IBM Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 20, 2017

intern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

1. "Summit Intern 2017"

Current Intern - digital sales intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - digital sales intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM is a leading innnovation company that inspired me to constantly be curious, agile and informed. If you love to learn, IBM is the company for you. Which is why it fit me so well. There are so many facets to the business at IBM that knowing it all would take years of dedicated research. That's why its essential to be curious. The business is ever-changing which creates challenges but employees are acknowledged for their ability to adapt to changes. Its overall a very rewarding company to work for.

Cons

Every role feels like a cog in the wheel of business. There is autonomy to an extent, but that's the disadvantage of working at any extremely large, global company.

2. "Meh"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

Uhhhh:

- It's easy to be a high performer here. Most people slack off and put in the minimum.
    - Flexible hours, as well as the option to work from home twice a week.
    - Some office locations have free snacks and drinks. Sometimes. They're usually out of stock.
    - O'Reilly subscription is nice.

Cons

If you're a fresh grad engineer, I'd stay away from this place for the following reasons:

- Not a great place to grow. I have yet to see any agile practices be utilized. No mentorship. I hardly have anyone to turn to when I get stuck because the number of skilled engineers here are few and far between.

- Watson is overhyped and overrated. I honestly don't even know how they've managed to spin this thing as AI. It's far from it.

- Lack of career guidance, mentorship, and challenging work.

- Future is full of uncertainty and layoffs are typical.

- If you work in Bay Area or NYC, your compensation will be terrible. San Francisco employees' base salary is only 20% higher than Raleigh employees, yet the COL in SF is 90% higher.

- Leadership sucks. I've met my manager's boss once or twice. I've yet to come across a tech lead, engineering manager, director, or VP. The CEO of IBM came to our office for a "town hall" meeting and only a handful of people were invited.

- Details of your full time offer will be a toss-up. The location and role will be completely out of your hands. Managers within the organization aren't even allowed to seek you out individually and recruit you. Nor can you seek out them. I was told to "trust the process" after telling them what kind of work I'm interested in.

3. "A truly large company that can be easy to get lost in"

Former Intern - Applications Development Intern in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Intern - Applications Development Intern in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Resources, Opportunities, Coworkers, Stability, Travel

Cons

Corporation, Work-Life Balance, Small fish

4. "Great Research Environment Not Enough Free Food"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible facilities, very smart researchers, good talks, understanding management.

Cons

Not quite enough free stuff.

Advice to Management

Give the interns a T-Shirt! Keep up everything else that you do. I loved my 12 weeks at IBM Research.

5. "Going in the right direction, but still some legacy stuff remains"

Current Intern - Research Intern
    Current Intern - Research Intern

I have been working at IBM as an intern

Pros

Very smart people, great management, interesting work.

Cons

A bit more bureaucratic than most, relatively low pay, not as much free stuff

Advice to Management

pay interns more!!! also free food would be nice ....

6. "Excellent!"

Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Armonk, NY
    Former Intern - Financial Analyst Intern in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

Everyone was willing to help.
    It was great interacting with people from all over the world on a daily basis in order to get work done.

Cons

The company is not performing too well in markets

7. "Digital Strategy Intern"

Current Intern - Digital Strategy Intern in Armonk, NY
    Current Intern - Digital Strategy Intern in Armonk, NY

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They really encourage you to learn all of the different offerings that IBM has to offer and where the company is heading towards (cloud and cognitive). I knew nothing about the tech field and I can proudly say that I can speak to multiple faucets within cloud computing and AI.

Cons

Work is slow sometimes and you may be bored occasionally.

8. "A peek into corporate life"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship was a fascinating peek into big corporations: the processes, and the organization.

The location was great (Pangu Plaza in Beijing). My co-workers were all true professionals. I never had issues with HR or misc. administrative stuff.

The company intranet was a treasure chest of knowledge if you know where to look. I took several course and found at least half of them useful.

My manager gave me a lot of freedom time-wise and focus-wise. I was also told that the flexibility was a general theme of work culture at IBM, at least in the sales team.

Cons

The autonomy was both a blessing and a curse. As someone new to sales, I wish there were more guidance about where to start and how to start a conversation with a client.

I came at a time when IBM was pivoting to cloud services from server hardware. Being on the hardware team, I found finding a sales pitch difficult as there simply wasn't much integration between the server hardware and the great services they were providing.

Advice to Management

Not sure where the market stands now but I think with the premium that IBM's server hardware commands, IBM should promote a package of hardware and services instead keeping the teams mostly separate.

9. "Marketing Intern"

Current Employee - Intern Marketing in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Intern Marketing in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Good place for work. Diverse and fun.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy as expected. Like any other big company.

10. "Internship at IBM"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I was put on a very supportive team that offered me a lot of opportunities to be heavily involved in many projects

Cons

IBM is a big company with a very confusing structure. It is a lot to adjust to in a short time- they joke that by the time you get the hang of it the internship ends!

Advice to Management

One thing that made my internship so effective compared to others was I had a direct mentor who was very dedicated to helping me gain exposure and involvement. Other interns who did not have someone looking out for them directly felt they were more overlooked.

Showing 501 of 33,929 reviews