IBM Reviews in Tucson, AZ | Glassdoor

Tucson, AZ Area

1. "Good place to start"

Current Employee - Equipmetn Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Equipmetn Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Very well recognized company and leader in it's industry. Flexible working conditions as well as ability for mobile office and movement with in the company.

Cons

Too many managers for and top heavy on the executive level. Hard to advance with moving around a lot and or leaving the company and coming back.

Advice to Management

Vet your managers better and make sure they are up to and know the job they will be performing. Too much overlap in responsibilities.

2. "Interesting work, but high pressure and insufficient resources"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Good people to work with and the work can be interesting.

Cons

There is never enough time or people to do the work we're given. There is very high pressure to get any problem resolved immediately. Nights and weekend work is common, without compensation. There is little recognition for doing a job well the first time. But if you make a mistake and then correct it, then people notice that you fixed something, even though you were to the one to break it to begin with. As in many places, those that talk the loudest are those that advance, even if what they are so loudly talking about is nonsense.

Advice to Management

Give us better support and the resources we need to accomplish our work.

3. "STG - Valuable or not?"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The work is very interesting. There is a lot of variety in what one can work on and can learn.

Cons

There is a lot of churn in the products supported. It is unclear what our direction is. It is unclear where we will be in a few years. Is this a sustainable area? There is a long rich history for many of the product lines, but it sure seems like odd management decisions will prevent future growth. The people are smart and talented. We just need more 'vision' and commitment from upper management. This is still a profitable area, and yet we don't really get treated as an area of value.

Advice to Management

Fight for a clear vision and stick to it. Don't just look at profitability from one quarter to the next. Look at how we get to where we want and stay there year after year.

"IBM Software Group"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Opportunities are endless. Mobility between jobs is highly encouraged. Work/Life balance is fantastic. Exposure to global business as well as socio-cultural challenges.

Cons

Uncompetitive pay. Management communication lacks frankness.

Advice to Management

to stop losing your talented employees, make the pay competitive with the industry.

"Great opportunities for learning but little work/life balance"

Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Advisory Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

Pros

- Job flexibility. If you are determined to excel in your position then a world of options are opened to you. The complexity and far reaching nature of the company allows one to gain expertise that isn't even a part of their job description. If done right, one can mold their career and create a position suited for themselves.
    - Technology. If you are in a development/test role then you have access to just about all hardware/software available. Any OS, programming language, tape drive, hard drive tech, networking infrastructure.. etc... is there.
    - Benefits. Compared to many other companies, the benefits (medical, 401k, options....) are among the top.

Cons

The major down-side is definitely work/life balance. Although IBM advertises a great balance, you'll only find this being used by those whose roles are not essential. Any valued leader will find themselves faced with understanding the big picture. This applies to the matrixed organization, product design, team dynamics, market direction, and even client satisfaction. Due to the large nature of the company, understanding and working with the previously mentioned aspects takes much time... more than 8 hours in a day. There are many within the company that simply do not go this far in their understanding and their work/life balance is probably great... however it places a burden on others in charge who have to make up for their shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Please try to weed out the non-performers who seek management titles because they are inept at their current job. There are to many of these people who get through.....

7. "good pay but high stress if you will have a job tomorrow."

Current Employee - Computers in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Computers in Tucson, AZ

Pros

The pay. Good pay and easy work. I have simple projects with lots of detail. The deadlines are flexible as long as I am making progress. The pay is great but since I am with a contractor, no benefits.

Cons

The lack of job security. One week im secure for years, the next week I am on the chopping block. Very nerve racking. There seems to be always a budget issue. Apparently it is possible to go from contractor status to full time regular status....but we shall see. Also there is no teaching. You need to learn the job yourself or you sink.

Advice to Management

MAKE UP YOUR MINDS!!! I hate all of the corporate restructuring. Just let me do my job and tell me I have a job at least for another year. If not, let me know so I can go look for something else.

8. "It's a job ..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

It's not the best place to work or the worst - it's a job.

Cons

They are Poughkeepsie-centric. All opportunites for growth and advancements are given to employees at the IBM Poughkeepsie site.

Advice to Management

Think about the needs of your employees as much as you think about increasing profits for your stockholders. Some of us have had to bring our own office supplies. We also have to do system maintenance ourselves on our workstations.

"A respectable company that needs to do some damage control before its too late."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tucson, AZ

Pros

It always looks good to have IBM on your resume since it is such a respected company. There are good, intelligent people to learn from. IBM pushes innovation so most of their employees hold multiple patents.

Cons

No one seems satisfied at IBM Tucson. Many people have left or are looking for work outside the company. The main reasons are compensation and career advancement.

Advice to Management

The compensation program needs to be adjusted. That is most people's main complaint as their co-workers are able to get jobs outside the company make upwards of 20% more in salary. Compressed work weeks is another perk outside companies are offerring that IBM may seriously want to consider. Additionally, senior positions are filled by people retired on the job while people with less years are doing all the work and getting none of the recognition.

Showing 28 of 28,858 reviews