IBM Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 870 reviews)

• Long hours required during peak work periods (in 426 reviews)

1. "Bad Hiring experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Rochester, MN
    Current Intern - Intern in Rochester, MN

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy access to get job

Cons

bad pay for their employees

Advice to Management

don't outsource the hiring process

"Very diverted place to both learn and grow"

Current Employee - Summer Research Intern in Yorktown Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Research Intern in Yorktown Heights, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Research of different skills and in various domains are working in one building, creating tremendous opportunities for collaboration.

Freedom in terms of working

Cons

Relatively many business meeting, but is fine if you are just a research staff

Advice to Management

Make administration as flat as possible

3. "Terrible"

Former Intern - ASIC Verification Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Intern - ASIC Verification Intern in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good work/life balance most of the time
    - Looks good on resume

Cons

- Pay is below average compared to rest of industry
    - A lot of the employees are very unprofessional compared to other places I have worked. Swearing, racist jokes, etc etc are common without anyone saying anything about it.
    - The tools (both software and hardware) are really outdated, and not worthwhile learning as rest of the industry no longer uses them.
    - Not innovative AT ALL. IBM in its recruiting presents itself as innovative, industry leader. The company is certainly an industry leader but not innovative. Coworkers constantly joke around about how they pick the easiest solution.

Advice to Management

Make the company more modern. Pay more, hire better, more professional employees.

"Not the greatest experience even at a big company."

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern

Pros

IBM is a big company that has a lot of financial support. The technologies used is good overall and the pay is decent.

Cons

I really did not like how my call was rerouted to India because of my questions regarding United States benefits. I felt the outsourcing is a tad bit too high.

Advice to Management

My biggest advice is simply that you need to really focus on your employees and how they can truly function in a big company.

5. "I am alive!"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Brussels (Belgium)
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Brussels (Belgium)

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Legendary company, great exposure to many different things, well structured system audit, lovely place to work

Cons

if you are not local be sure they will remind you that you are not welcome in any possible way.
    If you don't speak dutch and french you will be the black sheep.
    Many of the IBMers who build the whole career in Brussels or Luxembourg have not qualitative experience and the hold responsible position now even they used to do phone call only! Be careful and check the background of your Line Manager. In Netherlands you might have better chances.

Advice to Management

Give a good training to the IBMers and for mid-management roles... they die from the responsibilities.

"Not very positive... lacking in structure"

Former Employee - Research Intern in Hawthorne, NY
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Hawthorne, NY

Pros

Not very stressful. Easy to get time off for university, or family reasons. Rarely did management demand performance (which is also a con).

Cons

No structure, had no oversight, and wasn't able to grow. Both my direct manager and second manager moved to Google and was left with no actual manager to review my work and assign tasks.

Advice to Management

Need more oversight. This might have been specific for the research project I was working on, but it was extremely unorganized.

7. "Intern at IBM"

Current Intern - Intern
    Current Intern - Intern

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid pay and steady job. Management is flexible about hours and my managers are very welcoming, friendly, and willing to answer questions.

Cons

Work is not challenging or stimulating, not much overlap between teams, office life is not fun for young interns, often run out of things to work on, IBM clearly has trouble retaining young talent. Most of the interns I know in all departments are extremely bored and underutilized. If you are not tech and are not interested in sales, business opportunities are limited.

Advice to Management

Make sure you take advantage of your interns by giving them a chance to contribute with tangible projects. Maybe give them projects from multiple teams so they don't spend too much time on one area of focus, and the chance to work on projects with other interns.

8. "Not A Motivating Environment - But Good Work/Life Balance"

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM as an intern

Pros

My team is young and the people on my team are open to ideas. I have an office to myself and the lunches here have gotten better over the last couple of months. There is a lot of flexibility, opportunities to work from home, and paid vacation days.

Cons

It's very hard to get out of the big corporate idea because it feels like everything we do here is for nothing. The products are old and outdated and very specific to mainframe work.

Everyone here is usually unmotivated and I would say a little lazy. They could benefit from changing their culture to be more like a startup. It would make the place more youthful and fun to work for. The people here are very old and really don't like the idea of thinking outside the box. They prefer the conservative approach.

There are a lot of issues with management deciding what is good for the team or not. They do not listen or even ask their team members what it is they want.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people and start projects that are exciting

9. "Business Analyst Intern"

Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Intern

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked on projects that were important.

Cons

Not much experience that mattered outside those few projects.

Advice to Management

Get Interns involved in more than just "intern" work.

"Terrible Austin Marketing Internship"

Former Intern - Content Marketing Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Content Marketing Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

IBM is a big player in the technology industry. If you have a desire to enter that career field, definitely consider IBM. It has been a constant player, as well as around for over 100 years. They are working hard to stay relevant and continue to change and update as technology is.

Cons

Personally, my internship at the Austin office for a content marketing role was horrible. I had huge expectations going into the experience and constantly was let down. There were 5 interns for a team that had no prior history of having interns. They didn't have enough tasks for all of us, and wasted our time. There was a lack of organization and the whole experience was complete chaos. I was extremely disappointed with the experience, and can say this was my worst internship I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Get organized. My first line manager changed 3 times within my 3 month internship. Although I began to make relationships with higher up employees, there was no consistency nor direction. Have a game plan before internships come onboard and make sure they have tasks for the entire duration of their internship.

Showing 441 of 31,113 reviews