IBM Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

3,996 Ratings

9,338 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to manage your work life balance or you'll end up doing the work of 2 or more people (in 929 reviews)

• Long hours like everwhere elses (in 442 reviews)

"Advisory Engineer in STG, IBM"

Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Engineer in Hopewell Junction, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Disclaimer: A lot of what I'm writing below of course depends on the work area and management chain. But I found this to be fairly pervasive policies in IBM in my 9+ years with the company.
    1. IBM's policies and management are very flexible when it comes to working remotely or accommodating various life situations (sick days, doctor visits, etc.). Management is encouraged to measure an employee by their work and impact, and not by hours spent at their office.
    2. Great colleagues! Though unfortunately, many have been leaving due to the instability of IBM's HW development business.
    3. At least in my area, there's a high level of flexibility on which projects should I undertake based on my and my management assessment of business impact.

Cons

1. Unfortunately, IBM still uses the "normal distribution" rating system, where at the end of the year each employee is ranked as a top contributor (5%), above average contributor (15%), average contributor (~75%), and bottom contributor (5%). This curve is difficult to apply in the R&D world, where you may have many members of the team working long and hard hours, and end up being "average contributors" at the end of the year, because there just isn't room for all to be top contributors.

2. The above may not be so disturbing, if only IBM didn't practically cancelled all raises, performance bonuses and incentive for the non top-performers. I've had a consistent "above average" rating in the last 4-5 years, and my raise and performance bonus were ridiculous mere 1.5-2% of my salary. Were I rated "average contributor" I would have gotten NOTHING. So you can imagine that people can go year after year without any raise to their salary.

From talking to manager friend, this is IBM's way to eliminate the non-top-performers without having to fire them, as part of its direction of reducing US manpower.

3. Hiring freeze in many areas - again, as part of IBM's attempt to reduce its workforce across North America and Europe we see many jobs move to the India and Far East markets. This is of course upsetting to see local teams shrink and disappear, especially when many great local IBM colleagues and experts begin to drop out. From my experience thus far working with India SW teams - they are still very far away from the standards I would have expected from US and Europe based teams.

4. Poor top down communication about company's and divisions' future. Employees learn from rumors and news websites what's about to come...

Advice to Management

Management must keep in mind that it today's world, which is saturated with brilliant companies that hire top talent, IBM must remain competitive to attract great talent and hold on to it. In the meanwhile, we're seeing the opposite trend, where great people leave IBM for other companies, be it because of a more competitive package, dropping morale and many other reasons.

IBM Response

Feb 12, 2016 – VP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your experience, and we're glad that you've had a positive experience working with talented colleagues and taking advantage of IBM's programs. IBM is in the midst of a major... More

2. "Incredible company incredible people"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in New York, NY

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IBM has a strong career path for technical people. You can get a mentor who really cares about you and help you to plan your career over the next 10 years.
    IBM really cares about Making it easy for people with diverse backgrounds to work together without discrimination. I’m not going to say that women have it perfect out here, but management makes an active effort to promote women and this creates an atmosphere which is more conducive to collaboration than any I have seen elsewhere. Discrimination against Asians is nonexistent, or at least not significant enough for me to detect.
    People will go out of their way to help you.
    There is a wealth of opportunities to progress at any time. You need to ensure that you are aligned with the company goals rather than just what your manager is asking you to do.

Cons

The biggest problem at working at IBM is to take an idea and to have world-class impact. It’s relatively easy to have any impact at the scale off one customer or even one line of business but to create a product that’s going to revolutionize the world is difficult.

Advice to Management

There is a reservoir of goodwill towards IBM in the world. Use it.

3. "Overall good experience"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Great people to work with, lots of room for growth

Cons

Large company, always restructuring and very siloed so it's hard to keep track of what's going on

Advice to Management

Find ways to

4. "Excellent Company who have made history"

Current Employee - Senior Portfolio Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Portfolio Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lot of opportunities to work on the cutting edge technology and upgrade your skills.

Cons

Very large organization sometimes you get lost with the changes happening all around

Advice to Management

Simplify the org structure and offering to provide a better view to the client.

5. "Inside Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Littleton, MA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Potential for growth is positive

Cons

Depending on where in the org, it could become a boys club

6. "SRT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team building events for employees

Cons

Not enough opportunity for advancement.

7. "How is IBM"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Lot of things a person can learn with great career opportunities

Cons

The pay grade is much lesser compared to market

8. "Culture that aims to continually improve, but values work-life balance."

Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant - Strategy in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Constantly transforming, the company culture inspires in its individuals the desire to transform and improve. Also, work-life balance is great, especially for senior managing consultant level and below. 40-45 hour work weeks common. People care about people. Latest extension from 6 to 12 weeks for paternity leave demonstrates a continued recognition of the balance that people crave.

Cons

typical downsides of transformation. There is a serious undercurrent of tried and true employees who are not embracing a new way, but upper management is on the side of pushing the boundaries - and that side will win out eventually.

Advice to Management

Push even more swiftly to change this company to meet what the market wants.

9. "Good benefits, great people"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in New Haven, CT

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, flexibility working environment

Cons

Difficult to navigate political structure

10. "Good Internship Experience"

Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Intern - Applications Support Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at IBM as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Individual project, many intern events, and very agile environment

Cons

No relocation assistance, not enough pay for relocating to another state for the role.

Showing 9,338 of 33,844 reviews