IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

3,825 Ratings

10,723 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

2. "Dunno what to put here"

Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - SAP Consultant in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Top 5 worldwide for SAP consulting

Cons

Known for under paying consultants

Advice to Management

Pay your people

3. "Incredible company incredible people"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a strong career path for technical people. You can get a mentor who really cares about you and help you to plan your career over the next 10 years.
    IBM really cares about Making it easy for people with diverse backgrounds to work together without discrimination. I’m not going to say that women have it perfect out here, but management makes an active effort to promote women and this creates an atmosphere which is more conducive to collaboration than any I have seen elsewhere. Discrimination against Asians is nonexistent, or at least not significant enough for me to detect.
    People will go out of their way to help you.
    There is a wealth of opportunities to progress at any time. You need to ensure that you are aligned with the company goals rather than just what your manager is asking you to do.

Cons

The biggest problem at working at IBM is to take an idea and to have world-class impact. It’s relatively easy to have any impact at the scale off one customer or even one line of business but to create a product that’s going to revolutionize the world is difficult.

Advice to Management

There is a reservoir of goodwill towards IBM in the world. Use it.

4. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Minds to work alongside.

Cons

Can be slow adapting to change, particularly among senior managers' trepidations to risk their long-term standing

Advice to Management

Encourage C level to change without fear of excessive reprimand, especially as IBM is touted as an industry engine for change

5. "Good place to work"

I worked at IBM full-time

Pros

lots of self training opportunities

Cons

bonuses are few and far in between

"Great people, toxic environment"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Smart colleagues, great first and second line management

Cons

Constant resource actions in Sales, top execs seem to have no regard for their people

Advice to Management

The employees who leave IBM are going to work for your customers and your competitors.

7. "there was a good working enviroment."

Pros

I really enjoyed the people that were in my team.

Cons

There is no free coffee which is lame.

8. "Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Potential for growth is positive

Cons

Depending on where in the org, it could become a boys club

9. "Builds Strong Leadership"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great management training and mentoring programs. Well defined career paths and options.

Cons

Baseline 44 hour work week in GBS. Difficult to get a good raise without promotion.

Advice to Management

Find a better method for employee evaluations and ratings.

10. "Overall good experience"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Great people to work with, lots of room for growth

Cons

Large company, always restructuring and very siloed so it's hard to keep track of what's going on

Advice to Management

Find ways to

Showing 10,723 of 33,868 reviews