IBM Systems Service Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 28 reviews

3.4
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
  1. "System Service Representative"

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Manage your own schedule - Benefits since day 1 (healthcare, 1-2 weeks vacations, etc) - Opportunity to growth and transfer to other states - Friendly coworkers - Available Overtime - Paid for driven mileage ( from the workplace to customer offices)

Cons

- Must be available 24/7/365 (Usually told in advance if you are needed after hours)

IBM2017-08-11

"Big Boo"

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great hands on experience and Customer interfacing. The company is so big that you get lost in the sheer size of other people. Pay is average

Cons

Feast or Famine, you are either busy or not. No one will explain all the links on the websites or the multitude or things you need to keep up with and you are just expected to figure it out. Resource actions/WorkForce Reductions are becoming a yearly or quarterly thing, so dont expect to stay in a position for long. In my case my Manager was in a different city, hours away, so i only seen them a couple of... times, during new hire, round table meeting (bad), and when someone would quit to collect their company property (ie laptop and cell).

Advice to Management

upper management needs to fill in everyone as to what the direction is for the company and divisions, and be honest and open. Stop treating people like they are numbers on a spreadsheet, listen to the lower end managers when they are stating they have a problem. Good luck in the future, i dont see how you are going to keep cutting the company slimmer and expect the same work numbers and contracts to stay... around.

IBM2019-06-26

"No Opportunities for advancement"

Former Employee - Systems Service Representative

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Time off was always approved and no need to use vacation for Dr. appointments etc.

Cons

After many years of receiving higher than average reviews and 2 out of 9 years employed ranked highest in my group, still not available to advance career. Was always told I was "too valuable" to move away from what I was doing.

IBM2017-07-08
  4. "Beware of Resource Actions. Someone has to go., even if they are about to retire."

Former Employee - Systems Service Representative

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

401K matching Pays Travel For Work Job-related Paid Training/Per Diems Schedule work from home/office Depending on miles driven, possible company car/transit 24 hr support team & dispatch IPhone 5s or higher work phone. Job related certification opportunities Overtime opportunities

Cons

Management doesn't always have to understand your job to manage you. Buggy work related software/tools on Iphones, can delay your jobs. No progressive salary, raises, bonuses. Overtime may be demanded at anytime rather than requested/asked of you depending on client needs and priority. Hierchy system of management has poor communication at times in regards to employee needs. Resource... Actions Expectations/schedules might change without much notice.

Advice to Management

Encourage employees to succeed, raise salaries to improve morale. Hire .US Morale Team from .US and not Africa. Be good to your team, and they won't feel like they are not part of a team!

IBM2017-01-24
  5. "Educational Experience"

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

IBM has a fantastic education system to learn about the various products, centered in beautiful Boulder, Colorado. I learned more from IBM than I would have at a school.

Cons

As with all IT jobs, late night emergency work can't be avoided. Not specific to IBM, but it is my least favorite part of the job.

Advice to Management

Streamline online tools for technicians. Having to enter the same information in multiple systems is a time consuming burden.

IBM2016-07-25

"IBM does not value their employees, it's just not the company it used to be."

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative in Columbus, OH

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to put IBM on your resume. They do train you, but what's the point? They treat you like nothing afterwards. So, you start looking. We have lost so many people in the past two years, because they were unhappy, that our department is in shambles.

Cons

Management from the CEO down sucks. They will literally send people who are loyal employees overseas, have them train their replacements, then fire them. One of the most unethical companies I know. They have done away with so many things that once made this company THE place to work. Sad, because they make plenty of money and could treat their employees right. Instead they don't even call them people or employees,... they call us resources. That's all you are here. A resource. The CEO obviously doesn't care about us, she lays off thousands, and then doesn't see any problem with collecting a $4.5M bonus. She took that money after 15 straight months of declining revenue.. shameful.

Advice to Management

Fire Ginni... immediately.

IBM2016-08-30
  7. "System Service Rep"

Systems Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at IBM for more than 3 years

Pros

Healthcare, Vision, Training, Internal employment opportunities

Cons

IBM is a big company, it can take time to fill requests.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow your employees through education

IBM2016-03-14
  8. "My Experience"

Systems Service Representative in Temple City, CA

I worked at IBM for more than a year

Pros

Great managers. Easy to get a long with.

Cons

Worked as a sub contractor. No benefits or time off. Will not hire full time

Advice to Management

N/A

IBM2015-12-28
  9. "Great training with low job security"

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and experience. Livable wage and decent benefits.

Cons

Management is out of touch with employees. Too many layoffs and they have been known to force people to move without any relocation assistance. I feel a sense of instability in my position. I've had 3 managers in my first year...Moral is very low among SSR's.

Advice to Management

For upper management and Execs, find a way to raise moral or you will see a wave of good people moving on to companies who treat their employees like human beings.

IBM2015-08-05

"Looking over shoulder"

Current Employee - Systems Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IBM full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working behind a well known company. Lots of training available. All jib related certifications are paid for. Many employees have been with the company for a long time. They have lots of experience to share.

Cons

Having survived the last round of layoffs, I've come to find out that no job at IBM is safe. The company is not employee focused anymore. It's more about cuting costs (i.e. employees) if shares are down. Being a newer guy with the company has felt like I have a target on my back because older guys think I was hired to replace them.

Advice to Management

Think about cutting out some of the upper management and reduce their insane salaries and focus in innovation instead of share value.

IBM2015-02-24