IBM Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 880 reviews)

• Working long hours is pretty typical (in 429 reviews)

1. "Senior Sales Software Representative"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am an organized and collaborative worker. Using my internal virtual team as well as my partner network to make sure the customer is satisfied with our solution and implementation process.

Cons

I am a perfectionist- I need to be okay with not going back over and over to make sure it is exactly perfect.

Advice to Management

I like knowing what my work expectations are and feedback is always welcome. I work hard and don't need constant direction.

"You are expendable"

Former Contractor - Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Contractor - Sales Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at IBM as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best professionals you will ever work with.

Cons

The company is in a downward spiral due to 21 consecutive earnings decline. They are getting rid of hard working - long time employees using any excuse possible. The company is bleeding talent trying to fix what the previous CEO did (Roadmap 2015) to improve dividend payouts. The job market place is reaping the benefits of their poor decisions.

Advice to Management

Quit the talent bleed and reinvest in R&D and customer care. Only hiring millennials to replace experienced workers will only hurt the bottom line.

"Security Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Security Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Security Sales Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

IBM Reputation with existing customers, technology

Cons

Management that is cross pollinated into different divisions where they have no technical expertise to run a business unit. Questions around ethics of management

Advice to Management

I went to IBM as a highly experienced sales personand it was a nightmare. I found that I was nothing more than a head count hold for my manager who was concerned with his own advancement and was an ethical nightmare. when I tried to escalate my concerns I was told by a divisional VP that if he was to get involved it would only get worse for me on a local level. The second half of the year, I was lied to by my manager about putting me on a plan had my quota raised to astronomical levels I couldn't meet and was forced out of the organization. BTW I was sent to IBM Advanced sales training while this was going on and my manager never finalized my expenses . I thought this was the last and best stop on my career and it was a nightmare.....

"Software Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Director, Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Director, Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technology, R&D, and name recognition

Cons

IBM sells in Silo's, doesn't "team" with other groups to sell to it's customers, does not get organic growth, and employees are just a number that are expendable every year in January to make shareholders happy and the balance the financials.

Advice to Management

Streamline the number of people who get paid on a deal by getting rid of people on an account who do nothing to close a sales deal.

5. "Technical Sales"

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Education, Training, Industry Skills, Latest Software Skills

Cons

Stress, Travel, Long Hours, Politics

6. "Working for IBM is great for career advancement and professional development"

Former Employee - Client Relationship Representative/Sales/Operations/Consultant in Dulles, VA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy the various career advancement and the outstanding professional development

Cons

Numerous cycles of lay offs

Advice to Management

Show more compassion to those who get laid off

7. "IBM Global Services Salary Comparison"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in Tampa, FL

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy on-boarding, lot's of self autonomy, strong compensation packages, great benefits, liberal vacation policy

Cons

Too many required conference calls, slim resources through management for training, unrealistic annual goals, too many re-orgs and down-sizings only to re-hire again. Management is aloof and doesn't engage with reports, hard to get internal information, have to rely on the rumor mill. IBM thinks when you walk in the client's door for the first time the sale is 50% over on name recognition. Discontinuing products without fair warning to sales team.

Advice to Management

Clean some of the old guard who aren't producing but work the system to stay employed. Move them to challenging positions so they can't snooze on the job. Develop a better employee review process beyond 1 person's view. Ease travel restrictions for professionals, too much accounting time in expense reports. Get better control of HELP desk for communication equipment issues.

8. "Decent place to work, but if you are tops in your field you will not get the financial recognition"

Current Employee - Consulting Software Sales Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consulting Software Sales Specialist in Washington, DC

Pros

In the sales organization they treat people decently. It won't get fires for missing your quota once. You will not be given too hard a time about using your vacation, but in sales expect that June and December are vacation no-no's.

Cons

lack to real financial incentives to truely excel. Socialization of pay.

Advice to Management

stop managing by individual quarters. think bigger, and pay people well to seriously over achieve.

9. "SAP Sales and Distribution Consultant"

Former Employee - SAP Sales and Distribution Consultant in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - SAP Sales and Distribution Consultant in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of opportunities to learn and develop your skills

Cons

Career growth is bleak, especially if you do not have industry experience

"Not a bad start to a career"

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Technical Consultant
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Technical Consultant

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning opportunities, good people, flexible, good work life balance, lots of different opportunities

Cons

Too much admin, management constantly changing for the sake of change, measured in lots of the wrong ways