IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

1,351 Ratings

2,565 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 916 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 436 reviews)

1. "Takes a long time to turn a ship that big"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance, competitive salaries

Cons

Zero culture to speak of, no employee pride, not viewed as innovative any longer, CONSTANT management changes and pivots. For a company w/ so many remote employees the lack of collaboration is a real issue. Medical/dental benefits not competitive w/ other tech companies. Too expensive, high deductibles, etc.

Advice to Management

Let's use riding a bike as an analogy to running a company. IBM is staring at the front tire and not looking at the road ahead. As a result, there are too many 'corrections' that happen all too frequently - leaving customers and employees wondering where are we going with this. Get on a course and stay on it!

2. "A truly despicable company--I'd rate it zero stars if Glassdoor would let me"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They'll promise you lots of great things they'll never actually deliver on (both employees and customers alike)

Cons

They will drain every last ounce of your value with completely unrealistic utilization expectations, deprive you of having any kind of a life outside of work, and then discard you like yesterday's trash the first opportunity they get, regardless of your performance.

Advice to Management

This company is way too far gone to provide any meaningful advice to management. If you are an employee or customer--all you can do is RUN AWAY as hard and fast as you can.

3. "Doesn't care about the person no matter how much they say they do"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Providence, RI

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people are awesome - great attitude and teamwork abounds but teams get bogged down from lack of senior management direction. Only a few VPs+ are inspirational, most are just blowing air and buzz words.

Cons

Although they say that there is plenty of opportunity to transfer it is limited to your location, especially development teams. Definitely block you when you are on the radar for a resource action and will set up layoff to the great advantage of IBM, even making it 2 days short of a month end just to save on vacation day accumulation for the laid off employees.

Advice to Management

Stop with the reorgs just to satisfy the executive level - and realize that some remote workers are productive and just cut all the dead wood instead of everybody - no more path of least resistance

"Slow painful death"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Boulder, CO

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great view of the Rocky Mountains. Close to Boulder, CO, which is a great city. Plenty of parking. Onsite gym

Cons

Poor pay, depressing environment, middle management is a joke. Always looking over your shoulder for pending layoffs. Butt-kissers are promoted to their level of incompetency.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people, not your managers.

5. "Not my fathers company"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Poughkeepsie, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

As a 35 year plus veteran of IBM, I would not recommend anybody to work there thinking of long-term. A very short term experience might be helpful to see how you should not be treated by IBM management.

Cons

Poor benefits, poor mgmt, poor long term goals, poor pay, poor direction, poor morale. I would not want my childer. Working for IBM.

Advice to Management

Go back to basics. Respect for the individual. MBWA.

6. "Get some experience.... then get out ASAP!"

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Most people who work in lower level roles at IBM are amazing.
    - Most Lower level management strives to work hard and support team.
    - Lots of resources and learning for employees.
    - working from home is nice, but going away for a lot of people and teams

Cons

- Upper management creates chaos for no reason, there’s some major dictator types!
    - Highly political environment that keeps getting worse and worse.
    - The company is failing and management is either lying or blind to the fact. I would have so much more respect for leaders who admit the problem and work to fix it. Instead they just keep saying we are the best of the best and leaders of the industry. It turns a blind eye to problems and is unrealistic.

I’ve hated working here honestly. It’s been a nice resume boost and I’ve gotten some great connections but no way I would stay here long term!

The company doesn’t invest in employees at all, despite what they tell you.

As a side note: a lot of the 5 star reviews are “questionable” as employees are encouraged to add them in peak recruiting cycles.

Advice to Management

Work collectively to throw the bad eggs out if upper Leadership.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sedona, AZ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sedona, AZ

I worked at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can work remotely

Cons

Pay cuts, unpaid mandatory furloughs, quarterly layoffs, never enough people to do the work.

Advice to Management

You have great people working for you start taking care of them!! Look at upper management to do pay cuts, and layoffs, stop the million dollar bonuses too upper management they are NOT doing a good job running IBM.

"Might be a good place to start your career but overall not a good place to work."

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impressive product portfolio depending on which technology you are selling.

Cons

Way to much mandatory training, supremely political, confusing business processes, engineering led sales team, tons of infighting, and terrible marketing messages.

Before you consider a sales position here get a real clear picture of the comp plan. They will not tell you about their "Absolute" vs. "Leveraged" sales plans because then they will have to divulge you lose 18% of your base salary when they make you switch from one to the other.

IBM has a message that their technology is disruptive to various industries, but inside the company they still do things "the IBM way"--which is to say they use outdated processes, tools, tracking systems. Most times you spend your day filling out spreadsheets instead of using any of the internal systems.

Most managers are in the business of trying to get another job within the company so they are not focused on getting you the things you need and can't/won't help you if you need it. Your pretty much on your own for all things.

Advice to Management

There is a reason IBM has lost revenue 22 (soon to be 23) straight quarters and it isn't the sales teams fault. There needs to be wholesale changes on the executive management team. The replacement team needs to come from outside IBM to get the company caught up to the rest of the IT industry.

9. "Sinking ship"

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, solid pay, loved the culture of my group.

Cons

Constant fear of RAs, cutting of benefits, being forced to relocate or leave

"IBM Is Out of Touch"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM is very innovative with the research division

Cons

They no longer care about the older workforce. They are quietly replacing them with students fresh out of college up to 30-year-olds.

Advice to Management

Realize IBM is VERY far behind in your cloud services/offerings and very few companies want your services except old companies that used IBM services for decades. These companies are not the companies disrupting various industries so IBM is dying a slow death. You are also too focused on satisfying the board with financial reports and you forget about the people in the company you need to make IBM profitable again.

Showing 2,565 of 33,122 reviews