IBM Reviews in Smyrna, GA | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance especially to new mothers" (in 1085 reviews)

• "Low Salary growth in comparison" (in 528 reviews)

"Digital Sales Summit Program Review"

Current Employee - Digital Sales - Summit Trainee in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Digital Sales - Summit Trainee in Smyrna, GA

Pros

Training effectiveness: IBM commits 6-9 months of devoted training time to new hires for their sales roles if you are an coming out of school, and 3 months for experienced hires. It is a wealth of knowledge and their is a lot of development that you receive through this program.

Mentorship: This really boils down to personal experience, but not for a lack of availability. The people here are definitely open to be mentors during your time at IBM, and they will continue to work with you if you show initiative during your time.

How Summits are treated: It is really nice to come to work and have a big group of other summit hires that you work alongside (this may be different depending on where you work). They provide you with enough resources to succeed, and continually try to improve the experience.

Shadowing experiences: This is up to you. It is highly encouraged for you to reach out to other IBMers. IBMers will be open to this, for the most part. They are very valuable because IBM is such a large company. There are tons of shadowing opportunities that can lead to opportunities or a deeper level of understanding.

Sales training & curriculum: This is very extensive. They have 6-9 months of training about sales methodology, IBM products, IBM processes, and building a strong foundation of knowledge. You will get what you put into the experience.

Hands-on (in-field) experience: The training gives you experience in around 20 client conversations with sales advisors (IBM employees who were very successful salers). They believe that you learn by doing, and this environment is conducive to a less-pressured approach to just learn, and succeed when you do go on quota.

Quality of peer group: There are tons of smart, hard-working, and very nice employees. For me, the people that I work with are great. They challenge me and do so positively.

Interview: I spoke with an IBM representative at a college networking event, completed a phone interview, and attended a hiring event that gave more information about IBM, included 4 interviews, and a team presentation. I was given an offer a month later.

Community culture: IBM is changing a lot. Before really understanding IBM, I had a skewed view of the culture. It is a great culture for me: collaborative, hard-working, and generally trying to improve as people.

Cons

Training effectiveness: This program is really tailored to client-facing sellers. There is a gap in training for digital sellers. There is training that is supplemental for digital sellers, but it can be improved to greater address learning gaps.

Mentorship: None.

How Summits are treated: Some sellers will be hired directly onto teams. Others will need to get the job at IBM, and then they will need to connect with a team to work for after training. It is a little frustrating to think about and act on, but is definitely good practice to connect with a lot of other people at IBM.

Shadowing experiences: If you ask, you can find good experiences, but you have to provide value if you can.

Sales training & curriculum: N/A.

Hands-on (in-field) experience: It would be nice to have set in-field experience, but this really depends on the teams which is why it isn't scheduled as part of the official training.

Quality of peer group: Some may not enjoy or click with their group. There are a lot of people that work at IBM.

Teaching team: N/A

Management style and effectiveness: There may be some micro-managing, but it depends on your team and manager.

Interview: It was frustrating in terms of timeline. They would not be very good at communicating what was happening. I received duplicate messages from different people, and some logistical conflicts. I suggest being proactive about reaching out to your contacts to confirm next steps, follow up, and stay top-of-mind for the recruiters. I wouldn't just bother them, but show them that you are committed and able to provide value by reiterating your fit at IBM. It was also a very rigorous process during the hiring process.

Community culture: A lot of working here is learning how to find and work with people internally. Some sellers may not want to share information because they will be worried about you taking over the client relationship or it is not worth their time to help you with a deal. I say this because working here has another layer of learning how to be effective internally.

Advice to Management

I am grateful for the opportunity and investment IBM has trusted me with, and I will be interested to see better processes in internal initiatives and the impact they have on the employees.

2. "Services Client Rep"

Current Employee - Services Client Representative in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Services Client Representative in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are wonderful, bright and professional. First Line Managers in my experience are superb.

Cons

Quarterly layoffs since IBM hasn't hit Wall Street earnings for 22 straight quarters. There is no job security here. Quotas have been set so high the sales force isn't earning any commissions in comparison to past years; this is a way of cost savings. IBM is a depressing place to work when you know regardless of your effort they will blow you out eventually. IBM no longer hires seasoned professionals - they only hire young people under 30, again as a way of cost savings via salary. In GTS if you close a deal it has to go to a War Room internally to see if they have the internal resources to execute. Nobody is happy here. Ginni the CEO is the worst and high level management simply doesn't care - they just protect their piece of the pie while the ongoing layoffs continue.

Advice to Management

Dear Management - you won't change, you are there to get your bonus and you simply don't care about your people. My advice to management, bring in an outsider for CEO and then clean house at the senior leadership levels in order to save this dying company. 22 straight quarters of declining revenue - outrageous for a Fortune 30 company to not perform.

3. "Not The Same"

Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great training, great benefits, good products and services.

Cons

"Blue tape" at every turn, extensive overlapping of responsibilities, family values lacking.

"Sr Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Previous to the last 7 years Respected as an individual- work life balance- thank yous and rewards for hard work

Cons

No work life balance more of a sweat shop mentality No rewards or Thank You's Everyone must work in the office now. 20+ years later they are laying off in droves all the hardworking and talented people that gave so much to the company with a months severence. No respect for the individual you have managers talking among themselves about your personal issues-supposedly to be protected by HIPPA.

Advice to Management

Upper management does not care its all about the money for them Lower Management removed from employees because of pressure from the top to snap the whips on the employee

5. "Run From Big Blue"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Smyrna, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World class products, very good managers, very smart people and superior brand recognition. Whatever I sell to a Client is an excellent product or service.

Cons

Endless huge layoffs, morale is gone, the company is cheap - they do not care about their employees and are running scared in the market.

Advice to Management

Management does not speak to the front line sales guys - they sit in their ivory tower tying to enhance their own spreadsheet to hit their number. Clients provide revenue, clients drive profit. Quit trying to focus on Wall Street and start focusing on the needs of the client.

6. "My Observation"

Former Employee - Remote Technical Support Specialist in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Remote Technical Support Specialist in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

An Excellent company to work for. Employee well fare, training professional growth were a priority to them while maintaining excellent customer satisfaction.

Cons

Down turns on the economy is making most companies unstable.

Advice to Management

Did not see any issue with the Management

"Smyrna Call Center Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Services Sales Representative in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Services Sales Representative in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM offers great benefits to its employees - affordable healthcare, purchasing discounts, sick leave, 401K and stock purchase plans.

Cons

Beware of success. If you perform a job well at the Smyrna Call Center, you will be consigned to that role forever unless you do so serious internal politicking. You have managers who've never done the roles they manage and therefore lack any ability to relate to the sales reps or understand what it takes to meet/exceed your quota. I personally encountered some of the most dysfunctional, petty first line managers in my entire sales career. At least two (2) desperately needed therapy (world class narcissists) and had no business managing people. Also, the Smyrna location is a haven for positions awarded through entitlement, not skill. In the words of another manager who left, "If you are not a manager here, you are not a citizen." I was not a citizen. I left after five years and never looked back.

Advice to Management

MBWA. Manage by walking around. Get out of your cubicle. Find out what it REALLY takes to fill a pipeline and close a deal. Do and say what is right for the business and customer, not just what is politically correct your position and year end bonus. Don't just say what the BUE (Business Unit Executive) wants to hear. Stop being petty and expand your business paradigm.

8. "IBM Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits. Large corporation. Ability to work from home / remote for many jobs.

Cons

Many support jobs are rapidly going away. Would not recommend applying for support jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep more jobs in the US. Your customers are not fond of speaking to offshore folks.

"Service Desk Lead"

Former Employee - IT Service Delivery/Availability Lead in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - IT Service Delivery/Availability Lead in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is an industry leader with great ties to the community and ample growth opportunities. Many employees have been with the company over 20 years.

Cons

It seems that the company is now ran by accountants and therefore the focus on customers and employees ( people) has been lost. Decisions are constantly made with the major focus on the shareholders. The stability factor has been lost.

Advice to Management

I doubt that you made it to where you are by neglecting the people that built you. Focus needs to be redirected back to the people. Happy employees = Happy customers = Happy shareholder. You won't last another 100 years if you keep throwing your people out like trash.

10. "Good place to work, but management seems to fabricate the truth to employees."

Former Employee - Storage Support in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Storage Support in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Access to new hardware technology and database.

Cons

Management is not trustworthy when it comes to informing employees.

Advice to Management

Need to overhaul work/life balance

Showing 20 of 43,612 reviews