IBM Reviews in Richmond, VA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Business Operations Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Operations Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Respect for the individual employee, and leadership in technology (think) are core principles at IBM

Cons

IBM is forgetting it's corporate history, and what made it a great company

Advice to Management

stop managing to the stock price

2. "Global SAP Cloud Architect"

Former Employee - Global SAP Cloud Architect in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Global SAP Cloud Architect in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team problem solving,company resources, IT trend setter

Cons

Management, relentless business pressure, extreme profit orientation

3. "Tech Lead"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Job support, I was picked up as a full time Employee after one year. Able to work from home on most accounts

Cons

Helping to find another after being with them for three years would have been nice, but it seemed Cobol jobs are very limited in the Richmond, Va

"Server Engineer"

Former Employee - Server Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Server Engineer in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IBM was great when I first started in 2005. It wen down hill 3 years later. Good health care benefits. The only thing that made me stick around was I had a great manager.

Cons

Constantly outsourcing. Have to hand hold India staff. No accountability for offshore staff and their inability. No work life balance. Upper management constantly trying to work exempt staff 60 hours a week. Pay raises and/or bonuses are years apart if you get one. IBM focused on doing the least amount of work possible for the contract. They don't supply the software/tools to do the job. Only way to get tools is if it was freeware. There was no career path. I was stuck doing the same thing for years and losing my skill set. Getting cut from IBM was the best thing that ever happened with IBM. I attended 2 training classes in the 10 years I was there. And that was in the fist 3 years before it fell apart.

Advice to Management

Do the job you were contracted to do and stop with excuses about the customer. Staff onshore accordingly for the work you contracted to do. If you do a good job on the contract in the fist place you can set your contract prices higher. Not low ball to keep the contract. Invest in your employees and train them.

5. "System Analyst"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company size, opportunity, matrixed work environment. Great training opportunities and benefits. Well respected company name.

Cons

Impersonal with significant leadership changes. Thinning of management levels should lead to greater company flexibility and speed to market. Instead it is still creating hesitancy as management levels are reluctant to exercise their new decision making responsibilities.

6. "programmer job"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

good work conditions good managemnt

Cons

contract cut short due to client

7. "Great"

Former Employee - Senior SAP FICO Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior SAP FICO Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Can be more flexible than what it is now

8. "Delivery manager"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

access to an incredible amount of information, access to training, and a chance to work with some of the most brilliant people on earth

Cons

It takes a while to understand the culture; without good connections is hard to find your next assignment or get ahead

Advice to Management

listen more to the people doing the work, be transparent to the clients, and look on the ground not the skies

"Word of the day while subcontracting for IBM ... furlough"

Former Contractor - SAS Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Former Contractor - SAS Consultant in Richmond, VA

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

While working as a subcontractor had its advantages at times since these is no cooling off period since you work for IBM instead of the financial company directly. This allowed me to be there almost four years with no gaps.

Cons

To increase their bottom line they would ask that you take 40 hours off UNPAID each quarter. From what I understood the contract they had with the financial company was to provide service for a set fee so even though we were not being paid they still were. We were also asked to not tell the financial company we worked for that we were required to take UNPAID time off.

Advice to Management

Stopping telling your contractors that you need to do this to continue the services while at the same time having billions in profit for the quarter.

"Hard labor. Boss, I wish you stop being so good to me....."

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Richmond, VA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a great deal of prestige and resources. The consultants you work with are knowledgably and friendly. The pay is fair and reasonable. You can work from home or office (when you are in town).

Cons

I saw a pattern of under-bidding projects and under-estimating manhours. It resulted in a typical work week being 55+ hours. Sales people knew they could make up for lost revenue in following quarters in the customer billing cycle. In my role, I had to travel, and travel time to Customer Site was treated as personal time, and did not factor into my reported work hours. Expect long hours every week.

Also, I found management to be hands off and most employees are encouraged to be SELF MANAGE in all aspects of your employment. If you have any questions about time sheets, expense reports, training, performance assessments, and so forth, then you'll leverage your network of co-workers to learn what you need to get done. Your manager will be a full time consultant on another project, and your manager will NOT know you. And do not expect to your manager to take an interest, given they need to manage you AND their job. The middle managers are good people, but over-burden.

Travel is challenging. You will schedule and build your trip itinerary. Hotel, Air, and Car must be in policy. Policy means you are taking the cheapest AIR (you're offered no non-stops and Sunday travel for east coast assignments), and IBM's prefer HOTEL is Holiday Inns (no Hiltons or Marriotts), and expect to be audited every 6 months - ALWAYS save your receipts - I did and never had an issue.

And IBM's mantra is STAY BILLABLE. If you're being ask to work on a bid and proposal, you're asked to do it on your own time. The Directors and VPs are demanding everyone be 110% billable meaning NO VACATION and MANDATORY OVERTIME. Forget your family and community involvement.

And given our Company is losing money (5 consecutive quarters) and how can it maintain its level of revenue. You can cut cost only so much. And you see it selling hard assets. Many of us are wondering where the new revenue will be coming from (so are the Wall Street Analyst). Watson has been a failure. There's initiatives for Cloud and Big Data, but they are heavily reliant on self training. And where can you find time to train when we are expected to always be billable. And IBM hourly rates (IBM bills me at $250 / hour), can be found locally at lesser rate.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management - we need to return to being managers of people, instead of processes. You can see it in the way Middle Management\Project Manager\etc. handle their resources by being hands off. When IBM conducts layoffs, VPs make decisions based on numbers. It's not run like a business, but like a spreadsheet.

Showing 15 of 35,836 reviews