IBM Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 936 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 446 reviews)

1. "good environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My fellow employees are great to work with. love working for them. they pay extremely well in my opinion. very clean environment

Cons

Costs like health care and commuting keep rising, with no pay raises to even keep things even. not many other cons

2. "Great company overall. Just few issues"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are mostly great to work with. Very reasonable and goal oriented.

Cons

No way to negotiate salary or increases

3. "IBM is a great company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a number of projects and initiatives that you can take advantage of outside of your "day job." They reward based on performance and that has always been a selling point. I had a recent opportunity to participate in the Corporate Services Corp (CSC) program and travel to Senegal for a month to provide free consulting services. I also had an opportunity several years ago to do a three month assignment in Hursley, England and work with my product's development team. There are non-travel assignments as well that you participate in and the culture for innovation is very much encouraged.

Cons

The down side of working for IBM is changing jobs. It is sometimes very difficult to change jobs within IBM.

4. "Software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbus, OH

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of room to grow

Cons

The company holds on to old tech stacks

Advice to Management

keep young developers interested

5. "Senior Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for growth and work-life balance

Cons

Too many processes can slow down learning and making a difference

6. "Good"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Littleton, MA
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work and nice building.

Cons

None so far to say

7. "Flexible and Inflexible"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of discretion is granted to managers. This often results in very good flexibility.

Cons

IBM mandates company-wide technology choices which are badly dated and manifestly cost me significant time. I am less productive because we must use one of two email clients, both of which lack basic keyboard short cuts to archive or otherwise quickly sort email. As a result I must touch every message, and I get many messages.

Advice to Management

IBM is big enough where different business units should have more control over their tool choices. Mandating company wide conformance slows change and adoption of best-or-breed solutions.

8. "Constant Layoffs"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We were allowed to work remotely but it ended right after the layoffs.
    Pay was above average.
    Some really good people worked there.

Cons

Layoffs. First month I was there, they laid off 10% of my department, layoffs continued all year long.

Constant focus changes from C levels. CEO and her managers are to blame for this company failing month after month. 22 months of decline, its obvious its the upper management that needs to be "laid off".

Management were told to do mandatory PIP ( Performance Improvement Plans ) on N number of people. I saw the email. It is highly unethical.

They accidentally posted their plan on slack saying they outsourcing our jobs overseas, then they said "oh we not.." yet few months later.. they did. They Lie directly to the employees.

The new C level came to the office once, talked for a full hour on "How her son is doing, and how he is the best son ever." Then 5 minutes of sales need to increase by 400%, then tells no one what the plan is. After the 5 minutes, she went back talking about her son. I wish I was joking on this. This is not leadership, it is a friends of friends network.

Advice to Management

Advice to the board: Split the company up, sell the good parts off. Totally clean house on C levels. I wouldnt invest in this disfunctional company if it was a free loan to buy stocks.
    Advice to management: Please fire yourself, and do not give yourself millions on the way out.
    Advice to Current Employees: Have an exit plan ready. They will layoff people at anytime, INCLUDING holidays.

"A Great Place To Start, But Don't Linger"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has attracted some incredible employees. Everyone worked very hard and are always willing to help. It uses a lot of leading edge technologies, that if an employee really takes time to learn them, will endow a person with great skills. There are lots of documentation, training materials, and videos that will enable you to do your job adequately. Getting mentored is readily available, but you have to be persistent to work with the person you choose.

Cons

IBM is definitely no longer what it used to be.
    1) There were layoffs constantly, so, you spent a good portion of the time worrying about if you will have a job. Stability was not there. The 10 years I was there, there were at least 1 "resource action" (as they would call layoffs) every year. I was finally laid off in 2016.
    2) PBC system, the method for rating employee performance was incredibly flawed. Apparently, management predetermines how many 1s (best), 2s, 3s (worse), etc, that they will give in a year. So, that usually meant that it didn't matter how hard you worked, your score more or less was pre-determined. Thankfully, it does appear they were getting rid of the PBC system. The new system was implemented 2016, so I was never evaluated by that system.
    3) There is NO work-life-balance. IBM touted this as an important aspect of taking care of their employees. Interestingly enough, they changed the term later to "work-life-INTEGRATION".
    4) Upper management does not seem to know what direction to take the products. I saw products that could have been great, and could have been a dominant force in the arena they played in, be left for dead. Notes/Domino, that messaging system could have been something great. WebSphere/WebSphere Portal is in danger of one day not being relevant.
     5) Constantly laying off people eventually meant that product quality would suffer, and the products did suffer!
    6) There seems to be too much concern for huge customers when it came to supporting the products, but not enough attention paid to smaller companies. You would often see a situation where fixes were only given to 1 or 2 customers.
    7) The company was more reactionary than proactive. In supporting customers, it seems like there was a habit of responding to customers that screamed the loudest. So, that meant, customers would frequently abuse the "critical situation" protocols because they knew that was the only way to get attention.
    8) Management is not really supportive of their employees. You might even have a manager use an employee as a scapegoat for when something has gone wrong in a customer's environment.
    9) Low morale among employees were brought about by the constant layoffs, not very competitive salaries (software engineers were routinely paid 20% below market), lack of ability to move around the company, and no bonuses.

Advice to Management

Management, please, pay attention to the key things that really make a company successful:
    1) Employees
    2) Customers
    They really have to listen to the inputs of these 2 parties in order to ensure a long-lasting future.

"Great company and great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can take on so many different jobs and positions during your career at IBM. And the benefits are great - from health care, maternity/parental leave, 401K, dependent care and more. The flexibility was amazing during the years I was having my three children.

Cons

You can get lost in such a big company. You need to take charge of your own career.