IBM Reviews | Glassdoor

28,689 reviews

Full-time Part-time

28,689 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 850 reviews)

• Working long hours is pretty typical (in 420 reviews)

1. "Great Company with Awesome benefits"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefit package for LGBT+. Great programs specifically for minority groups: Women, LGBT, Minority Men, etc. to help advance your career in a white male dominated culture.

Cons

Working long hours is pretty typical

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

2. "So many great, smart people"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very bright and driven colleagues
    Welcoming of all types of people -- a model of LGBT+ inclusion
    A great opportunity to work with people from all over the world

Cons

Sometimes it's so big it can be difficult to get traction

Advice to Management

Keep transforming and keep making cognitive computing a reality!

3. "Challenging but rewarding work"

Current Employee - Senior Economist in North Castle, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Economist in North Castle, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is a company which takes its 100 year progressive history seriously. Meeting with your boss and our executives on a regular basis to discuss your career track is mandatory and professional training is mandatory as well. We strongly encourage mentor relationships and peer mentoring. Senior management is available for shadowing for a day, one on one meetings and mentoring. Our commitment to LGBTQ issues came on display as IBM joined other tech companies in sending a letter to North Carolina Governor McCrory urging he repeal H.B. 2 in 2016. We were so proud of our commitment to diversity over the decades we took our entire department to watch "Hidden Figures" to see some early IBM involvement in the civil rights era. We are also proud to have Ginni Rometty as the only female CEO in the DowJones30, and the third female member at Augusta National Golf Club home of the Master's Tournament.

I work in an analytics department where we come up with Cognitive solutions to business problems. Our team is incredibly talented and intelligent, but not aloof. Everyone teaches each other on the job, and our ability to tackle data issues has enormously evolved. I love working on an international team with over 10 spoken languages and which hails from 12 different countries.

We have moved into an "agile" space, no more cubes for us in the last 18 months. Our team likes the open environment, easy access to windows and standing desks. Getting a conference room is fairly easy when needed.

Summer time is pure energy as our team of 80 adds 25 interns, most of our social activities occur over the summer as we attempt to recruit future team members.

The team also balances work/life. Most of the younger team members live in NYC and car pool, so they work 8-5 and occasionally log on after hours and working weekends is nearly unheard of, that's your time. We tend to be a social group, we have a potluck lunch every 2 months which is always well attended. After hours have a drinking club in NYC that finds unusual places to eat in NY. We have a softball team, a soccer team, and a trivia team that all meet weekly. We host a service day and a golf outing each once a year, and bowling 2-3 times over the summer. We also have a "What's App" group to go out to see movies.

Cons

We discourage work at home, so our team is always in the office M-Thursday, during the summer we've been more lenient on working from home or working from alternative IBM locations in NYC. Our location is just north of White Plains NY, this is about a 60-80min trip for our NYC members. Get to the office before 9:30am or parking starts to get tight.

4. "Great environment for the LGBT+ Community"

Current Employee - Executive Compensation in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Compensation in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You are allowed and encouraged to be yourself

Cons

- Employees are being required to work from the office now

5. "Solid"

Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Educational opportunities, great people, cutting edge technology, good community involvement. Regular reviews, continuous improvement, focus on the client, good advancement opportunities

Cons

Salaries are a bit soft, hours can be long depending on the projects

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Release Manager-Project Manager in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Release Manager-Project Manager in Dublin, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Innovation, good work/life balance, good benefits, great, wonderful teammates. Watson has the potential to change the world.

Cons

IBM hasn't met their market targets for 20 quarters. Unfortunately, this results in IBM's continued need to lay off workers.

Career opportunities used to be endless with IBM's remote work policy. However, IBM is moving to a collocation philosophy, which makes career moves within the company much more difficult.

Advice to Management

I think management is doing a lot of things right. IBM is investing in innovative and world-altering technology development. There seems to be a lot of churn in the sales team. If you can stabilize that work force, you might be able to turn around those quarterly results and get back on track with revenue goals.

7. "IBM"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Southbury, CT
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Southbury, CT

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Health Care Benefits package options. Generous 401K contributions from the Company. Stock Purchase plan available. Leading edge Technology company that is making a difference in the world, which you can actually see and read about.

Cons

Global workforce, which means you might not ever meet your manager or other members on your team, which means you would need to set up a scheduled call just to talk. Not enough focus on educating the employees for the job they need to perform.

Advice to Management

When dealing with a global workforce, take into consideration all aspects of your teams, some might work from home (although this is changing), and not be informed of all meetings going on. More communication is needed, and guidance to employees (regardless of how many years in the company they have).

8. "Solid company if you love what you do"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Massive company with great benefits and almost endless opportunities

Cons

- Hard to be passionate about enterprise software and hardware
    - Management can be rigid

9. "Managing Partner"

Current Employee - Managing Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Partner in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love working for a Cloud and Cognitive enterprise!!!

Cons

You must be a continuous learner -- and enjoy the excitement of learning.

10. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Retired in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Retired in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A mixed and varied career. Left in 2007 but do not seem to be able to sellect that here.

Cons

Things got a little pressured near the end of my career

Advice to Management

None

Showing 28,689 of 30,482 reviews