinvested in the workforce, it's employees.
    IBM recently expanded its parental leave program to 12 weeks, allowing parents (both moms and dads) to care for and share in the joys of the early childhood days.
    IBM also has a lot of diversity in job types that you can choose from and learn about a different part of the business allowing you the career options to innovate and learn; take it where you'd like to.

Cons

Client facing roles involve a lot of travel and sometimes feel isolated from the DNA of IBM, you have to make a conscious choice to stay connected and networked within IBM. I learnt about the expanded parental leave program through a blog post; not top down from management.

Advice to Management

Be better advocates for your employees and build stronger teams.

"Variety of opportunities & Amazing colleagues"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GREAT people who are smart and hardworking but fun and have good values. Interesting work and the opportunity to have a variety of different roles, growing your expertise in different areas, throughout a single career. Lots of opportunity to travel and learn new things. Impressive family policies including a NEW parental leave program that doubles from 6 to 12 weeks and includes fathers, partners, and adoptive parents. (For birth moms, this is in addition to the typical 6-8 weeks of paid maternity leave – so you can take up to 20 weeks paid.)

I started at IBM when I was fresh out of business school and I have been here for almost 17 years. My life has changed drastically from the time I was hired - when I was a single woman with a dog - to now, as a mom with 2 kids. IBM has supported me through all of these transitions, allowing me to go on an international assignment for 2 years to be with my English then finance/ now husband, take leave of absence to stay home with both of my children until they were 1 year old and to work part time when they were small . Throughout these transitions I have been able to grow my skill set and expertise so that now that my children are a bit older I am able to have a high profile leadership role. I could not have asked for a better company to work for or partner with for the past 17 years.

Cons

IBM is big - which is a strength, because of the number of opportunities it offers, but for the wrong kind of person it can be overwhelming. People who need a lot of hand holding have a hard time here. People who can figure things out and get things done thrive and enjoy a lot of challenges, as well as the opportunity to travel and meet some really great people from all over the world.

Senior management is mostly good, but can be somewhat out of touch with what is really happening on the ground. I have been very impressed, though, with most of the new marketing leadership that have come on board in the past 12-18 months. For the most part I have seen good vision and competitive spirit, which is what we need.

Advice to Management

I am lucky to work for a management team who strives to keep things fun while maintaining a laser like focus on the business, and I see other managers who are not able to do this. It can be sad for the teams who work for these managers.

8. "Transformation"

Current Employee - SaaS Leader in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - SaaS Leader in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Iconic organization that has been involved since the dawn of computing. IBM is filled with extremely bright, talented, and diverse teammates who are committed to building the future for the next 100 years.

Cons

Staying relevant with rate and pace of change in technology across the globe...has come with a price. Transformation can bring the baggage of non productive pressures.

Advice to Management

Stay on the strategic course and improve on the speed and execution. AI monetization has not happened yet in any meaningful way...stay the course.

9. "Not accusing, but age discrimination"

Former Employee - Information Technology in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits and pay are great. Promotion oportunity is thete but rare

Cons

Easy to be laid off. Management does not like older people in junior position.

Advice to Management

Older people are more reliable, more consistent and thorough.

10. "Good company overall, a little traditional but it's trying to change."

Current Employee - Enterprise Services in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Enterprise Services in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility of work hours.
    - IBMers are great people to work with.
    - It's trying to transform the way we work.
    - Career opportunities, you can different roles within the company.

Cons

- Bureaucratic, too many politics. Too many executives and managers.
    - Too many employees with "old" mentality.
    - IBM has a big gap in the employees age, and sometimes is hard to push back from a young employee with new ideas to old employees with "this is how we've been doing it..."

Advice to Management

Please stop playing politics, it's hurting IBM. This is TECHNOLOGY, a very fast-paced industry, we do not have time for playing politics or just pleasing leadership. In other words, please consider with any decision: think first about IBM, then think about your department, then think about you.

Showing 290 of 35,666 reviews