IBM Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

IBM Toronto Reviews

Updated November 18, 2017

Toronto, ON, Canada Area (Canada)

3.5
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

1. "IBM has a lot to offer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with very smart and talented people.

Cons

Like all large organizations it takes a long time for change to occur.

Advice to Management

Help employees get the basics of their roles down before pushing special projects.

2. "Data Scientist"

Current Intern - Data Sc in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Intern - Data Sc in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities and innovation going on

Cons

Bad Management and very less guidance

3. "Fantastic opportunities to learn and grow"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IBM was my first full-time job after graduating from college, and it afforded many professional growth opportunities. I worked on a mature product in the middleware division.

My management chain was supportive of my career development and I received promotions, raises, and bonuses during my tenure. I had opportunities to learn many aspects of enterprise software development for a global customer base, such as internationalization, accessibility, fault-tolerant architecture, databases, and more. I also learned about other parts of the IBM organization, working with respected colleagues in sales, consulting, and support. IBM is a very client-centric company, focused on developing a deep understanding of verticals like healthcare and financial services.

Cons

IBM is a large global conglomerate with hundreds of thousands of employees, so many of the cons for me personally are simply due to its size and age, and are actually considered pros by others.

First, it is inevitable in a company of this scale that political prowess is necessary to make progress - a natural consequence of Metcalf's law. It can be frustrating at times but also a fantastic learning experience, and I've found these skills to be useful throughout my career.

Second, many IBM products are in maintenance mode, which provides stability and great work-life balance that many mid-career engineers enjoy, since they often have families and other commitments. For me personally, I was looking to have more of an opportunity to "think like an owner" and be heavily invested with a product and company.

Consider whether a large company or startup would be a better fit for you. HBR's "Do You Belong at a Start-Up" is a great read.

Advice to Management

Treat each initiative as if it had its own profit-and-loss accounting, providing product teams more freedom and discretion to implement solutions, but hold them accountable for their financial results. Consider the number of ex-IBMers that went on to create startups that were then acquired by IBM: those are missed learning opportunities and lost value for shareholders. IBM can be a market leader in software development, not just consulting and related services, but only if decisions are delegated to the lowest possible level: IBM cannot respond quickly to a rapidly-changing market if all decisions must be escalated five levels "up the chain". Specify constraints, then get out of the way.

4. "Program manager - Real Estate Mission Critical"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging, flexible, remote office, work from home, travel, construction, work on mission-critical projects, agile principles,

Cons

No raise, paperwork, dumb financial approval process, slow processes,

Advice to Management

Give raise to motivate employees

5. "Good place to work and learn but not the best pay"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

IBM is a great place to work with talented people and learn from them. The management of my team was not into much micro managing so I had a great deal of flexibility such as work from home.

Cons

Like all other corporates there is office politics and usually people who talk a lot will get promoted even if they are not very knowledgeable in what they do.

"sinking ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

most managers let you work autonomously, without micro-managing. Some flexibility re: work hours, etc.

Cons

Too many to list. Frozen wages, underhanded management practices, abolishing occasional work-from-home privileges (while most companies are starting to embrace it), etc...

Advice to Management

Does not matter, cuz management does not care about its employees; it cares ONLY about its shareholders. But don't take my word for it. There's an entire "Watching IBM" group on FB, where past and present employees share their disappointment with "big blue".

7. "Storage CTS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Good benefits. Sales has lots of autonomy to manage ones work.

Cons

No cross training ability, to move to another team takes about as much effort as looking for a job externally. If you're selling hardware/products and it's not Watson/Cognitive/Bluemix high margin stuff, you never know when you will be the next divestiture (eg: system X)

8. "Collaborative Culture"

Current Contractor - Talent Search Team Recruiter in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Talent Search Team Recruiter in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-highly innovative
    -remote work options
    -great office spaces

Cons

-some departments stuck in the old ways

"Summit Program"

Current Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Client Technical Specialist in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Large investment in your future
    High quality training
    Great opportunities

This summit program is a great way to start your career in sales or improve your skills mid career. You spend 6 months training, while being paid in full by IBM despite not bringing any revenue into the company. The instructors are of the highest quality.

During the 6 months, you also have the opportunity to get face time with executives and take on projects which will earn you credibility within the company.

Cons

Not easy, lots of work

The summit program is what you put into it. The more work you do, the more you'll get out of it. You will be taught by successful sellers who will try to teach you what worked for them, to help you become a successful seller with different approaches.

Advice to Management

This is a great program that needs to continue to evolve. Keep up the good work.

10. "Financial analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

World class training and people

Cons

Salary is average or below bar

Advice to Management

Invest in people

Showing 856 of 33,931 reviews