IBM Software Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Software Test Specialist Intern in Armonk, NY
    Former Intern - Software Test Specialist Intern in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Is a good company developing amazing projects in the security field. I had a good experience, I learned a lot of their products and their technologies. They use Macbooks, haha! I made a Python script for the IBM QRadar® SIEM.

Cons

I didn't find any cons during my internship. I loved my experience there.

2. "Diversity Over Productivity"

Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist

I worked at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to obtain customer appointments

Cons

There has been an ongoing purge of non-LGBT, older, white males. Job productivity is immaterial.

Advice to Management

Focus on experience and value instead of diversity quotas.

"Used to be a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some great people at the company, great brand and rich heritage

Cons

Becoming a very aggressive culture... lots of lay offs, targeting more senior and expensive personnel, lots of people being fired for not achieving outrageous and unrealistic sales targets

Advice to Management

Focus more on the customer and less on internal calls; focus less on financially engineering revenue; start giving sales people targets they can actually achieve.

4. "Not The Same"

Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Smyrna, GA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great training, great benefits, good products and services.

Cons

"Blue tape" at every turn, extensive overlapping of responsibilities, family values lacking.

"Software Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Software Sales Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, the variety, the customers are all awesome!

Cons

Too many reorganizations, ineffective management(!), unrealistic understanding from management of what is really going on in the field and unwillingness to listen to the people who are interacting with customers on a daily basis; hiring of too many inexperienced Client Executives who are supposed to be the key contact with many high level customer executive managers, and as a result, are ineffective - period; this has hurt many account relationships and resulted in lost business; so frustrating for the account team selling specialist solutions to these customers

Advice to Management

Get your act together. How can you keep a CEO who has missed targets for (how many?) 19 quarters?! And comes from the services background, not products - I believe this results in a fundamental misunderstanding of what IBM needs to get back on a positive path forward.

6. "Rollercoaster ride"

Current Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High base salary and great solution portfolio. Customers are excited to hear about what IBM is doing within their peer group.

Cons

There are Constant changes in territories and management that make it difficult to close business and earn comission. Mora is also impact by the constant changes.

Advice to Management

Retain more sellers.

"Great Start, but not a long term loyal company"

Former Employee - Software Brand Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Software Brand Sales Specialist

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IBM has great benefits and higher paying salaries. The support structure is great, when you need help there is always someone that is there. It is a true team approach and you can work with amazing and very talented people. The solutions sets are excellent. Some of my managers were great to work for and great people.

Cons

I was first hired without any IT experience, but they took a chance on my sales skills. I went through 2 "Sales" training courses, but never any IT training. When it came time for me to learn the software that I would sell, I was given some links and basically told to teach myself. Not very productive way to learn IT.

Some of the managers you wouldn't ask for them for water if you were blazing on fire.

I represented solutions that had a long sales cycle, up to a year in some cases, but in the 2 years that I was there my territory was changed 4 times with 3 different managers. Hardly a way to help you be successful. Then management decided to change to vertical market segmentation, which is a wise long term concept, but without any consideration of geography or existing customer relationships. So while I was in South Florida, it was better to fly someone in to take over a strong client that was down the street from me and then make me fly to California for 60% of my new territory. It's funny that one of the close clients I had, was taken over by a colleague from Chicago and then 3 months later that person was laid off. So short story made long, not very positive approach to client relationships.

Commission schedules changed so often and never to the benefit of the sales person, who is motivated by that same very compensation. You could be working on a million dollar deal, but since they decided to change territories...(again) they felt you should still feel honored to close that deal for the now lowered 1% commission as opposed to what you would have made before.

This major change was only followed up by massive layoffs of the sales force. Granted I was only there 2.6 years, but there was some amazing performers and great people that were all let go. The layoffs were for budgetary reasons, but it wasn't long before the job listings were posted to refill our positions. I actually got a call from someone asking how I like working for my manager, not knowing that I was about to be laid off.

Advice to Management

When you hire a sales professional, consider training them on the solutions rather than just more sales training.
    When you make drastic territory changes, take into consideration the relationship with the client, the geography and proximity to those clients which helps build stronger relationships.
    When you lay off good people, don't tell them they are welcome to search for other positions within the company, if there is no way they would ever be hired for that position as someone who is about to be laid off.
    If the sales cycle for a solution is 9 months, don't change territories at 6 months.
    Don't make your sales force to put in phony opportunities, just to build up appearance of a pipeline, then complain when the opportunity isn't progressing.

8. "Senior Software Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Software Defined Storage Specialist in Spring Grove, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, wonderful customers, broad technology

Cons

Culture, layers of management, hard to get things done.

IBM Response

Mar 2, 2017 – Communications Engagement Professional

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We are happy to hear that our great people, wonderful clients, and innovative technology have all made your experience at IBM enjoyable. We are regularly... More

9. "Analytics Platform"

Current Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Plattsburg, MO
    Current Employee - Software Sales Specialist in Plattsburg, MO

I have been working at IBM (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good overall vision for market and technology evolution. I have always stayed with IBM because of the vision and technology

Cons

Slow to execute, too many managers and too many Silo's. Large organization changes seem to start Silo first.

Poor execution by Sales Management, with no regard to customers or their relationships with IBM teams. Constantly being moved from developed or developing relationship to build new with solutions that have long sales cycles. Products removed from seller's bag, leading to loss of earnings (but expected to help close business, and to perform in the new territory), building and re-building relationships with customers which aggravates customer and extends sales cycles, effecting compensation (positively for those who follow pipe builders, negative for those leaving behind opportunities and gaining poorly executed territories).

Change is necessary, but have had 2 major shifts in 6 months leading to the worst year of my record (even though the territory I left is having a break-out year). Now the organization is firing for non-performance...which has never been a problem for me until this year's multiple changes. Very scary place to be even for a top performer.

Transformation is necessary, but should not disrupt relationships and families. Poor planning without collaboration with those with the relationship causes more strain than necessary.

Advice to Management

Fewer sellers, bigger bags of products, give sellers opportunity to keep and develop strong essential relationships.

"No longer a great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM Used to be an amazing, innovative company that cared about their employees, delivered excellent benefits, and drove their client's needs first.

Cons

Now, IBM will find any way possible to shave a dollar for our stockholders. They have peeled back benefits and tried to market it to employees masked as a positive, they resource employees once a month, and good employees are leaving for better opportunities. IBM has shifted from a client centric model to a stockholder first model.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be "innovative" and creating a bunch of millineal fluff. Get back to what our clients actually care about - products that work.