IBM Reviews in United States | Glassdoor

4,384 Ratings

10,050 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "At times difficult work life balance" (in 1010 reviews)

• "Long Hours suck sometimes but not too bad" (in 474 reviews)

1. "Application Architect : Middleware"

Current Employee - Applications Architect in Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Applications Architect in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

one of the best IT company

Cons

Too big to handle :)

Advice to Management

take more care of employees.

"Worked on two teams, had two very different experiences."

Former Employee - Advisory Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Advisory Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at IBM (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Mobility within the company, and the culture to encourages it. I worked for 1.5 years on one team and then moved to another for another 1.5 years that was under different leadership.
    - Excitement of being at Watson post-Jeopardy when it transitioned from a research effort to an entire product group.
    - First team situated in the Watson CTO org was in a special projects group that valued innovation, attempted to cultivate an edgier company culture.
    - Second team situated closer to Watson research efforts also had exciting projects, provided great mentoring, helped me improve greatly as an engineer. Fantastic work/life balance, set your own hours etc.
    - Paternity leave was adequate.

Cons

- No to very little in the way of bonuses each year.
    - Difficult to move up in the org. Manager wanted to give me a band adjustment, but wasn't allowed to do it for anyone.
    - First team I worked on had a director, who was overly demanding, disliked in the org, manipulative, disqualified for the job technically / creatively, would frequently ask in the morning what you'd accomplished last night and encouraged working through the weekends--a nasty flip-side of a company trying to change its culture. This director was eventually shutdown, but only after years of bad behavior.
    - Second team was frequently moving from project to project, and not linked to efforts that brought a lot of value. Manager barely managed, and was focused more on his own research and credibility as an academic, than the wellbeing of his team. He also didn't have many friends in the org. This team was remote and in my year and half there, the company only flew me out once for the initial interview. The second time I went at my own expense, since my family was visiting a friend in the city. Typical of IBM having very constrained budgets for travel.

3. "Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, kind and helpful employees.
    Worked out of the NYC WeWork office, which has a fun culture.

Cons

Horrible bureaucracy and slow processes

4. "Good place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Armonk, NY

I worked at IBM (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to work, light work pressure. Variety of projects & opportunities.

Cons

Low starting salary(for freshers). Good for experienced personnel.

5. "bonus"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

easy hours, easy work, etc.

Cons

easy work, no bonus, upper anagement

Advice to Management

give bonuses to top performers

6. "Great Internship"

Current Intern - Technical Solutions Sales in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Technical Solutions Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience, fair pay, great management

Cons

Not much need to come into the office. Most full times work from home.

7. "Good amount of responsibility; difficult to move around projects"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was based entirely in Washington, DC, so never traveled. This review is not for public sector consulting, which seems pretty different from private sector. I was given a good amount of responsibility pretty early in my career. Managers were always very supportive of me and were reasonable about deadlines. Since it's a large company, there were regular discussions about my career trajectory and options for growth within the company. Benefits were excellent, with many low fee index funds offered in the 401k. There were lots of happy hours and networking opportunities. I never worked more than 40-45 hours per week.

Cons

I was in the Public Sector Consulting division, and it was basically impossible to move form one project to another. It didn't really feel like "consulting", more like you were IT support for government agencies for certain types of business software. Most of the projects were very long term.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to move around between projects.

8. "Got Lucky with a Great Team and Non-Legacy Product"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at IBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the time of my employment, IBM was providing a 3-month bootcamp for new hires, where they essentially walk you through how to design for an enterprise company. I felt extremely fortunate to have started my professional career with this program, as it taught you how to collaborate, organize, present, and execute outside of a college context.

IBM's Design program also cares deeply about company culture, and hire people that I found to be some of the best to work with in my professional career. They understand that the ability to collaborate is far more important than talent alone.

Additionally, I found extensive room to grow during my career at IBM. My boss allowed us to create our own programs, such as "learning sessions" to learn, for example, Github from our front end dev, and attend conferences. Teammates who stayed on after I left were also promoted to leads to reward their growth and contributions. If you find the right team within the company, the opportunities were invaluable.

Cons

Retention. Unfortunately, the structure of this bootcamp led to lofty expectations of work environments outside of the Austin office. I gave such a high rating because I personally was very fortunate to be part of a great product we have a lot of personal control in, and saw through from research to launch. However, it really comes down to the team and the office location. The design program is large, and every experience I've heard has varied greatly, along with how long they stayed on at IBM.

9. "Joining the winning team @ IBM"

Current Employee - CyberSecurity Specialist - Security Solutions Architect in Madison, WI

I have been working at IBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent teamwork, great leadership, incredible opportunity, Fantastic place to work!

Cons

Trying to stay business focused - while still executing on all of the required professional enablement IBM provides (which BTW - is and can be viewed as a pro as well)! I have accomplished 14 Security certifications!

10. "Summit Digital Sales intern"

Current Intern - digital sales intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - digital sales intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IBM as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was in the Smyrna office and had a great time- I was involved in several projects and was able to network all around the company. I grew tremendously in the brief 11 week internship and could not see myself anywhere else.

Cons

I was lucky enough to have a manager who went out of their way to get me involved with projects. This is not a company where you can succeed if you are not self-driven. you have to find people to get involved with and always be looking for ways to contribute. Some complaints that others in my cohort made revolved around not having enough to do, so you have to be the kind of person who finds things to do.Also one small thing- if you do not have car, get one or find someone to carpool with. Taking public transit to get to the smyrna office is pretty tough.

Advice to Management

Keep giving interns opportunities on projects, we have a lot of ideas to contribute and love getting involved.

Showing 10,050 of 39,055 reviews