IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

Virginia Rometty
2,835 Ratings

8,558 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • The hours are very long with a poor work/life balance (in 778 reviews)

• There is an expectation to work long hours to progress within the company (in 390 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major ... More

2. "Market Insight and Development Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at IBM as an intern

Pros

Interesting project
    Engaging clients and dynamic team

Cons

It's a huge company and it could be a bit difficult to navigate in terms of understanding the overall strategy

3. "IBM feedback"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work. transparent policy. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

If you don't like travel, then it is not for you.

5. "Great History and global mission"

Current Employee - Recruiting Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiting Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Powerful support system from a technical perspective

Excellent work environment with Agile methodology

Top technology and industry leader with patents and R&D

Cons

Company does not try to be competitive within the market from a compensation perspective. Organization feels that employees should accept less because it's IBM.
    To much emphasis on hiring and retention of females, diversity is great but strongest performer should dictate these areas, not gender.

"Long term employee - joined via acquisition"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Provides unique opportunities for employees, including advancing education, leadership training and the ability to move into new areas of the business without changing companies.

Cons

Quarterly pressure on results can lead to short term decision making, for example including short term cost controls, etc. Also, support for "mobile" employees seems to be changing in favor of locating groups of employees in specific locations, which apply constraints on specific roles and will lead to significant reduction in opportunities for employees.

Advice to Management

Avoid short term decision making and "all or nothing" policies such as employee co-location, in favor of encouraging desired employee behavior via collaboration tools and incentives.

7. "Sr,Software Developer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to learn new thing and good carrier growth.

Cons

nothing much,not entertainment on permanent residence process

8. "Marketing manager"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

IBM is an influential name, international environment, thought leadership

Cons

Traditional, process thinking, limited creativity

Advice to Management

More focus on millenials and new ways of project management

9. "Extreme Blue"

Pros

challenging but flexible projects, high level of autonomy

Cons

not much, lacks direction sometimes

10. "Manager-Management Consulting"

I have been working at IBM full-time

Pros

Big Company-plenty of opportunities to move around

Cons

Consulting staffing can be difficult

11. "Sr Customer Success Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great work environment, reputable company

Cons

large company, had to navigate at times

Showing 8,558 of 27,310 reviews