IBM Software Engineering Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 939 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 447 reviews)

1. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Has large variety of projects and many different sub cultures within company.

Cons

Their internal tech is outdated, though they're slowly catching back up.

2. "Meh"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

Uhhhh:

- It's easy to be a high performer here. Most people slack off and put in the minimum.
    - Flexible hours, as well as the option to work from home twice a week.
    - Some office locations have free snacks and drinks. Sometimes. They're usually out of stock.
    - O'Reilly subscription is nice.

Cons

If you're a fresh grad engineer, I'd stay away from this place for the following reasons:

- Not a great place to grow. I have yet to see any agile practices be utilized. No mentorship. I hardly have anyone to turn to when I get stuck because the number of skilled engineers here are few and far between.

- Watson is overhyped and overrated. I honestly don't even know how they've managed to spin this thing as AI. It's far from it.

- Lack of career guidance, mentorship, and challenging work.

- Future is full of uncertainty and layoffs are typical.

- If you work in Bay Area or NYC, your compensation will be terrible. San Francisco employees' base salary is only 20% higher than Raleigh employees, yet the COL in SF is 90% higher.

- Leadership sucks. I've met my manager's boss once or twice. I've yet to come across a tech lead, engineering manager, director, or VP. The CEO of IBM came to our office for a "town hall" meeting and only a handful of people were invited.

- Details of your full time offer will be a toss-up. The location and role will be completely out of your hands. Managers within the organization aren't even allowed to seek you out individually and recruit you. Nor can you seek out them. I was told to "trust the process" after telling them what kind of work I'm interested in.

3. "SDE Intern"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work-life balance in IBM

Cons

Bad codebase is not good in IBM

Advice to Management

It's ok.

4. "Software Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Littleton, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Littleton, MA

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great Place,Team Work Environment,Learning Oppurtunity

Cons

Too Many people and delay to get all approvals

5. "Software Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Jose, CA

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

It's an awesome place to work.

Cons

There are not enough young people.

Advice to Management

Try to recruit more young people.

6. "Co-OP Experience"

Current Intern - Intern Software Engineer
    Current Intern - Intern Software Engineer

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Working for IBM has been an amazing experience. I've had the opportunity to meet some amazing people within the company. After my first intern semester with them, they offered me another internship with the ability to work at home remotely. I couldn't have wished for a better company to work for.

Cons

IBM had a Hiring freeze with has put my full-time offer on hold. Sucks when your friends from other companies got offers after 3 months and I've been here for a year with no offers.

Advice to Management

I would recommend looking into setting up a directory to help find people within IBM who specialize in the specific language who can help other members from other teams. Also Send out full-time offers quicker

7. "Software Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Really great people and relationships made here
    + IBMers are very open to help each other
    + Work/life balance is fantastic
    + Lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

- Using proprietary tools can hinder opportunity to learn new relevant technologies
    - Pay/benefits are very low compared to other tech companies

Advice to Management

IBM is losing a lot of great talent/opportunity for great talent to other tech companies, so offer a more competitive salary/work environment package to attract, retain, and reward the employees that make the company so great.

8. "Unbelievable Talent at Explorys-IBM"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at IBM (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to work with extremely talented engineers using the latest technologies. The company is aiming to make the world better which makes going to work easier.

Cons

Its difficult to understand who does what. It seemed as though clearly defined roles were not present.

Advice to Management

Make a map of the workflow and define roles to allow new workers to understand the company without having to figure it out on their own.

IBM Response

Sep 12, 2016 – VP, Communications

Thanks for your comment - we're glad you had a good experience in working with our talented engineers. We're really proud of our IBM colleagues. Our Think Fridays and other education offerings in... More

9. "Watson is a Great Organization Weighed Down by the Rest of IBM"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

- Watson has an excellent design team and I appreciate the recent focus on design.
    - My teammates are motivated, have a good work-life balance, and are fun to be around.
    - They tried very hard to make the intern program fun and to bring us together socially. There were intern presentations, Main Event night, boat on Lake Austin.
    - Pay was very good.

Cons

- Required to use internal dev tools like BlueMix that lower our productivity because they always crash.
    - As an intern I came to the office every day but most workers at IBM "work from home" very often. I've heard that it's even worse outside of Watson.
    - Pay arrived late, especially the promised Lump Sum Travel Reimbursement, which arrived 2 months after I had arrived.
    - Senior management seems disconnected from reality on the ground. For example, there was a two-day intern finale event. They decided that the interns would spend paid work hours bagging rice for charity (which I think could be a great idea). They set a goal for 10,000 rice packets and we didn't pack that many during the scheduled events. The organizers were supposed to help with the whole process, but they didn't seem to care once the Instagram pictures were taken. So the rep from the charity was basically abandoned to pack the last 1,000 and pack it onto a truck.
    - Lots of "not my problem" attitude about cleaning up common areas, sharing training data, etc. Most people are just concerned with their individual team.

Advice to Management

Watson: try to escape from the bloated administrative and onboarding steps associated with global IBM. You have already done this a little bit by adopting Github and Slack; I say to go even further.

10. "Software Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great experience, the site I was at had a startup feel with all the benefits of a large corporation that had a large pool of talent

Cons

They did not have funding to offer me a return offer the next year